Davros' Ke10 4age Project

havent got to the booster yet.(probably in the next 2 weeks.) they recommended a 1inch bore master and i purchased a universal one from hoppers that will fit. apparently this gives a good pedal feel. it looks might it just fit next to the ca18. with a 4age it should clear easily as the motor is a bit smaller

if i'm not satisfied with the struts i can always convert them to coilovers. a bit of stuffing around i'm not interested in atm. but i'll see how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, things have finally settled down enough for me to get some time and put up some more pics.

This is a bit of a photo documentation of how I did the cut and shut on my intake manifold.

I know that this is a fairly straight forward process - generally involving cutting both ends off the intake manifold and swapping them over and getting them welded back up.

However I didn't want big ugly welds on both ends like some other jobs I have seen floating around on the net (not all, but some look pretty rough..).

SO, what I decided to do was make a plate that would blank off one end, then make a plate to attach the throttle body on the other end.

Now fair call to say I went a bit overkill on the thickness of the blanking plate but it was the only piece of aluminium plate I could find locally at a cheap price.

I made a template up by tracing the throttlebody gasket (scanned it into the computer then traced the outline and printed it out).

Then transferred the shape onto the aluminium with a scriber.

Then, not owning an overhead milling machine and being determined to see if I can do this myself, I cut the blanking plate out of 20mm aluminium plate by hand with a hacksaw.

Filed the edges and drilled the holes, then cleaned it up and polished it, then made a new gasket from gasket paper and attached blanking plate with stainless hex key screws.

For the bracket that went on the front of the manifold to adapt the throttlebody, I first knocked out the welsh plug and filed the surface flat.

Then filed out the hole so it would be larger than internal throttle body diameter.

Then made the template for the throttle body adapter plate, and having had jack of hack sawing the thick ass aluminium plate for 3 nights in a row,

I took it and got it done CNC'd at a local engineering place, then tig welded onto the flat end of the manifold I had filed down.

Then cleaned it all up a bit - ended up with a few marks from the G Clamps I used when welding it up but other than that it looks sweet...

Photos are roughly in order from start to finish yo....

cut_n_shut_01.jpgcut_n_shut_02.jpgcut_n_shut_03.jpgcut_n_shut_04.jpg

cut_n_shut_05.jpgcut_n_shut_06.jpgcut_n_shut_06a.jpgcut_n_shut_07.jpg

cut_n_shut_08.jpgcut_n_shut_09.jpg

Edited by Davros El Davros

• 3 weeks later...

WHEELS:

Currently looking at which wheels I am going to run on the car.

I'm going to put the hoppers stoppers front disc kit on which requires a minimum of 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

I figure I probably can't go any higher than 15s, cause it will look kinda wack, and won't be legal unless I use super low profile tyres.

The QLD rules state that you are not allowed to go bigger than 15mm over the diameter of the largest tyre the car came with from factory.

I'm not really an expert on this, but these are my rough thoughts so far (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...):

The stock wheels are 12" with a 155/80 tyre, which equals a total diameter of 424mm.

So then based on QLD design rules, the maximum diameter wheel and tyre combo I would be allowed to run would be 439mm, which means I could upgrade to 15" wheels, with the right width/profile and still fit under this size.

I was wondering what would be a good width to go with, if anyone has any recommendations.

I figure I can go a 15" wheel with a 175/35 tyre, which gives a total diameter of 436mm,

Or if a higher profile tyre is better, on a 15" wheel I could run a 155/40 tyre which gives a maximum diameter of 437mm.

In terms of wheels I have been looking at Lenso Concept 5s or Lenso RS5s. Of course there are always Simmons but I'm not looking to front that sort of cash right now.

Here is a pic of the car with photoshopped Lenso wheels:

ke10_lenso.jpg

davros, i know in vic you can go the same about increasing rolling diameter, but that only applies to stuff that doesn't need to be cleared by an engineers cert.

since this is getting one, you can increase your rolling diameter by as much as you want, the world is your wheel |blink| so long as they fit underneath and claer the brakes anyway

dF

• 2 months later...
they look a whole lot like this:

ke104agemountsxu4.jpg

Cheers

Jordan

Hi there, i'm performing the same conversion on a mates car for him. Would anybody be able to provide me with some dimensioned drawings of the mounts to save me having to shag around doing the measuring and alignment? We also have the motor and car in two differn't places while i'm doing the performance work on the motor so it makes it tricky working out them out! Thanks for documenting all this it's going to be a big help!

Davros,

With your wheel/tyre size it,s all about gearing. If you where useing original gearing i.e Gearbox/diff Ke10 then you could go to 185 50 15,s tyres size for roughly the same rolling diameter as 155 80 12,s This will keep speedo in the reasonably accurate area. However if you go the t50 gearbox route and say KE20 diff different ball game. You would have to figure the the gearing out from scratch to calculate correct tyre size

Cheers Majordad

WHEELS:

Currently looking at which wheels I am going to run on the car.

