4age/4agze/4agte/ Alternator Wirring

demotorsport

hey guys

need some help/advice with wirring up alternator

its the stock type with output b on the thread with a nut and a circle plug on back with 3 wires

sense,ignition and lamp wire

1st Do they have a built in regulator???

2nd i have wired pin b with tread dirrect to battery and didnt use the plug with 3 wires and it don't charge

if i wire up the 3 wire plug will it start to charge???

3rd what does the 3 wire plug do and how is it connected???

i have a diagram from a moderator posted on here and it says

s= 12 volt reference so i guess this is linked to b along with battery wire

l= dash lamp charge light

ig= igniton switched source so i guess this goes to ignition wire

can some1 confirm the above and tell me if I'm on the rite track please

thanks

Members dont see this ad

*Re-located to the correct sub-forum*

Yep, You have got it pretty much spot on there, (as described on ae86dc just recently - http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...c=29433&hl= )

(more info here on the rollaclub FAQ - http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit..._Wiring_Diagram )

4AG(Z)E motors usually run a Denso Internally regulated alternator with a 3 pin plug connector. (There is a round type plug and an oval type plug). - Should really find the pin diagram for the round one as thats whats on the 4AGZE ones I think..

The main post (B+) goes straight to your battery...

3 Pin plug has,

IG = Ignition

L = Lamp

S = Sense

Ignition (Ignition switched 12v - Think its either Black/Red, Black/Orange or Black/Yellow)

Yellow should be the lamp (Goes to ground/frame return when the alternator spins up)

thick White should be sense (Goes to battery to sense battery voltage for voltage regulation)

And yes it does require the 3 Pin plug to power up the internal regulator to make it charge and the warning light work...

*Re-located to the correct sub-forum*

Yep, You have got it pretty much spot on there, (as described on ae86dc just recently - http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/board/in...c=29433&hl= )

(more info here on the rollaclub FAQ - http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?tit..._Wiring_Diagram )

4AG(Z)E motors usually run a Denso Internally regulated alternator with a 3 pin plug connector. (There is a round type plug and an oval type plug). - Should really find the pin diagram for the round one as thats whats on the 4AGZE ones I think..

The main post (B+) goes straight to your battery...

3 Pin plug has,

IG = Ignition

L = Lamp

S = Sense

Ignition (Ignition switched 12v - Think its either Black/Red, Black/Orange or Black/Yellow)

Yellow should be the lamp (Goes to ground/frame return when the alternator spins up)

thick White should be sense (Goes to battery to sense battery voltage for voltage regulation)

And yes it does require the 3 Pin plug to power up the internal regulator to make it charge and the warning light work...

your corrrect i have the circle plug type and also have the oval type for a spare

so

white wire to 12v battery(b termainal)

black yellow to ignition wire

yellow to lamp(dash light)

i only have 1 problem

i don't know where the dash light wire for dash is as its in a old datsun and can't find it can i leave it out???

or whats a way around this problem as i don't understand what you said about it???

(HOPE I CAN LEAVE THAT OUT OR DO SOMETHING ELSE BOUT IT)

and can you also post the oval type wirring instructions for future referance????

thank you so much mate your a life saver i will get onto it asap cause its the only thing stopping me from driving the car for the 1st time

thanks alot mate

Aah, I thought you were putting it into a corolla, The wire colour may change in another vehicle, Basically with your ignition on, Once you touch the wire to the vehicles earth/frame return the charge light should come on on the dash. Not 100% necessary for the alternator to charge, But good to know that your alternator is charging and working properly..

I will look up the wiring diagram for the later alternators and put that up in the same section of the FAQ..

Aah, I thought you were putting it into a corolla, The wire colour may change in another vehicle, Basically with your ignition on, Once you touch the wire to the vehicles earth/frame return the charge light should come on on the dash. Not 100% necessary for the alternator to charge, But good to know that your alternator is charging and working properly..

I will look up the wiring diagram for the later alternators and put that up in the same section of the FAQ..

the wires are like you said colour wise and the plug is the same as the 1 you posted on another thread

the diagram and picture you posted somewhere else is the same as my alternator and the plug i got off another toyota from a wrecker yard and i cut the plug far off so there is a good 50mm to 100mm of wire coming out of plug

but i see what your saying i just have to find

ignition wire to match the wire off the alternator

and loop the white power wire to the main b terminal of the alternator where the main power +12v goes from battery

and for now ill leave the lamp wire disconected

and do you think then the alternator will charge???

is this all correct just to confirm???

Thank you very much for your help i been checking for your replies all day...lol...

Yeah, Ideally the white wire should go back to the battery as that is where it needs to sense the voltage, but you can in theory do it to the post on the alternator but that is a tad dodgy..

Once you have at least a battery and ignition to that plug the alternator should charge when the engine is running..

Yeah, Ideally the white wire should go back to the battery as that is where it needs to sense the voltage, but you can in theory do it to the post on the alternator but that is a tad dodgy..

Once you have at least a battery and ignition to that plug the alternator should charge when the engine is running..

the battery is at the back of the car so will be a pain to do but if you recomend it i trust you enough to do it like you say

to the post i have

power from main lead from battery in boot that feeds the starter motor then back to alternator post via smaller wire+fusible link wire

ecu relay power to alt post

fuel pumps relay power to alt post

i don't realy get how the battery will charge if the power is going 1 way and the alt charge wants to go other way

probably stupid question but I'm intrested how it works???

ill probably run the sense wire to the conection where the main power cable meets the starter cable along with where the alt cable all joins up (but i see no difference realy) but is this less dodgy or should i run a wire to the boot???

and ill leave the lamp wire off untill i work out where it comes off the instrumental panel

thanks alot for all this mate i realy do appreciate it

• 4 months later...