To Buy Or Not To Buy...help Me Out Guys!

Hey guys...

I've been facing a bit of a problem recently. I topped out my beloved TE27 at 175kph a while back, and have been kind of...well...sad. Its running a 2tc, and for a four door thats been living on the Canadian west coast for 30 some odd years, thats quite impressive. Must kids around here bomb around in late eighties Honda's with patchwork bodykits, ridiculously huge spoilers, and tin can exhaust tips with barely running stock engines...and quite a few crappy Pontiac Fiero's as well. I've already schooled a few of them...

Problem is, I want to get into the larger race scene around here. I'm also moving out to Alberta pretty soon...which means a helluva lot of import car hating. So of course I've been flipping the Buy Sell and Trade papers and watching closely for "the" car. I really love my 77' Corolla, and its treated me very well...but I'm having troubles upgrading without going broke. So today when I stumbled across an ad stating that there was a "1982 Toyota Corolla 2 door, 5 speed SR-5" for very cheap...I had to go take a look.

So here's my question: Should I buy or no! Keep in mind I've only got about 2 weeks left where I am, and after I go it means no garage for a while...so its now or never. Just looking for some feedback from people who know.

Stats: 1982 Toyota Corolla SR-5 (I think you fellows in Australia got them as R-18's or something)

TE72, JT-2TE on the doorpost

3T-C engine with a T-5 transmission

Pretty beat up, but I'm working for NAPA (Not the greatest parts, but cheap as all hell for an employee!). Needs a fair bit of work, but nothing I wouldn't do to it anyways. Just need to know if its worth upgrading...and what's the fastest anybody's got these things going!

I know I should hold out for an AE86...but everybody around here knows what they're worth, and nobody is selling for a decent price around here.

Old school Corollas are getting really hard to find over here...seeing as how quickly they seem to rust out on Vancouver Island.

Help me out guys! Please!

Thanks!

Members dont see this ad

Oh I fully plan to keep my te27...i freaking love that car.

But, like I said...I'm yearning for some speed! I don't want to kill the engine in my 77, so I figured another Corolla I could get a little more creative with would be just the ticket. I want to keep the 77' stock...people love it as is...most people around my age don't even know what it is! I get way too many, "Uh..., is that a Datsun?".

Love it...Zippy little thing too...but not quite tight enough in the corners...and a little lacking in performance to keep up.

Put your spare TE27 on ebay dude... if seen rolling shells sell for big $$ over there.

F20C is a Honda S2000 engine. (www.bigflea.com)

As for your dilemma, I'd suggest you haunt this site for a while and gather some food for thought. Both cars have merit...

The TE72 was released here as a T-18. They share a very similar floorpan and drivetrain (except engine) to the AE86 so aftermarket parts are easy to come by. (www.technotoytuning.com has some shiny things)

However... the TE27 is wicked old school coolness and with a few simple enhancements they can be made to perform and handle surprisingly well... the T series engine gives you a very worthy starting point to work with. Check out a few of the rides on this site for some ideas... quite a few here members have *e2* corollas with varying degrees of modification from stock restored to full race trim.

Have you checked out www.toyota3tc.com?

Edited by 7shades

Wow 7Shades...you just totally gave me something to do for the next hour! Thanks man! This is the only place where people actually support me owning older Corollas...everybody keeps telling me to sell my 77' for a grand or two and move on to an early 90's Hyundai or something like that...

And no...I don't have any pics of my car yet...I haven't had the budget to put money into yet...nevermind buy a digital camera...sorry. But I'll try to get some pictures of my Te27's before long...77' and a 78', both four doors...and they called me foolish.

By the way..I can get this te72 for very cheap...that's whats so appealing...the 3t and the t50 alone are enough to spend $300 on...if not just to swap them into my parts te27 and bring it back to life...what do you guys think? Worth buying for $300 and swapping the 3t-c into my other te27?

I'm very indecisive lately...unusual...guess I'm just trying to learn something...lol.

Yeah dude... grab the 72 and pillage it for everything its worth! If nothing else, the T-50 is a stronger 'box to put power through, and you'll probably need one sooner or later anyway if you're gunna inject some looove into the 27.

If you have the time and space, take the diff too. The AE86 guys will gladly give you wads of cash for it.

By chance, is this TE72 online anywhere? A Link perhaps? Over here we have quite a hankerin' for the quad headlights as we didn't get them on our locally delivered *e7* series, so if this thing has 'em you may be able too offload to someone here or on www.ke70.com and further recoup your outlay.

PS: I had a mate once who spent a bucketload importing and converting a Fiero to RHD cos he reckoned they were the best thing EVER... drove it for 6 months before the bucket of crap had a mild electrical pissfart, erupted into flames and completely burned to the ground. :bash:

He now owns my old '65 belair... some people never learn ;)

Edited by 7shades

Alright...thanks for the help man....appreciate it...and no, the te72 isn't online. For that matter no quad headlights either. I can understand why you guys want them...right after I posted this thread I went right over to Teddy's ke70 to check out the progress...got to the most recent post and was suddenly struck with severe disapointment! I can't wait to see it done! I'm hoping to do something similar to my on-the-road te-27...when I have the cash.

By the way, that link to toyota3tc was most enlightning. Thanks very much!

So...should I just cram the whole damn driveline from the te72 into the te27? Engine, trans diff? And what about tightening up that back end...those 30 year old leaf springs are kinda saggy...

te72,te27...whoa...27/72...I've got to go pass out soon...its wayyyy to late.

Man I hate Fieros...and the kids who have them think they are such hot shite...one idiot decided he would go whipping around a very sharp corner in a residential area near right next to a public playground...the guy powerslides, sees 3 or 4 kids in his path, swerves, clips a telephone pole, and bombs off like it never happened...poor children were scared out of their minds!

Edited by -=efseven=-

• 1 year later...

yeah dude get the 72 and put the 3T in your Te27. don't TE27s already have a 2T?? what gearbox are they running??

you can get crazy power from those 3Ts and you are in the right part of the world to do it. i can't say i have ever seen a quick 3T in Australia but ive seen some 600hp examples in the states and BDR or BRD racing have heaps of parts and knowledge about that engine.

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=2q7FeggYJWA

thats how fast they can go. smeg i wish we got KP61s in Aus.

Edited by godlovesugly