Davros' Ke10 4age Project

00 - INTRO:

Ok, before this begins, I understand that there is an absolute shite-load of information out there on the good old 4AGE engine conversion and RWD setup for FWD drive cars, so this is not intending to re-invent the wheel so to speak.

This is going to be a documentation of the process we are about to undertake to put a 100kw 4AGE and a T50 5 speed box into my KE10. In the last few months I have been doing a tonne of reading and research into the conversion, and have compiled a fair amount of info. I have found many how-to guides that have been absolutely invaluable, but have had trouble finding something specific to a KE10, other than some really old posts on Toymods and some random pictures floating around the net. I have done my research and am about to undertake the project, so i thought I would document the job from start to finish, so it may make some things easier for other people.

At the same time, it will be an open invite for people to make comments, suggestions or advice for things I may not have worked out......

I plan on updating this as I make progress on the project - Ill try my best to keep the crap to a minimum and not waffle on too much...

01 - STARTING POINT:

So, this is what I have got at the moment:

Its an awesome little 1967 KE10 coupe, with a mild 5k, extractors, 5 speed box, single downdraft Aisan carb and good old 12" steelies with original hubcaps and dress rims, and whitewall tires of course.

Interior is fully custom trim, headliner and carpet, and it has a custom steel dash and VDO cockpit guages, momo wheel and gearshift knob. Stereo is fairly pissweak and can hardly be heard when the car is going fast anyway...

I have had this car for just over a year - I bought it in pretty much the condition that is in now, except it was running like an absolute dog. Me and my old man have done a heap of mechanical work and the car now runs pretty well - its a bit grumpy on idle when the engine is cold, but other than that it's a great little weapon.

KE10_01.jpgKE10_02.jpgKE10_03.jpgKE10_04.jpg

So, why fix what ain't broke? And the die hard old school corolla fans will be screaming at me to get twin webbers, head porting and polishing and a Tighe cam, instead of messing with the 4AGE.....!

Well, this car was purchased to be a daily driver, while I am restoring my true love - a 1968 Valiant VC regal (see I have been a valiant freak for most of my life...). Originally I bought the KE10 cause it was a hot little car with classic styling, and never intended to do much with it. As time has gone on I really dig this car and want to get it up to scratch so it can drive long distances, be smoother and more responsive, and have more capability to make power out of the engine if needed down the track.

And being a p-plater, I needed to go with something that was naturally aspirated and of course fitted in the RTA rules and regulations for the modification of light production vehicles. (more on this later...)

And seeing how damn tough the toyota engines are, I decided to go with the good old 4AGE...plus I thought it would be nice to be able to blow off commodore booners and my old man's charger.....

Edited by Davros El Davros

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

02 - RESEARCH:

So, having had limited experience with toyota engines, and being fairly new to rollaclub, I figured I better get on the case and get some research done.

Below is basically my reading list - I trawled through these pages and printed out all of the relevant parts for my project, and compiled them into a loose leaf folder (yeah, anal I know...).

A lot of them will be familiar to yall seasoned pros, but they were dam helpful to me.

I plan on updating this list as I find more info and relevant pages to what I am doing. If anyone has other links please put them up...

RTA Vehicle Specs: - One of the most important pages to read FIRST!

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/dow...si/vsi_dl1.html

Rollaclub 4AGE Page: - Of course :n:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5644

P.A.S.S Autosports - These guys do custom rear water outlets for RWD conversions

http://store.autosportsupplies.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?

Phil Bradshaw's amazingly detailed and in depth 4AGE conversion guide

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradshaw/Index.htm

Russell Turney's 4AGE Specs and How to:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/8422/4age.htm

Bill Sherwood's Home Page - The man knows his car stuff, and is the king of funky tiled HTML backgrounds....

http://www.billzilla.org/index.htm

TEDDY'S NOOB GUIDE NO #0052 - Already contains most of these links, plus a few more...

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?showtopic=5644

Club 4AGE 4AGE Engine pros and cons:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...0of%204A-GE.htm

Club 4AGE 20v RWD Conversion Guide:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pa...oject%2020V.htm

4AGE 20v Rear Water Outlet

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4108

The Witzl's Guide to 4AGE RWD Cooling System and Manifold Cut n Shut:

http://toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=88

To be continued.....

