Matts Ke30......sr20det

Members dont see this ad

Thanks trev and carlos. I now have the moneys saved for the tailshaft so will be able to start it soon. I spent the day working on this today due to the rain, I usually don't touch it on the weekends. hooked up charcoal canister, fuel reg boost line, wastegate boost line and bov line as well. Also bled the brakes. Initially the master was leaking from the bias side, I rebuilt the other side but the kit didn't come with the bias side. Fixed that with parts out of a spare one here. Then had a blocked bleed screw in the rear, pulled and cleaned that. Bled brakes up and things went well, lots and lots of pedal, they bled up really really well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, start up time..... First challenge, stater motor wouldn't crank. Pulled it out and into pieces, not much wrong there. A bit confused for awhile.

then tried to start it at night, I could see a spark jumping from the starter to the bellhousing. EARTH! I have about 10 earthing points on the engine but none on the starter itself. the paint was preventing it from getting properly to the starter. lesson learned.

IMG_1319_zpsc26daea0.jpg

So next challenge. Cranking over good now, but not firing. so.. fuel or spark? I put the noid lights on each injector, they are firing, so cas is working fine as well. Spark issues.

After much research it appears the ecu is unable to drive the msd dis 4, due to not being able to set a constant charge time. So... I ordered an igniter box from usa. Arrived this week.

Today I wired in the igniter box, and we have some some sort of spark, but working against the engine.

So I changed from the cas back to the dissy for its crank angle sensor, purely because I know where no1 is on the dissy, whereas the cas with the different disk in it is not as easy to tell.

Still same problem, so I went through my wiring to check that I wired the 4 coils as a firing order, rather than 1-4. Problem found, problem easy solved.

So about 11am it started for the first time!!!! ....but runs like a wrx, I'm short one cylinder.

Went for a spin around the block, definitely short a cylinder.

Pulled each injector plug, no1 makes no difference. Pulled plug on no1, no spark once again.

worked though cutting wires and testing, not the coils, not the ecu, swapped 2 cylinders on the igniter and the problem swapped cylinders!

Problem found.

Wired in a spare single igniter and for the first time it runs on 4 cylinders!

Gearbox was an unknown, bought at a swap meet as a stage 2 fresh gearbox, it seems to work good.

Motor seems to function so far, even though I built it .

So its been a successful day, real stoked.

4wd battery for hours of starting attempts.

IMG_1352_zpsd9bcd25f.jpg

Temporary mechanical oil pressure gauge.

IMG_1346_zps9cf5e203.jpg

IMG_1354_zps7e26154c.jpg

IMG_1356_zpsf04f657a.jpg

Also, the complete fuel system.

IMG_1347_zps0548f653.jpg

IMG_1348_zps71589b47.jpg

IMG_1351_zpse94d5dac.jpg

IMG_1350_zpsb543b17f.jpg

IMG_1349_zps4737f836.jpg

Also the new mtb.

IMG_1357_zps8afdfe5f.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just spent like 2 hours going thru your whole thread in awe, wow how do I describe this I can't really give it justice with words but ill try; bloody awesome job! I'm so keen to see this in person at the strip and on the street. Love your work. Great to see another person added to the growing number of street driven/rego'd spastic fast cars. I'm trying to get there myself well to 10.5 and booted till I get serious and go cage etc. Interested in seeing your 'revisited' caltracs too I'm looking at making some for my 55 in the near future.

• 2 months later...

hey thanks man, I didn't see your reply earlier, looks like your well on your way to your goals with some pretty decent times.

Dropped the rola off to a spray painter on tuesday of this week for a doors closed respray, I rubbed it all back, they did the mask, spray and clean.

Picked it back up on Friday. the car is now one colour, turned out really nice, enthusiasm is high.

IMG_1466_zpsec62693c.jpg

IMG_1467_zps810e7f46.jpg

IMG_1469_zps96b21bb8.jpg

IMG_1470_zps9412e9e9.jpg

IMG_1471_zpsc5a861d4.jpg

Will reassemble in the coming week, I should be able to create a short list now and get serious about some rego, first on the list is an oil leak on the engine, then pad roll cage, then get my brother here to help me get it running better for rego.

I have been working through getting this ready for rego. A few things to sort out.

boot latch sorted, the lock is usually on the boot, rather than the car.

IMG_1490_zps4180130f.jpg

IMG_1485_zpsa79baf85.jpg

1.Roll café padding is all done.

IMG_1509_zpsa6e9f414.jpg

2.I had problems with the wipers and lights, found it to be in the column switch, ordered a new chinese one off ebay but its faulty, so waiting on another one.

IMG_1519_zps834e370a.jpg

IMG_1505_zpsde45b8da.jpg

3. swapped dissy over for the cas, and set timing up correctly.

IMG_1511_zpsb0d47041.jpg

4. removed and remounted shifter, was moving too much.

IMG_1484_zps801f7d90.jpg

5. rear chrome and NOS parts added.

IMG_1507_zps90b625f7.jpg

PARTS ORDERED:

1. Another column switch to get all lights wipers ect working

2. Ebay sump pan, custom one has crap flange that leaks.

3. custom spark leads to suit coil location.

4. front bumper in getting rechromed, everything else has been done so why not.

STILL TO SORT:

1. find a chrome bonnet strip

2. some stealth looking wheels to pass rwc and use on the street.

IMG_1493_zpsac202050.jpg

• Upvote 1