I'm going to put the hoppers stoppers front disc kit on which requires a minimum of 15" wheels to clear the calipers.

I figure I probably can't go any higher than 15s, cause it will look kinda wack, and won't be legal unless I use super low profile tyres.

The QLD rules state that you are not allowed to go bigger than 15mm over the diameter of the largest tyre the car came with from factory.

I'm not really an expert on this, but these are my rough thoughts so far (please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...):

The stock wheels are 12" with a 155/80 tyre, which equals a total diameter of 424mm.

So then based on QLD design rules, the maximum diameter wheel and tyre combo I would be allowed to run would be 439mm, which means I could upgrade to 15" wheels, with the right width/profile and still fit under this size.

I was wondering what would be a good width to go with, if anyone has any recommendations.

I figure I can go a 15" wheel with a 175/35 tyre, which gives a total diameter of 436mm,

Or if a higher profile tyre is better, on a 15" wheel I could run a 155/40 tyre which gives a maximum diameter of 437mm.

In terms of wheels I have been looking at Lenso Concept 5s or Lenso RS5s. Of course there are always Simmons but I'm not looking to front that sort of cash right now.

Here is a pic of the car with photoshopped Lenso wheels:

ke10_lenso.jpg

So, finally some some more stuff rolling for the project.

Been mad mad busy at work lately which doesn't allow for much car time unfortunately.

Got some of the engine parts polished up: Cam Covers, Dizzy and water outlets. However I jumped the gun with the front water outlet because I think I am now going to go with a full RWD water setup.

Just have to work out what to do with the pulleys - I think it is just as simple as getting a RWD water pump and pulley and then hopefully everything will line up?

Have got a fuel pump and am in the process of ordering lifter pump, surge tank and some other goodies for the fuel system.

Also going to get some nice adjustable cam gears while I'm at it.

Car is coming off the road this Sunday, after the cruise and dinner at Hogs Breath Gold Coast on Saturday night.

Git myself a nice little KE55 to use as a daily while the KE10 is off the road..

can't wait to get to work.

Here are some flicks of the polished engine stuff, and the daily beast. Gonna paint wheels black and get whitewalls done. The old lady who owned it must have been a bit blind in her left eye.

4AGE_Cam_Covers.jpg4AGE_Engine_Parts.jpgPink_Flamingo.jpg

So, finally some some more stuff rolling for the project.

Been mad mad busy at work lately which doesn't allow for much car time unfortunately.

Got some of the engine parts polished up: Cam Covers, Dizzy and water outlets. However I jumped the gun with the front water outlet because I think I am now going to go with a full RWD water setup.

Just have to work out what to do with the pulleys - I think it is just as simple as getting a RWD water pump and pulley and then hopefully everything will line up?

Have got a fuel pump and am in the process of ordering lifter pump, surge tank and some other goodies for the fuel system.

Also going to get some nice adjustable cam gears while I'm at it.

Car is coming off the road this Sunday, after the cruise and dinner at Hogs Breath Gold Coast on Saturday night.

Git myself a nice little KE55 to use as a daily while the KE10 is off the road

can't wait to get to work.

Here are some flicks of the polished engine stuff, and the daily beast. Gonna paint wheels black and get whitewalls done. The old lady who owned it must have been a bit blind in her left eye.

4AGE_Cam_Covers.jpg4AGE_Engine_Parts.jpgPink_Flamingo.jpg

Looking good mate, can't wait to see the motor in there. :(

Edited by radrollaz

if you put those wheels on I'm personally going to come to Queensland and you know I've got your address, put your car up on bricks and toss them into the sea.

It's a KE10 dude, run 13's or 14's absolute max, crazy dish (old school mini style.) Higher profile tyres (they'll give a much better ride,) and handle better as well. Something like a 13x7" +5 kidney mag in gloss charcoal would look awesome.

Cheers

Jordan

Hahahaha thanks for the heads up - spoken by a true one eyed old school toyota fan.

To be honest I would rather put brake fluid in my eye than put a set of jellybean mags on my car, but thanks for the opinion.

But don't fear, the KE10 wont be getting those Lenso wheels. I was just playing around with some different looks.

I don't think I will bother to put up a pic of what I am putting on the car until they are actually on there......then you can come hunt me down with a set of Jellybean mags in hand.!

Dave, looks great!

I know this car is going to be something special. I reckon the only reason you would ever put 15 inch wheels on a 10 would be to clear big brakes. I think you could definitely get away with that one. As for wheel choice, have a look at some Mazdas for old Jap style 15s. Might get some early jap wheels in 4x110 pcd, and rwd offset from an rx7 or something like that.

If I can help in any way I'm only a phone call away.

Edit: Just realized you get to choose your stud pattern with the hoppers kit! You will also maybe change the diff? Have you given any thought to a stud pattern conversion either to 4x114.3, or old ford 5 stud pattern, to open up the choice of old school styled 15 inch wheels with serious width and dish?

Edited by LittleRedSpirit