Davros' Ke10 4age Project

Jordain, that rust is a bummer man! Especially when it all looks sweet from the outside. I have been digging around other parts of the car and have found a few more 'surprises'. Unwanted surprises that is!

I have finally finished the floor pan and it's all painted with POR 15 Rust preventative paint.

I can't believe how much work this has been, but once I got started I had to do it properly, and I am pretty darn sure that this floor ain't going to rust again.

The POR 15 requires a massive amount of preparation to get a clean surface for the paint to adhere to, but it sticks really well and dries to be incredibly hard.

The paint itself is pretty coarse. I strained it before applying but it still finished quite rough in places. It's not too much of a concern however, as I will be applying sound deadener/resomat or something similar, then carpet will be going over the top.

Instead of uploading still photos, I got inspired and shot this time lapse video of the floor being prepped and painted.

Have been trying to embed it on this site, but best I can manage is a link to the video.

Check it here

Next step is to seam seal the whole floor pan and then paint with primer. The POR 15 is not UV safe, so will fade under light. I'll eventually paint the floorpan with the chosen colour for the whole car, which I haven't work out yet!

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No cutting at all anywhere in the process of getting the 4AGE in the engine bay. The front bonnet catch support can be completely removed by undoing a few bolts.

Only cutting people do is to trans tunnel if fitting a bigger box, or to firewall to get the engine sitting back further in the engine bay...

Jordain, as HIgh Roller said, POR 15 is the business. It brushes on but settles to a smooth glossy finish. You can even get a product that has metal particles in it which helps fill gaps and imperfections in the metal.

It does add some bulk. it's not the thinnest stuff out there but for floorpans, inner guards, underbody etc its probably one of the best things to use against rust.

There are a list of dealers on the Australian website - check it here

I got mine in Brisbane from a panel beating paint supplies place. It's about $100 per litre, but goes a long way. They also recommend getting the proper metal prep and conversion stuff top get the metal ready for painting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not a lot of updating to this thread, but work has been continuing. I am currently bogged down (no pun intended...) in some serious rust repairs that have been quite a surprise. As much as I have wanted to keep the car very intact and faithful to the car that I purchased, I have been forced to strip out the entire interior, take out all of the glass and go hunting for rust and dodgy repairs.

Today we pushed the car out of the garage and hit it with strip discs and found some interesting stuff that will have to be added to the list in terms of work that needs to be done to the body. I took a bunch of pics of the worst areas, which I will post up this week.

I wanted to be able to assess exactly what needs to be done to the body, and at this stage it's a lot! I will be hunting for a donor car, so if anyone out there has a decent Ke10 shell that they want to get rid of, hit me up.

Pics of the latest work coming soon. There has been a lot of metal fabrication happening and a lot of welding. My TIG welding is getting pretty tight.

Hey Davros, I got a KE10 I might sell.. its a very very clean shell. No rust at all, paint flaked off and got a respray in 1998 and the car never got put back together... just got scratched and a few dints over the last decade. I bought it off the mechanic of the original owner around 6 months ago and I pulled some dints out and fixed a few things but still needs a few dings pulled out and a little bit of primer here and there and a respray in spots or a full respray which I was intending on doing but I can't afford to have 4 one day projects :bash:

Hey Jordain, that shell sounds good, but I probably would be looking for something closer to Brissy. Unless of course you would be happy to cut sections out and post them up..:)

How many projects have you got on the go?

The rust and dodgy repairs I have found in mine is a pain in the ass, but not the end of the world. However, it does feel a bit criminal taking strip discs to what looked like perfect paint and panels..

The car will now be undergoing a major overhaul of the interior as well, because I have had to pull everything out to get to repairs.

This means that the whole colour scheme will be changing too.

Sweet I will do that for sure. It may be better to just send some pics with indication of the exact parts I need. I am in transit until next week friday, so I will get some pics up after that.

If I was in Sydney I would definitely be hitting you up about that shell you may sell, but Sydney to Brisbane with a shell is a bit far..

• 8 months later...

Wow, at least 6 months since I posted in this thread.

Never fear - work is still continuing but has been delayed pretty heavily by the massive workload I have been under and the amount of projects I have been working on.

Ended up getting my hands on a decent shell thanks to PMP16 (Joel). Have cut all of the bits I need out of it and am starting to cut and paste them into my KE10 body.

Have been some more rust discoveries which is a bit disheartening, especially given how long it's taken me to get the current rust done.

I am making some nice progress and doing some complex rebuilding and fabrication which I would never have imagined being able to do a few years ago.

During all of this I have also relocated to Sydney, and managed to find a place with a decent garage relatively close to the city for work. I am still getting my garage sussed out (it's currently full of crap from the move)

but as soon as it's all in order I will be ripping into the car... PIcs will follow..!