Ke17 In Canada

CanadianKE17

Hi guys, just showing off my KE17... I've had it for about 8 months now, driving it on and off and fixing issues as they come up. I've got money saved up to do a restoration/mods... its just a matter of time. There are very few of these things up in the northern hemisphere, VERY hard to find parts.

As it sits now it has 90k miles on it, the body is great with a paint job that looks perfect from 10 feet and just a couple little bubbles of rust, but mechanically its a bit tired. The seats are a pretty wasted but the door cards, headliner, and dash are overrated.

I'm unsure at this point of future plans. I think at this point I'm leaning towards a 4k+5spd and some suspension upgrades/disc brakes, though a 2tc is much easier to source parts for up here, and its also easier to get power out of. I don't want to do anything that really involves hacking up the body.

The most pressing issue with the car right now is that the steering box is way too sloppy, the screw on top of the box is in all the way and yet i still have a about 3 inches of play at the steering wheel rim. I have this feeling that I'm just going to lose steering completely some day :D

post-2348-1175472158_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Are you sure that's a KE17('70)? Looking at the front t/signals, side markers and grille, it looks more like a KE15 ('68-'69)

I doubt you'll ever lose steering; there's really not much to break in there. I THINK the main problem with these early boxes is the pitman shaft bushing. I've had mine apart and I cannot find ANY wear on anything but that bushing.

Good luck!

Ive only got one other picture, it doesnt show much more detail

Its a KE17 vin built 02/70, the previous owner stuck the incorrect grille on it.

I just picked up a free te31 with a good 2tc/5spd combo, so I guess I'm going with the 2tc swap... I'm thinking a pair of sidedraughts, cam, shaved head, extractors. By inspection I think I can bolt the te31 brakes into the front of mine, I think the rear end might be a tad wide but we'll see.

Because US cars are LHD, the brake cylinder is a tight fit against the 3k, putting in a 2t will free up space for a boosted cylinder.

Is the steering box supposed to slide off the column? Cause I can't get mine out and I'm not sure if its just seized on the column splines or if there is a clip or bolt that i should have taken off...

post-2348-1175569715_thumb.jpg

you have to pull everything off of it form inside the car then the shaft will be the only thing left.

then you can pull it out from the under the front of the car. it's really tight, but it can be done.

My KE18 has a TE28 rear, it's about an inch wider overall. I had been running the TE28 steering box, but I had this KE10 box that I THOUGHT was better. Now with the header, I don't think I could get the box back in.

Post lots of pics of the "T" swap. I for one would like to see the progress.

Looks hot, Did we get these in AUS?

:D Of course we did. We got the ke15/17 sprinters. There is probably more here in Australia than anywhere else in the world, though they are pretty rare.

CanadianKE17, I think the 2t's can be made to fit reasonably easily, have seen a few pics of ke1x's with 2tgs in them. You would probably need to massage the firewall around the bellhousing, and most likely the transmission tunnel. You might need to relocate the heater a bit and knock in the domed bit on the firewall. It would be even more front heavy though.

The early RX7 rims look pretty good on it.

I've only pulled a steering box out of one ke10 as it was stripped (basket case). Think I took it out after pulling the front xmember so it was pretty easy in that case. as mikeys toy stated, you have to drop it from under the car.

Edited by Felix

the ke15s were 68-69 models and the ke17s 69-70.

Gavclassic has at least one, the 20v one was a ke17, and there are others around. Yea there probably isn't as many ke17s, maybe they weren't as popular in the day.

Does Gavclassics have an email addy?

I need OEM Fender blinkers.

Thanks

Emilio Vasquez