Hey mate, always a good idea to write up what your doing even if it helps out one person its well worth it. Do you mind me asking what the little beast set you back initially? Good job dude, ill be reading the updates, an interesting read if anything :n:

02 - RESEARCH CONTINUED:

So, after having read as much as I could and printing out a lot of the content from the sites so I could have it for quick reference, I tried to find as many images of 4AGE engines and conversions as I could, preferably ones into a KE10. There were not as many as I thought there would be. Here are some small versions of all of the pics that I managed to get. If anyone wants all of these to download, go here: http://www.theviciouscycle.com.au/4age/4ag...ence_images.zip

research_01.jpgresearch_02.jpgresearch_03.jpgresearch_04.jpg

research_05.jpgresearch_06.jpgresearch_07.jpgresearch_08.jpg

research_09.jpgresearch_10.jpgresearch_11.jpgresearch_12.jpg

research_13.jpgresearch_14.jpgresearch_15.jpgresearch_16.jpg

research_17.jpgresearch_18.jpgresearch_19.jpg

I was originally planning on putting in a 20v - I figured that they were a later model engine, which would be easier to get parts for and may run a bit smoother, but I couldnt seem to locate any pictures of a KE10 with a 20v 4AGE anywhere. I also read about the 20v having the dizzy mounted off the back of the head which made the RWD conversion a bit tricky - requiring firewall modification or the fitting of a crank angle sensor.

I figured that I didn't want to fit a crank angle sensor, so it would be easier to go with an 86kw or 100kw 16v.

sweet dude i been thinking about doing a conversion like this into my ke11 can't wait to see further progress..

what are you doing in the ways of brake upgrades and what other requirement do you need to meet for engineering ?

have you already had mounts for the engine made up .. if so where abouts did you get them done and rough price ..

as id be very keen to get my hands on a set aswell

Cheers

Matt

Hey Matt,

Well stay tuned, cause the fun is just beginning...!

For engineering, I have to get the engine mounts checked, the brakes upgraded, make sure the transmission tunnel is reinforced where the hole is cut for the gear shift, and a few other things.

In terms of brakes, the car already has discs on the front... What I am planning on doing is upgrading the front brakes to KE30 or KE55 rotors and calipers,

and then pilfering the remote brake booster (VH44 I think) out of mum's old valiant and rigging it up. This means Ill get boosted front discs and the regular rear drums.

(somebody please feel free to jump in here and tell me if this is incorrect, a bad idea, or throw in any suggestions..... :y: )

Now, in terms of engine mounts, I was fully planning on building custom mounts for the engine and gearbox from regular 6mm steel plate. Here are some reference pics:

research_20.jpgresearch_21.jpgresearch_22.jpgresearch_23.jpg

BUT, I was lucky enough to find some (with much help from Jordan - thanks again bro..!) on a KE10 in Adelaide that was halfway through a similar conversion, and they are in the post as we speak.

So it saved me a shiteload of work.. But it seems fairly simple to make up your own - just remember that it's generally best sit the engine in the engine bay with a engine crane or something, then make up templates out of MDF, then transfer the measurements to your steel plate. Tack it together yourself, and then get an engineer to weld it all up.

I have found a few links on engine mounts so Ill try and dig them up.

Looking at using JDM AE86 front vented rotors for the same conversion, at the moment i'm looking at a suitable caliper alternative instead of the overpriced originals.

Hopefully i'll find a bolt up caliper without resorting to custom brackets.

i don't know what you ahve decided on yet for a diff but i would highly recomend getting a bigger diff, atleast a ke20 diff, the brakes are bigger aswell which is a bonus and they are a hell of a lot stronger, ive been through 3 in my car and the first one was with the 3k, they are jsut weak as, now i ahve a ke20 one and its the best thing i ever did to the car, this thrad is really good man, keep up with it

james

Guys, thanks for the feedback - thinking I will move forward with the KE55 rotors and calipers and the VH44 booster.

Interseting about the AE86 vented rotors - would be keen to hear how these progress..

I am about to take a crash course in plumbing my own brake lines and clutch master cylinder.! It will be a bit tricky, but nothing that I can't do, so I'll keep the progress posted.

Jordan, what can I say, you are the man! Thanks for the photos, the mounts look solid as. Ill take a closer look at that radiator and compare it with mine and get back to you.

As for the diff, when I got the car it had a really nice crunching whine at about 65-75 km per hour, so we ripped the diff centre out and threw in a diff centre from a KE30 that we had lying around.

Had to mod the rear universal joint to mate the diff up to the tail shaft, but so far it has been really solid. I am going to use the KE30 axles in the diff as well, after I get them machined down about 5mm each so

that they are the right length. I figure I'll stay with stock KE10 drums on the back, until the little diff gives way and I have to chuck something more heavy duty in there. With the back axles and front rotors from a

KE30 or KE55, Ill also be able to upgrade to bigger wheels. I am a big fan of the original hubcabs and dress rims on the 12" steelies I have, but I would like something wih a bit more grip on the road, cause this

little weapon is going to fly.

More updates real soon - heading down to my shed this weekend to work on the engine.