Early Model Corrolla Brake Upgrades

YKE 20T

Hi all

have been doing a bit of research and hunting around for brake solutions for early model rollas. there are a few options involving strut changes and lca mods. whilst these may suit some people i got in touch with a few engineering joints in regards to custom hubs. Hoppers Stoppers in melbourne were the best as they do a full bolt in kit for all the the early rollas, celicas and corona`s. this is my preffered option as the is no f@#king around with struts and lca`s.

here`s the specs

"We do a bolt on kit for the front of KE 20 the which adapts 290 by 28 AU3 Ford vented rotors and AU3 twin piston calipers to the std strut/stub axle.

Miinimum 15 inch wheels, and 4 or 5 stud can all be catered for.

290 mm Kits are $1200 with smooth rotors $1300 slotted and $1350 drilled and slotted.

This price includes ADR7 rubber hoses, add $70 a pair for ADR7 approved Braided.

This gets the whole package,new DBA rotors, Twin piston PBR calipers, pads,hubs, bearings, seals, grease caps, bracket, spacers and hoses all totally

bolt on with no mods, Calipers come red, black yellow or alloy all same price.

You will also need to adapt a 1 inch tandem master cylinder and if not already fitteed get a booster , we can do a master for $220 and booster for $280."

here are the details

9 Nevada Crt. Hoppers Crossing, VIC 3029

PH. (03) 97486950 FAX. (03) 9748 5965

Members dont see this ad

That kit was developed on my ra23 celica, now what they have not told you, is that your required to use a xt130 corona strut due to the fact that the stub axel in celica, and corolla just aint big enough to suit the bearings on the disc they install. I already had these struts in my car when they developed their kit, I told em what strut was in it, perhaps they have forgotten or the person you got in contact with just doesn't know. In a XA23 onwards celica it isnt a problem because the legnth of the XT130 strut is correct, in a TA22 and corolla there presents a problem, and in a corolla you also need to swap the LCA. This is what the setup looks like. Added a pic of the car to, God i miss that thing

post-2320-1171268920_thumb.jpg

post-2320-1171268973_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
yea sounds a bit expensive on brakes but i guess if u have a big enough motor......

I've made posts about my setup on here before, i'll put a guide up when its all finished.

With regard to using XT130 strut in ke20, its a no go unless you change LCA or steering arm. I based my upgrade on the R31 strut as its a bolt in jobie on the LCA, and runs a similar kingpin angle.

• 2 weeks later...

i will post some pix soon but my mate has just finnished fitting early commodore brakes to his rolla and if you can do early then you can also do vt. early specs = 279mm vented single piston caliper 13/16" master cylinder vt= 296mm vented twin piston caliper 1" master shouldnt be to hard to moddify booster

the ke20 has ca18det in the engine bay. she gets taken to the hill climb pretty regularly and given that i am less than an hour from wakefeild i was intending to get her on the track . i also want to get it engineered for the street so a serious braking package is in order. cost is a factor but brakes is one thing that i don't intend to skimp. with engineering i think it would be a bit easier if the car still has the standard struts and steering arms. looking around and considering all options.

well the guy seems to have a big intercooler, so maybe if we know what engine is in it we could help out a bit more, theres no reason to go overkill on brakes

Brakes are about the most important thing on the car as far as safety goes, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as overkill on brakes. I'd rather spend thousands on brakes and KNOW that my car will pull up, than be a tight ass and hope for the best as I come screaming into a corner