Ke70/ae71/te72/ae86 Similarities & Differences

I was hoping ra40 4 links may have been stronger versions of the AE71 4 links, and did some measuring. The result is, the RA40 4 links are the exact same units by dimension as the AE71 4 links. If there is any difference at all it is in the bushing. Not really specifically about AE71/AE86 Similarities, but meh, settled my curiosity.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

the rear trailing arm bushes are all the same between all four link toyotas (or 5 link if u prefer), the only difference is the diameter of the hole in the sleeve in the middle of the bush, celicas run a bigger bolt than the rollas for example.

the lower shock mounts in the rear are strong enough to support a coilover arrangment, the bathurst AE86's didnt have a reinforced lower mount and neither do i and ive been running coilovers in the rear of mine for about 12-18mths now with no hassles.

also in relation to coilovers, if you measure from the center of where the shock would go (rear) to that thick bit of steel that was mention it is about 45-50mm which is more than enough (just) for a standard sized coilover (coilover diameter would be 80-90mm and which makes 40-50mm radius), so one of those shiny red coilovers in the pic would fit, but as has been said, you definately need to reinforce the upper shock mount in the boot.

the only coilover that ive seem that is a true bolt in affair had a big, cast cone shaped top hat that rests against the steel cone shaped top mount and spreads the load evenly across a larger area, i can't remember where i saw it but it was waaaaay dear.

or you could just make your own rear towers and put 200sx rear coilovers in like i did :fuzz:

also, 8.8 bolts are not a size, 8.8 is to do with the tension strength rating of the bolts, 8.8 being fairly high 5 being low

hopefully that lot helps someone

• 3 weeks later...
correct me if I'm wrong please,

auto KE70/AE71 diffs have a better ratio then the manual KE70/AE71. true? and the ae86 diff in auto form? even better?>

I believe KE70 manuals are 4.1:1

The autos are 4.3:1

The ae71 manual is 3.9

The ae71 Auto? no idea.. anyone?

Ill sticky this if its not already...

• 1 month later...

After spending nearly a day looking at which suspension bits work and which don't I came up with this list. I checked some of the major generic suspension companies and found that 90% of AE86 rear suspension components have the same part numbers with regards to bushes, sway bars and dampers. Also, after a fair bit research I manage to sort that AE86 struts will work in a KE70 (common knowledge I'm sure). I wanted to confirm this for myself mainly. But that opens KE70 owners up to a whole range of awesome damper options. AE86 struts are also compatible with these camber tops -

http://www.technotoytuning.com/productdetail.php?p=642

But as far as part numbers go, this is what I managed find -

Superpro Bushings -

Fr Control Arm Lower - Inner Bushing - SPF0509K

Fr Strut Bar to Chassis Mount Bushing - SPF0699-19K

Rr Panhard Rod to Chassis Mount Bushing - SPF0427K

Rr Panhard Rod to Diff Mount Bushing - SPF0963K

Rr Sway Bar Link Lower Bushing - SPF0280K

Rr Sway Bar Link Upper Bushing - SPF0903-4K

Rr Sway Bar Mount to Axle Bushing - SPF0873-_ _K

Rr Trailing Arm Lower Bushing All - SPF0980K

Rr Trailing Arm Upper Bushing All - SPF0980K

Pedders Suspension -

Fr Shocks

Comfort Gas Cartridge - 8714 8714

Comfort Gas Cartridge - 8747 8747

Fr Bump Stop Kit

Bump Stop & Boot Kit - 4359 4359

Front Sway Bar Bush

Urethane Shock Bush - EP755 (this one confuses me)

Lower Ball Joint

Pedders Ball joint - PBJ145

Outer Tie Rod

Pedders Tie Rod End - PTE803R

Lower Inner Bush

Pedders Rubber Bush - 5830 5830

Urethane Control Arm Bush - EP6087

Rear Shock

Urethane Shock Bush - EP148

Whiteline Suspension

Rr Sway Bar - Heavy Duty - BTR25R

What also needs to be taken into account is say if you're running a T18 rear end. Would all that above mentioned suspension components still be compatible. I pretty sure they would, I guess I'll found out when I take delivery of a KE70 and start doing things to it. If they don't fit I guess I can always flog them off on AE86DC..... Hahahahaha

Hope all that is useful to someone

Chris

Firstly, well done. Its lovely when someone does their own research and comes up with answers.

One thing you may have overlooked is the strut top bolt pattern and caster position in them. Most AE86 cambertops put the strut top bolt further forwards in the cambertop than an ae71 comes with, reducing caster undesirably. After talking with Gabriel at T3 I found out that he is aware of 3 different bolt patterns in AE71/KE70/TE70/TE71/TE72/AE86 strut tops, and you have to be careful what you buy or you may ruin your caster. The AE86 tops bolt in fine to an AE71, but they ruin your caster unless you buy the caster added ones, which are only 1-2mm wrong for an AE71, which can be adjusted out usually.

The T18 rear end is a direct bolt in to AE71 or KE70. So is the JDM AE86 T series. This means that every mount lines up properly and as such, any AE86 rear suspension components should fit properly.