Ke70/ae71/te72/ae86 Similarities & Differences

Okay, I'm trying to research which bits can be shared between AE86's and AE71's, but a lot of this info may also be helpful for TE72, and more obviously, KE70 owners. If I can successfully get this info together, I'll be creating an article for the FAQ with it all contained within, so if you know (for certain) anything, please list it below.

I'm trying to find out the following:

1. Can a set of coilovers to suit the front of an AE86 work on the front of a KE70/AE71/TE72?

2. Can a set of coilovers to suit the rear of an AE86 work on the rear of a KE70/AE71/TE72?

3. Can a front strut brace to suit the front of an AE86 work on the front of a KE70/AE71/TE72?

4. Can a rear strut brace to suit rear of an AE86 work on the rear of a KE70/AE71/TE72?

These questions are just the beginning, and I'm sure some of you will have more questions that you want answered, but if we could just work through these ones first, it'd be great.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the results of some research I've just done. It's quite interesting to note which part numbers match up and which don't.

WHITELINE

Front Swaybars

KE70/AE71 - BTF27 (Heavy Duty)

TE72 - BTF27 (Heavy Duty)

AE86 - BTF35 (Heavy Duty)

AE86 - BTF35Z (Blade Adjustable Heavy Duty)

AE86 - BTF35X (Extra Heavy Duty)

Rear Swaybars

KE70/AE71 - BTR25R (Heavy Duty - Sedan)

KE70/AE71 - BTR9W (Heavy Duty - Wagon)

TE72 - BTR25 (Heavy Duty)

AE86 - BTR25R (Heavy Duty)

AE86 - BTR25Z (Blade Adjustable Heavy Duty)

Front Springs

KE70/AE71 - 70212 (Lowered)

TE72 - Not listed

AE86 - 71713 (Lowered)

Rear Springs

KE70/AE71 - 70811 (Lowered)

TE72 - Not listed

AE86 - 71210 (Lowered)

KING SPRINGS

Front Springs

KE70/AE71 - KTFS-29 (Standard Height)

KE70/AE71 - KFRL-16 (Lowered) - Progressive Rate Design

KE70/AE71 - KTFS-33 (Standard Height) - Use if inside diameter of original lower coil mount is reduced

KE70/AE71 - KTFL-33 (Lowered) - Use if inside diameter of original lower coil mount is reduced

TE72 (79-7/81) - KTFS-16 (Standard Height)

TE72 (79-7/81) - KTFL-16 (Lowered)

TE72 (8/81-83) - KTFS-16A (Standard Height)

TE72 (8/81-83) - KTFL-16A (Lowered)

AE86 - KTFS-33 (Standard Height)

AE86 - KTFL-33 (Lowered)

Rear Springs

KE70/AE71 - KTRS-30 (Standard Height)

KE70/AE71 - KTRL-34 (Lowered) - Progressive Rate Design

TE72 - KTRS-17 (Standard Height)

TE72 - KTRL-17 (Lowered)

AE86 - KTRS-30 (Standard Height)

AE86 - KTRL-34 (Lowered) - Progressive Rate Design

Edited by ancullen

ok, a front strut brace from a ae86 with fit onto a ke70/ae71,

the rear strut brace from a ae86 will not fit onlt a ke70/ae71

front coilovers for an ae86 will fit onto a ke70/ae71 though you will need steering arms from an ae86.

the rear coilovers for an ae86 wont fit, you can make them fit with alot of modifications

Yes a set of coilovers will fit into an ae71, but its best to use the 71 strut tops, and its neccesary to use ra40 or 86 steering arms

Yes a set of rear coilovers will fit but you have to take into account that strenghtening will be needed around the shock top as its not engineered to have all the suspension force in one small area

Yes a front strut brace will fit onto a 70 or 71 and a rear one will not

Edited by anastasios

Do I take it that the rear suspension on the KE70/AE71 is similar to the KE55 (except with coils instead of leaves), with the shock absorber pointing diagonally inwards into the car?

Thanks for your help guys. This has been quite useful so far, and I'd like to see it continue.

Do I take it that the rear suspension on the KE70/AE71 is similar to the KE55 (except with coils instead of leaves), with the shock absorber pointing diagonally inwards into the car?

Thanks for your help guys. This has been quite useful so far, and I'd like to see it continue.

