The 57 Vauxhall Ute

teza40

HI 2 all,ok so the ideas are spinning around in my head now. today they traveled down my arm onto paper (the cheap way to see what ideas will look like).

as previously mentioned the front was goin to be custom,so here is the first few ideas..

black one has each headlight with its own frenched opening,the red one is of the open type full frenching.ala 60`s style as seen on many fj holdens back then.i have decided that straight up and down is hte way to go.with h a 54 desoto grill the preffered option.

what do you think

post-2215-1182499692.jpg

HI 2 All again,

well i have rambled on about this vauxhall ute in other parts of my topics. and just to shock every one and show that it really does look like a $61.00 car, i have put a few pics up.

yes its one hell of job in front of me,but hey its a 50 year old car this year. it was originally rescued from a creek by one of the son`s of the people i got it from out on a farm in the darling downs of queensland, he started on it and then it sat in the paddock for the last 10 years.just going out there and getting it on the trailer was a big job.

3 out of 4 wheels locked up had to snatch strap drag it onto the trailer (did`nt want my head taken off if the wire cable from the winch let go),and then the said strap around a huge tree and reefed the trailer after several attempts out from under the ute ( its a heavy old pommie vehicle).

oh by the way the wheels freed up after that kind of abuse..lol,had a smoking and slipping clutch on my toyota foruner 4x4 tho..

and now hard work and fun begins for like...the next 10 years of rebuild..

mmm i feel a 265 hemi 6cylinder engine, auto or manual and may be a centura disc brake diff.with the car drenched in bmw burgunday metallic paint..sorry dreaming at the moment.

enjoy

teza40

post-2215-1181902531.jpgpost-2215-1181902447.jpgpost-2215-1181902494.jpgpost-2215-1181902612.jpgpost-2215-1181902666.jpgpost-2215-1181902725.jpg

post-2215-1181902809.jpgpost-2215-1181902917.jpg

HI 2All again,well yes the crazy and brave one has just returned from a couple of days (not full days) working on the ute.

so here`s the low down,started to strip the rust more than paint off the bonnet.found the rust gremlin had been feeding on the underside of the bonnet frame and got a bit disheartend with it,so did a little bit and thought leave it for now.

so turned my attention to the guards with more success (although there is more work to do on them) they now look fairly decent.late tuesday afternoon i was taking the left door off and had a bit of a struggle,end result the door is off but i now have a purple and black little toe on my right foot (ummm broken would describe it better,man it hurt big time).

would post a pic but it may scare people...lol

check out the other pics

cheers

post-2215-1182327956.jpgpost-2215-1182328787.jpg

post-2215-1182328866.jpgpost-2215-1182328917.jpg

post-2215-1182329086.jpgpost-2215-1182329284.jpg

post-2215-1182329383.jpgpost-2215-1182632989.jpg post-2215-1182329558.jpg

Edited by teza40

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEE?! I'M not the ONLY glutton for punishment here!!!!

HI YA Mikey..lol its only for the very brave too take on projects like this...and I'm sure you love it ...off topic a bit mikey..hows it going with the 60 chev stuff...

cheers

teza40

HI ya,

ok, no worries on that.wet weather is a bugger..and if the man is sick thats fair enough also...and working well its a good thing...

did u see the 57 plymouth belvedere on t v come out of the ground and unveiled on friday nite in tulsa..

i watched it on the kotv network on the computer live broadcast..its sad that the brand new then 50 years ago mopar got to live in water over its roof in the vault..

ok catch ya later.

cheers

teza

Edited by teza40

OK people..Yes I'm crazy for wanting to do this ute up...it is indeed a rare beast, and I'm looking forward to it over the years..got a few more days of holiday left and I'm goin back out there on tuesday/wednesday this coming week to work more on it...lol...be brave terry very brave...

stay tuned for more photos

cheers

terry

Edited by teza40

Are you on OzRodders.com? If not then you should be. It may help you find some parts if you need any.

HI,I'm not at present time.i have heard of this site and yes thanks ,they could be of help in the future.

the old girl is pretty far gone and parts will be hard to find,so i think i will go custom with this rebuild.

eg

sunken headlights (twin set up from ra40 celica,cos i have them) maybe straight up and down or canted (not sure yet).sunken front indicators,radiused bonnet edges.

i have a set of new brake lenses from an austin a90 (lol) along with a similar style indicator lens for the back will make them sunken into the body also.

long way to go,but for now....

thanks

teza