Matts Ke30......sr20det

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Working towards what i need for tech, and some added things i would like to do. I've just ordered some cheap ally tanks off ebay to modify, going to 1.5l oil catch can, and a 2l water overflow. 
I'm going to add a gearbox puke tank as well but can't find a shape i like, or a price i like so will probably make that one from scratch.
Also been shopping for a c4 scatter shield, the problem is i don't really want to pay for one then find out it doesn't suit my tunnel and have to cut it up. my cable pull faces up on the gearbox so may have to change that as well.

I am really happy with the setup, nothing hektic about the drive at all. Tyre is a 225/50/15 drag radial bfg. A 24" tire.  I'm really suprised how well they are hooking so will make it my goal to run a 9 on this tyre before i inevitably go to a 26" tyre. Previously i was using a 205/50/15 drag radial mt 23.5" tyre was quite amazed how well they hooked as well for such a small tyre. 

Edited by oh what a nissan feeling!
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I had the head off this last week as it was lifting under full boost. After a bit of research it turns out that arp have revised the torque specs of the head bolts since i assembled the motor. From 70ftlb to 90 ftlb because of heads lifting under higher boost. So i got the head skimmed but it was pretty mint anyways, and put it back together with a tomei 1mm head gasket, and 90ftlb. I also took a good look at the cam timing and made some changes. 

Problem solved no longer pushing coolant under high boost, but a big rush putting it back together to get to the last roll racing event of the year. 

So i was completely unprepared and probably shouldn't have gone, but it turned out to be a really good night, even though i was constantly fixing things. 

Thermo fans didn't work, so it got hot after the first race. Fixed that. 

Air filter was blocked, so removed that, then made a dodgy oil can can out of drink bottle supplied by a couple of cool blokes from Schneider- fully sponsored. 

Fuel pump fuse holder melted, bad joins in the holder need to find a better design. Fixed that with sticky tape. 

Flicked off the fan belt because water pump pulley had started to come loose.

And blew off a cooler pipe.

But all that aside the car was faster than its ever been, it hooked up better than i ever could have hoped. The change in cam timing has made a difference, it was really moving. 

Was in the last 6 cars in elimination, had to race a vl that i had already raced earlier, it was next level to my car, it had about half a car length between us across the line.

Vids to come

• 3 months later...

Thanks mate! 

Entered the Powerplay thats on 12th of May.

3 weeks to do a bit of prep, I'm halfway through changing my oil catch can, water overflow, and making a puke tank for the gearbox. Also wired in a new wideband but need to paint and assemble the little bit of the dash where the heater used to be.  

• 1 month later...

So i broke it at powercruise. Was pumping oil into the catch can and filling it up really quick. Didn't realise and probably ran the sump dry a bit.

Found oil catch was full, emptied it, and it filled again within about 10 or so power hits. 

Started knocking and i put out on the trailer.  

Pulled it down this week it spun a bearing. Pulled the pistons, broken ring on number 2 due to not enough ring gap, as i added boost recently things got a bit tighter.  Also should have stepped up to a 7 heat range plug as i added boost, the heat  on the 6 plugs was 4 threads when i pulled them. Was correct on 25psi but should have gone to 7s for the extra boost. My bad.

So... will fix the scuffing in the bottom end, grab some new rings and gap them better this time, fit 7 plugs, wack it back together and add some more boost.  

Also purchased a gtx3576 gen2 last week, so should be 100+ hp higher on the same boost.  

I put it on the dyno at powercruise while i was there, did 400+hp on the first pull, added boost and it climbed power faster but ran out of spark and broke down. Was running .6 plug gap, will gap the plugs down to .45 from now on to give it more room.  

Yep thankfully the piston is fine, a bit of scuff on the sides because of the disintegrating bearing below it, but no damage as a result of the broken ring. Will be fine to go back in with a new set of rings. 

On closer inspection of the crank its definitely no good.   So i pulled one from a spare motor tonight, will measure it up and see if out needs a grind.  

• Upvote 1