Ke70 and Ae71 wagon diffs look excactly the same as Ke55 to me so.....

the ke55 and ke70/ae71 susspention is slightly different... in the ke55 the shocks bolt up under the back seat and the obvious leaf springs.. the ke70/ae71 the shocks go vertualy straight up from the diff like most cars do now days... the to of the shock is like one bolt that goes through a hole instead of ur more common strut top like the front with the 3 holes... this is why ae86 coil overs do not fit in the rear of the 55 or 70/71 u can with some smaller coilovers (ajustable) take the strut top off and u are left with a pin and u put that in the origanal hole and wack a nut on the top and off ya go :P

i know these facts as i used to own a ke55 and now own a ae71 so yeh i got half an idea lol

suspention was the main reason i sold my 55 i hate leaf lol

hope i helped in some way

the ke55 and ke70/ae71 susspention is slightly different... in the ke55 the shocks bolt up under the back seat and the obvious leaf springs.. the ke70/ae71 the shocks go vertualy straight up from the diff like most cars do now days... the to of the shock is like one bolt that goes through a hole instead of ur more common strut top like the front with the 3 holes... this is why ae86 coil overs do not fit in the rear of the 55 or 70/71 u can with some smaller coilovers (ajustable) take the strut top off and u are left with a pin and u put that in the origanal hole and wack a nut on the top and off ya go :P

i know these facts as i used to own a ke55 and now own a ae71 so yeh i got half an idea lol

Ke70 and Ae71 wagons are leaf spring, :hmm:

yea but the suspension is different between the two, the ke55 has its shocks at an angle which is not the best as there is a side load against the shocks which isnt what they were really designed for, thats y when the ke70 came out they have a more vertical shock

also note there is difference between early and late version ke70 and te71

I don't know if this apply to ae86 aswell but I think so

example early ke70 has smaller diameter front springs

different strut and the 3 bolts on the topmount is in a different location

also to the rear suspension

I think the ke55 has smaller trackwidth so the axle is shorter

Edited by David

Ke70 and Ae71 wagons are leaf spring, :hmm:

Yep, I knew this was the case, although not everyone may know it. I'll be including this information in the FAQ article when I write it up.

yea but the suspension is different between the two, the ke55 has its shocks at an angle which is not the best as there is a side load against the shocks which isnt what they were really designed for, thats y when the ke70 came out they have a more vertical shock

This is one of the main reasons I'm looking at changing to an AE71 (aside from the coil rear end).

the rear of my panelvan is like this O/---o---\O

plus an interesting fact with the AE71 panelvans is that apparently they have the ae86 front suspension setup as toyota figured it would help with load carrying, whereas the sedans/wagons don't :P

This is an interesting factoid, as it would seem to indicate that the AE86 suspension setup is slightly stiffer than the KE70/AE71, and hence better setup for carrying extra weight. But I don't think that the AE86 sits much lower than the KE70/AE71 standard.

Awesome, thanks for that info. Had no idea the AE86's had this much in common with the KE70's. Seems almost sticky-worthy.

---dens

This is why I'm trying to get info together, so it can go in the FAQ with all the other useful info that is around.

also note there is difference between early and late version ke70 and te71

I don't know if this apply to ae86 aswell but I think so

example early ke70 has smaller diameter front springs

different strut and the 3 bolts on the topmount is in a different location

also to the rear suspension

I think the ke55 has smaller trackwidth so the axle is shorter

The info I had got from King Springs had indicated that there were differences, but I didn't know what those differences actually were. Thanks David. This info will DEFINITELY go in the FAQ article. I don't think that the AE86 has changes in the spring diameter, or at least not in the Australian version. That's what I deduce from the King Springs catalogue anyway.

My Ae71 wagon has the shockies like this above the axle's _/____\_, But its only the wagons and panel vans all the sedans have them straight up like you said. :P

Thank you for this info mozzy. I was wondering how the rear suspension was different, and you've answered it perfectly. So the strengthening of the rear strut towers that was mentioned in previous posts refers to strengthening for the three bolt mounting points of the AE86 instead of the standard single bolt mounting point of the KE70/AE71. This means that AE86 rear suspension should be race legal for IPRA (Improved Production) racing, as the rules for Group 3J state:

3.1 Strengthening: It is permitted to seam weld the bodyshell. Metal to a thickness of up to 5mm may be added to fully sprung components to a distance of 75mm from the edge of each suspension pivot point aperture. Such metal must follow the contour of the original metal at all times. It is not permitted to add or incorporate any other components which contribute to the rigidity of the bodyshell, other than the roll over protection structure as described in Article 14.1, and a strut tower brace as described in article 9.7.
and

9.6 MacPherson strut top mounts: MacPherson strut top mounts are free providing that they utilise the standard bodyshell mounting facilities.

Rule 9.6 puts a bit of doubt in my mind, but I don't feel wrong in taking it that using three mounting bolts instead of one is outside the bodyshell mounting facilities - it's part of the bodyshell, I'm just drilling three new holes, not putting a new mounting point or bracket in.

Hang on, I just realised that you said:

...this is why ae86 coil overs do not fit in the rear of the 55 or 70/71...

I was under the impression that they will fit with the appropriate extra mounting points drilled and the shock tower reinforced. Yes/no???