How To Fit A W50 To A K Series Motor

Taz_Rx

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there wouldn't be much difference to the column shift ones. The hiace I used to drive for work had a "floor shift", but it would just be the same as your town ace with cable attached to the bottom of the shifter running back at least a metre to the rear extension housing of the gear box. And again, can't see these boxes being al that much stronger than a k40/50! :bash:

Si,

The van I saw with a 5K in it had a W50 box in it so if it is the right box your not taking a step back but then you are saving time as your box would just bolt up then no fiddling about.

As from the EPC I can see the van can come with a few motors I think one was the 18R or something. The van has the same gearbox but across all models so all that changes in the bell housing and it is on a W50 box so just try and get pics of a few and see how you go.

Cheers

Cameron

hence the reason I've been fuggin around with the van bell housing all night, because a k40/50 aint strong enough for me!! :D

Just a quick update too guys, the bell housing got in from NZ today. Cracked the w50 bell of and it deffinately does fit. only small drama in attaching the bell housing is a 50c piece size lump on the front of the box, just going to grind a little recess out of the bell to make it sit flush.

I'll take heaps of pics along the way. :P

hence the reason I've been fuggin around with the van bell housing all night, because a k40/50 aint strong enough for me!! :yes:

Just a quick update too guys, the bell housing got in from NZ today. Cracked the w50 bell of and it deffinately does fit. only small drama in attaching the bell housing is a 50c piece size lump on the front of the box, just going to grind a little recess out of the bell to make it sit flush.

I'll take heaps of pics along the way. :wink:

Hey Si tell me how much bigger is the W series box exactly mate, heaps or only a little bit.

If that bloke in NZ ever gets back to me i might get a K-T. :P :D :bash: :bash:

Edited by madrolla68

Its just a hell of a lot more "chunky" than the k box, not heaps bigger in size. I will take some pics of it tonight sitting next to a k40 for ya. Gotta do a rough line up of the 2 to check shifter position as well.

The add I put on club-k to find this got 2 replies.....

http://www.club-k.co.nz/Forums/viewthread.php?tid=9756

I bought the one "Harlet" had, but "Andy C" had another one, his email addy is in the post.

Maybe just wait a week or two, see how I go with mine and then get that one!?

I paid AUD$160 for my FYI, with a $25 international transfer fee through my bank. W50 cost me $50, so this is a much more cost effective option to your $300 just for the bell housing!!

Rang REPCO today to find out about a custom clutch plate for the set up. PBR will make me a k clutch plate with the input shaft spline for a W50 for $165 (non-trade price), but that were quite adement that as soon as it leaves there work shop, they will be taking no ownership of it. Basically as is, were is. Thats just for a clutch plate BTW, no pressure plate or TOB.

Ok Guys, update of last nights work......

STEP 1, MAKING THE BELL HOUSING FIT THE GB

I was correct in assuming that the 4 bolts on the BH would bolt up to 4 (of the 7) on the W50.

Only drama here is a small round pertrution on the front of the GB casing, pictured below.....

100_1014.jpg

This was just a matter of grinding away a small part of alloy to accomodate it........

100_1015.jpg

So with that all done the GB and BH are now 1! :P ~

100_1018.jpg

100_1020.jpg

so with that done it was time to move onto the clutch fork

STEP 2 - FITTING CLUTCH FORK

I removed the clutch fork, locating lug and fork boot, though this is sort rooted from a K40.......

100_1024.jpg

.....and fitted them.....

100_1025.jpg

100_1026.jpg

But now I have a problem!! You can see in the last above pic that the raised rocker siction for the TOB retainer is offset to the centre of the spline. So at the moment I am going to search for a KM20 liteace/townace clutch fork. As thats what the BH is from its should centre the TOB and retainer in the correct position.

If I was to use the K40 clutch fork, its also not "open" enough to take the RA40/W50 TOB and retainer, see below.....

100_1028.jpg

And yes, I do have to use the W50 TOB and retainer as the K40 one will not fit over the bigger input shaft of the W50.

I also took a couple of pics of a K40 sitting next to the W50.

Although its hard to see in the pics, they are both actually the same length. This mean when it comes to tail shaft time, ity will only be a matter of changing the yoke and universal to suit the W50, and I will not have to shorten or lengthen the tail shaft.

I also dicover when doing this that the shifter for the W50 will end up coming through in a KE70 GB postioin, rather than the KE30-55 position. I can live with that though! :P

100_1021.jpg

100_1023.jpg