4a-f In Ae71? Will It Work?

55LDE

I have a 1984 AE71 4A-C 5spd and i was wondering if a 4A-FC i gather is the carby version bolt straight in? will there be much to modify?

I want to use the carby version just for the easy installation.

Thanks.

Steve.

Edited by 45LDE

Members dont see this ad
Distributor is on the rear of the head.

waste of time IMO, just save a little extra and get a GE

isnt the distributor on the rear of the head on the 4a-c any ways?

GE i have to redo the fuel system n put a loom n ecu in

the carby option would be quicker

isnt the distributor on the rear of the head on the 4a-c any ways?

GE i have to redo the fuel system n put a loom n ecu in

the carby option would be quicker

If your going to have to do something with the dizzy then you will be better off with a bigport 4age. No mods required to the ignition system. The gearbox is in the car already, all you need is about $300 to set up your fuel system nicely. It will fit your engine mounts perfectly, and also your gearbox. There are rwd versions floating around, if you really want it to be easy to install. Its EFI too so no more fine tuning and better when cold.

I haven't specifically looked into it, but I believe the 4A-F variants all came front wheel drive and didn't have the RWD engine mount holes drilled and tapped in the block.

I have a mate with a 4A-FC in an AE9x and, one of these damn days (read: "when I remember and his car is somewhere near me") I really should check the veracity of this rumour.

cheers,

Slapper

I haven't specifically looked into it, but I believe the 4A-F variants all came front wheel drive and didn't have the RWD engine mount holes drilled and tapped in the block.

I have a mate with a 4A-FC in an AE9x and, one of these damn days (read: "when I remember and his car is somewhere near me") I really should check the veracity of this rumour.

cheers,

Slapper

i've had a 4a-fe next to a 2a-c and the only difference you see externally is head up everything else is the same. Excluding starter motor which is a blanking plate change. Both sides of gearbox provide option for starter mounting.

If it's an A block the outside cast appears the same internals are changed mildly thru the series. So if a 4A-C can sit NS then an F will too. Manifold's may be an issue as F heads are crossflow C are side.

Edited by Rosegum

4ac engine mounts, starter, blanking plate, custom headers, yank incoveniently placed distributor off and change to crank angle sensor (or hack a hole in your firewall) and hook up a thermo fan...

Thats all I can think of... alternator and intake mani should be fine, may have to get a little creative with the radiator hoses but looking at them both side by side I think its do-able...

Give it a whack

The distrtibutor on the 4a-c is located on the front of the engine or in RWD the right side at the back. there's nowhere else for it to go as it's a sideflow head,(exhaust and intake on same side of head). The 4a-fe dissy is located on the right hand side of the head or in RWD the back.

a 4a-fc is more likely to be easier than an fe but some changes still may need to be made to the loom eg. sensor connectors won't fit, electronic distributor and so on.

and adding one more question.... an 4AF and K50, can it be possible?

because here is imposible to find a T50 with 22splines, here only the T50 with 20 the one that is behind the 2T, and those are quite hard to find

and adding one more question.... an 4AF and K50, can it be possible?

because here is imposible to find a T50 with 22splines, here only the T50 with 20 the one that is behind the 2T, and those are quite hard to find

It would only be possible if there were a k gearbox to A series motor bellhousing. I personally don't know of any cars which had this combo, or of any aftermarket bellhousings available.

It would only be possible if there were a k gearbox to A series motor bellhousing. I personally don't know of any cars which had this combo, or of any aftermarket bellhousings available.

Pretty sure there's a A-engine-to-K-gearbox bellhousing, but it's pretty rare (although may be common on the other side of the world). Came in the AE85, which had the crappy 2A or 3A (can't remember) with a K-series box behind it. Poor man's cousin to the AE86

An engine is an engine physical dimensions are the only real limitation to installing whatever you want everything else is ancillary, a gasless mig and an arc and metal is more like paper. Cut and paste.

My friends old man put a Cummins 210 8.3L 6cyl Diesel out of an LN8000 with an Allison 6 speed electronic auto into a '78 F-150 Custom.

It all depends on how keen you are.

I have noticed with toyota's that they don't like to change design often and love backwards compatibilty so keeping your changes inside the engine family will make things alot easier. Then again i've been sitting at the weighbridge and had what i thought was an AE86 pull on. Getting weighed for Blue plate and rego he popped the bonnet and i found out it was an SR86.

Yup a Nissan SR-20 DET. I was a little upset at the idea but i said nothing.

All i needed was the misfiring as he took off.

Goes to show nothing is impossible.

post-4158-1188621955.jpg

post-4158-1188622237_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rosegum