Fuel Sender Question

Trufauru

As you can see in the pics i have a loose cable in the fuel sender unit, my question is if it's soposed to be like that

Becasue a loose cable inside a fuel tank isnt my first choice

dscn0445jx0.jpg

dscn0446fp8.jpg

Thanks in advance

Members dont see this ad

I'm just hazarding a guess here, but it might be like that deliberately to earth any static charge on the fuel.

Does the wire in question connect to anything else, or is it just screwed to the body of the sender?

Does the sender actually work?

Having never pulled one out myself, I can't say for sure.

Here is the unit from an RA40 celica that I have lying around.

post-2885-1186980994.jpg

post-2885-1186981012.jpg

Ive not seen one with a dangling wire, that didn't need an in tank fuel pump attached to the end. It seems very odd to me. Static in fuel remover seems like one of those Hippie crystal Brock things we make up when we can't explain it any other way. Without knowing which car and what if any region specific changes were made, I can't really say. All I know is that looks like it shouldn't be there.

As you can see in the pics i have a loose cable in the fuel sender unit, my question is if it's soposed to be like that

Becasue a loose cable inside a fuel tank isnt my first choice

dscn0445jx0.jpg

dscn0446fp8.jpg

Thanks in advance

It's the wire that would have been attached to the low fuel warning sensor thats on the bottom of the solid rod where the clip is (pic 2)

thanks for all your responses

the car is a 81 Corolla Liftback, like yours T-18 but with a 4K inside, the migthy KE70

the fuel sender works (i make it work out side the tank), and the cable is soldered to the body of the sender

here is a close up of the cable and the clip

sensorrd1.jpg

frosty, do you think it sould be soldered there??

EDIT:

looking in the EPC i found this....

sndergj4.gif

you can see that the cable is soposed to be there, but it looks atached to something

Edited by Trufauru

Static in fuel remover seems like one of those Hippie crystal Brock things we make up when we can't explain it any other way.

like I said, I'm hazarding a guess, not coming up with hippie ideas :wink:

Fuel builds up static charge as it moves through pipes etc. Thats why petrol nozzles are earthed to ground to prevent sparking. Thats also why they ask you to fill your jerry cans on the ground and not in the boot/trailer etc, because if the charge on the can builds up enough you may create an arc across the gap.

and

bang..

Edited by philbey

thanks for all your responses

the car is a 81 Corolla Liftback, like yours T-18 but with a 4K inside, the migthy KE70

the fuel sender works (i make it work out side the tank), and the cable is soldered to the body of the sender

here is a close up of the cable and the clip

sensorrd1.jpg

frosty, do you think it sould be soldered there??

EDIT:

looking in the EPC i found this....

sndergj4.gif

you can see that the cable is soposed to be there, but it looks atached to something

As I said in my first reply ... it's (the wire) to be attached to the low fuel warning sensor ---- yours is missing the sender unit ... see below

post-226-1187072908.jpg

post-226-1187073018.jpg

• 2 years later...