I Think I Just Killed My Car...

Hey everybody.........first post.

I'm out in Canada and am working on a couple of late 70's corolla's...both te31 four doors'. I love those 2tc's...but the things that previous owners have done!

I was just out working on putting in a tachometer into my 1977 te31 corolla (just to figure out how) and while i was at it, a spark happened while I was wiring stuff together and now absolutely nothing but the door buzzer works (sometimes). I'm totally clueless. I don't know much at all about electrical systems except the basics. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

I'm at a loss. I'm thinking it might be the fusible link on the battery positive terminal...but I'm not sure at all. If I put the key in the ignition the buzzer sounds, but, say, if I go to turn the key over to on, or I turn on the interior roof light, the buzzer stops and doesn't come back on for a few seconds. Everything was fine before I decided to strap in a switch to control the tach light. Brand new battery in there...hope its not dead now...

And only myself to blame...guess that's what I get for working on my car at 1 in the morning...

HELP!!! PLEASE!!!

Edited by -=efseven=-

Members dont see this ad

Yeah...I was too caught up in the moment installing the tach to remember to disconnect the battery. It wasn't that big of a spark, but it was right where the fusebox bolts on to the metal under the dash. I think it's the fusible link. I wasn't even aware that thing was even there until after I ran to my Haynes manual in a panic...my boss is going to kill me. I've gotta get to work in like...5 hours. Is there any way I can repair it for now? I'm assuming bypassing the fusible link is a really bad idea.

Checked my other Corolla...no fusible link...damn...

P.S. ...how the hell do I know if the fusible link IS blown?

Edited by -=efseven=-