Great Ocean Rd Cruise. 27-28jan '07 Aus Day Weekend

TheNOBBLER

Hey all,

I have been wanting to do a decent Ocean Rd run for a few years now, but have never had enough people interested to do the trip.

SOO, I thought I would run it by the Rollaclub members and see what you all think.

I was thinking of meeting up in the burbs and then making the run to Torquay for lunch or just a stop and gasbag.

As we have members from down on the peninsular they could maybe take the ferry over and meet us at Geelong of Torquay... either ither.

We would have to decide on how much of a trip it would be, do we make our way to Lorne and hit the beach on the way there or back? Or do we make a weekend out of it and drive to Apollo Bay and camp the night, then make our way back the next day? This would make for a great night camping etc... Just an idea!

I threw in the camping idea as it might be a bit much driving to Apollo Bay and then back in a day, thoughts?

Another idea (if people would be prepared to make this an overnight event) is to stay in Aireys inlet (between Anglesea and Lorne), I have a contact there that would most likely be happy to have us use there holiday house for the night, provided we don't leave it in a mess and throw in, say $10 each for power etc and just to be nice!

From there we have many surf sport to head to and/or we could make the run up to Lorne and have some fun over there.

I thought this would happen late November early December, or make it late Jan early Feb.

Ok, might have thrown in a bit to much info for the min, but still.

What does everyone think?

Jarrad

Attending Members List! Will Be Updated Regularly!

I have a list of people who have confirmed they are coming and camping/not camping etc. Heres what I have so far...

Camping:

TheNOBBLER (Me) + one (Paid in full)

MRMOPARMAN + one (Paid in full)

kickn5k + one (Paid in full)

Muller

Webbers4x48 (Paid in full)

Pozman + three (Paid in full)

Raven + one (SA) (Paid in full)

Teddy(QLD) (Pay on Trip)

Raceflorolla (SA) (Paid in full)

Not Camping:

Gze82

I also have a list of people who have shown interest but not yet confirmed.

Born Rolla (SA)

killer ke70

woteva (SA)

Rightio! Thats 16 people confirmed camping so far, one confirmed for the day trip and 3 still thinking about it... I will update this as we go.

What I now need is for anyone who is bringing someone elso to let me know so I can put you on the list... Otherwise if you are camping it will cause problems when we get there. This isnt a problem if your only daytripping.

PLEASE CONFIRM THIS ASAP!!!! posts concerning stickers/meals/other ideas. This way I can sort out deposits asap.

Thanks all...

Jarrad

Edited by TheNOBBLER

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posman, webers and i were just talking about that sort of thing on the weekend. A mate of mine a mini trucker goes on one of these things once a year in nsw and they have like 200 plus trucks attend i don't mean we need that many i mean guys come from mainly east coast but i think as it is almost halfway should someone let the guys from SA know they might be interested depending on date should be in though.

Oh god how i love mini trucks. That thing that your mate goes to is ECC (East Coast Cruise) Long weekend. I have to make it to one oneday.

Thats the one. He has like a 350kw at wheels rodeo 20`s awesome paint, stereo, interior hes missus has a 4 door(under construction) with airbags, custom airbrushed paint, and also 20`s.

he runs sound obsetion don't have number but they are in new street FRANKSTON. They sell alpine, boston acoustic, and now clarion. does a great custom install. but getting back on the topic, count me in just need a bit of notice to organise long service leave.

Thats the one. He has like a 350kw at wheels rodeo 20`s awesome paint, stereo, interior hes missus has a 4 door(under construction) with airbags, custom airbrushed paint, and also 20`s.

he runs sound obsetion don't have number but they are in new street FRANKSTON. They sell alpine, boston acoustic, and now clarion. does a great custom install. but getting back on the topic, count me in just need a bit of notice to organise long service leave.

'SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUP UP lol. i have no money but if you keep sayin stuff like that ill end up buying one :)

'SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUP UP lol. i have no money but if you keep sayin stuff like that ill end up buying one :)

Haha! That sounds like most of us!

