9 replies to this topic

#1 B.L.Z.BUB

B.L.Z.BUB

Ninja Jesus

• Admin
  • 8443 posts
  • Online:Today, 06:44 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

Three time Formula One world champion, Australian National Treasure and all round top bloke.

A great loss for Australian Motorsport and a true legend. The only driver to build and win with his own F1 car.

5461690-3x2-940x627.jpg

ABC News Article here.

Edited by B.L.Z.BUB, 19 May 2014 - 06:10 PM.

​Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.
If you walk away from your car and don't look back, you bought the wrong car.

#2 GJM85

GJM85

Well Known Member

• Donor
  • 1802 posts
  • Online:Today, 06:00 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:33 PM

Sad day for Australia, sad day for Motorsport.
"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." - Frederic Bastiat

#3 Redwarf

Redwarf

Banana.

• Global Moderator
  • 5202 posts
  • Online:10 Jan 2017 05:48 AM

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:14 PM

There will never be another like him. Great driver, great engineer. True gentleman. And, in his later years, deaf as a post.

I was talking to a friend tonight, and a number of years ago, Subaru ran a day at Mt Cotton with Sir Jack doing hot laps in a WRX. One of his son's told a nervous lady to squeeze Sir Jacks leg if she got frightened and he'd slow down. He told Sir Jack to speed up if she touched his leg. Hilarity ensued.

The word legend is bandied around too much these days, however to this man it is fitting.

Vale Sir Jack Brabham.
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

#4 altezzaclub

altezzaclub

Uber Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5525 posts
  • Online:Yesterday, 09:22 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wonder how many speeding tickets he got??

...and how many times he didn't get caught!
The Girl's KE70 ...........................................................and The Golden Hoonicorn
http://www.rollaclub...showtopic=42407..................................... http://www.rollaclub...lden-hoonicorn/

How not to build a rally car ......................................................... ..and HOW to build a rally car-
http://www.rollaclub...089#entry641089 ................................ http://www.rollaclub...ld-a-rally-car/

#5 Banjo

Banjo

"Long Live the KE"

• 641 posts
  • Online:Yesterday, 10:11 PM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:27 AM

It is indeed a sad day for Australian Motor Sport ! I remember well following his exploits when I was a kid, and some of the early black & white footage of those races are still available on the internet. It is said he was fearless, and he must have been, because the deaths of so many drivers (30 during Sir Jack's career alone) would normally effect one.

What always amazes me looking back at those fantastic days of early Australian & Formula 1 racing, was the lack of safety, compared with what we have today. The hay bales, the very basic tracks, and that guy waving the flag out on the road only inches from the winning car in full flight.

Then there were the cars, beautifully simple as there were, which when they did crash big time, usually completely disintegrated.

Yes, Sir Jack embodied what Australians are reknown for, and would like to be . . . . . Innovative, Determined & Fearless.

RIP Sir Jack, and thanks for the memories.

P.S. I look forward to some good documentaries of his life on TV, which will undoubtedly appear shortly, now that he has gone.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo, 20 May 2014 - 11:28 AM.

Keep them olde COROLLAs rollin !

#6 ke70dave

ke70dave

Well Known Member

• Tech Moderator
  • 3630 posts
  • Online:Today, 11:35 AM

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:56 AM

Geez he did some things in his life

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Jack_Brabham

"Brabham's driving on public roads was described as "safe as houses",[19] unlike many of his contemporaries—on the way back from the 1957 Pescara Grand Prix, passenger Tony Brooks took over driving after Brabham refused to overtake a long line of lorries."

So perhaps not that many speeding tickets then.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts.

#7 Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

World's Greatest Sword Fighter

• Donor
  • 2054 posts
  • Online:Today, 08:50 AM

Posted 22 May 2014 - 02:18 PM

View Postke70dave, on 20 May 2014 - 11:56 AM, said:

Geez he did some things in his life

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Jack_Brabham

"Brabham's driving on public roads was described as "safe as houses",[19] unlike many of his contemporaries—on the way back from the 1957 Pescara Grand Prix, passenger Tony Brooks took over driving after Brabham refused to overtake a long line of lorries."

So perhaps not that many speeding tickets then.

Reminds me of Rush where Nikki hitches a ride with some Italians and they want him to drive their car - my guess is that quite a few racing drivers drove sedately and cautiously off the race-track
Posted Image
Charlene, 1998 AE102 Conquest sedan - Reborn
Billie, 1981 KE55 SE sedan - I told you it was loud. Mysteriously morphed into an AE82 Seca - GOOOOONE
Rosie, 1986 AE82 Twincam Seca - 70.8 fwkw. Broke my 4AGE cherry. TVIS kicked in, apparently. No longer a car, now garage space
Charlie, 1988 ST162 Celica SX liftback - She drives it, I fix it - now occupying said garage space
Lexi, 1995 JZZ30 Soarer GTT - Now an organ donor

#8 Project Sprinter

Project Sprinter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Online:21 Nov 2016 06:53 PM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Although it has been some weeks now since Sir Jack passed away, I had at first reserved blogging anything because I wanted to see how we would as a nation chose how to best immortalise the memory of him.

I may have missed something along the way here; but after the tributes flowed in the general and motoring media I have not truly seen anything that is planned and is commensurate with the legend that Sir Jack was and will always be.

Just wish I had the financial wherewithal to create a museum!
;)

#9 B.L.Z.BUB

B.L.Z.BUB

Ninja Jesus

• Admin
  • 8443 posts
  • Online:Today, 06:44 AM

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:33 PM

Hopefully there is a tribute at next years Australian GP. Maybe Clive Palmer can sort something out, he loves his cars.
​Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.
If you walk away from your car and don't look back, you bought the wrong car.

#10 Taz_Rx

Taz_Rx

Brappn or boostn

• Tech Moderator
  • 6578 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

There is a state funeral for him next week on the gold coast somewhere.
Was the main off the track topic at the Monaco gp coverage. I'm sure there will still be some sort of doco in the making too.
I am just a worthless liar, I am just an imbecile. I will only complicate you, trust in me and fall aswell.

TAR - KE55E 5KTE. BB T28, 7K EFI, T50...all the good stuff!! :)
DIRT - KE55E 3/4kc. 4k w/- 3kBP head, 609 lumpstick, weber, extractors & exhaust etc....all the left overs!! :P
Un-named RX4 - 13bbp, weber, 2x2.5 ex, lensos....too much more to list!! :?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users