I'm glad there are some keen people out there! As I said, I have been wanting to do this for years but havent had the numbers.

Ok, so its sounding like everyone needs some time to get things sorted, we have had one suggestion of early next year so this would seem about right? Any other takers? I suppose the only long weekend early in the year is the Australia day weekend, have a think about that one...

I am also assuming more people will be in for the weekend rather than the day trip? If this is the case I will get some info on accomodation etc and post it up, but I need to know what everyone is thinking here (refer to 1st post I guess) so I can figure out which direction to take.

I will post this up in the S.A page as well, that was a good idea kickn5k. The more the merrier.... well, to a point. Somehow I don't think 200 cars on the 1st event would go down to well!

Also, on the numbers note. I'm not fussed if people arent driving a Rolla, it would be great to see the majority of cars being Corollas but in reality it isnt always possible. That said, I don't want this turining into a Commodore cruise etc. Basically, if you have some mates that might be interested (and will be reasonably well behaved) then let them know... but also let us know!

SO, what I need form you all is ideas for dates, accomodation etc and what you would want out of this trip. If all goes ahead and goes well this could even become an annual event... that would be nice!

Cheers and thanks for the responses.

Jarrad

The idea of having an anual cruise would be fantastic. You on the money with that one!

I agree with the what you say about not worrying too much about corolla attendance, but we should more focus on geting numbers and from there get people to bring rollas next time.

We will definatly need a long weekend for it so its almost going to have to be Australia Day wekend. Unless a week can be found where everyone can get the monday off which would be almost impossible.

One of the guys i work with is trying to organise a car cruise around the same time an place. No club, just randome cars. Ill have a talk to him but he is trying to get 100-150 cars together.

As for accomodation, my suggestion would be a nice caravan park so people can stay, depending on finance and how much they spent on getting there and what not, in a unit thingi, a caravan or camp in a tent maybe.

or... you could get one of them holiday houses that sleep 10 or something and split it. As long as no one has any weird sleeping habbits or sleepwalks :)

Just more ideas for the trip.

yeah i in for sure, as long as i can get work off, and ill have two other mates that will be there.

mite even have the ca18 in the rolla buy then.

i'm itching for this already god damn it

Edited by pozman

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, its finally time for an update!

Well, I have been on the phone and the net looking at accommodation in Apollo Bay, I was loking here as if we are going to make a great ocean rd trip we might as well do it properly! Also, it makes it easier for the SA mob to make the trip if they like.

I have spoken to four Caravan/recreational parks about accomodating us over the Aus Day weekend and sadly it doesnt looke to good. I thought the idea of having it on that weekend might come unstuck and it has. This is mailny due to the fact that it is still school holidays at that time and most of the parks want a 7day booking as a minimum of a complete (3 day) weekend. The advice from all of the parks that I spoke to was to come back a bit later in the year )after school holidays) and to book as far in advance as possible as there weekend accomodation fills quite quickly.

Costa varied from park to park, but werent to bad. I only priced powered sites as I thought we would like some light at night etc, unpowered sites were only slightly cheaper from what I was told also.

I priced accomdation for 15 people and 10 cars, They were:

$40 peak to $20 off peak per site for 2 peolpe, extra Audults were $10 to $15 extra per person, not bad really. Each site holds approx 4 people. All of the parks were in (or bloody close to) Apollo bay and were all a stones throw from the beach and shops etc.

Ok, well, now we have some decisions to make.

Do we keep the proposed date as Aus day and look in surrounding towns (eg. Lorne, aireys inlet, angle sea etc) for accomodation over the weekend?

Or do we do as advised and make it slightly later in the year, when it is still warm, and head right through to Apollo Bay and camp the nigth there?

I am sure we will have many more questions to be asked and answered so post them up along with your thoughts on the new info.

Also, sorry if the spelling is shithouse! My computer restarted halfway through posting this up and now I'm out of time to do it right! If I have missed any info I have gathered I will post it up later on.

Cheers,

Jarrad