Matts Ke30......sr20det

Members dont see this ad
  • 4 months later...

A quick cut & paste update, plenty has happened over the last few months, a few dramas. have entered powercruise thats on in a few weeks.

Fixed a few things this week.

My intake plenum has started to crack, i figured not enough flex in the intercooler piping. So i bought and installed two of those bubble type joiners instead of the normal straight ones. Hopefully that buys me some time to sort out what I'm gonna do with intake side of things.'

IMG_2705_zps7ys2y23q.jpg

IMG_2706_zpstzdujwjq.jpg

IMG_2707_zpszp3sf5n2.jpg

IMG_2710_zpsx83cygpk.jpg

IMG_2709_zpsivyluyoa.jpg

Also I have some drag radials here in a 225/50/15 BF goodridge. I bought them with a set of greg weld wheels, but the rear wheels don't clear the brakes. So today i got them put on a pair of rims that do fit on the car, doing the downshift qr thing so worth a try. I have been running 205/50/15 drag radials but they don't really hook up without rear passengers. According to the online drag calculator thing, with my 300kg or passengers i lose 10mph over the 1/4 mile, and .8 of a sec. It would be nice to know how it goes with me + traction. I have some sorting to do with the rear end thats for sure.

IMG_2713_zps54yfkeza.jpg

Changed brake fluid today, last time at powercruise i boiled the fluid, the brakes on this work really well and i love to make use of that, i learned to go easier on them after the fluid boiled. So now changed over to penrite race fluid, likely an overkill, but peace of mind too.

IMG_2715_zpsynthafqy.jpg

IMG_2712_zpsz9dgcrua.jpg

IMG_2711_zps9bb7zoes.jpg

Slowly working on sorting the rearend of the car, i have another diff here to shorten, i have ordered a 31 spline truetrac centre last week, also bought a spare rear floor of the same vehicle to assist with a few minor changes to underneath.

So this has been undergoing some maintenance over the last couple of months. As usual a quick few things has grown to a larger problem.

1. Gearbox valve body needs a clean out and new oil. On the last cruise 1st and 2nd became unavailable.

2. Plenum crack got worse, so weld that up, re-finish and repaint.

3. Change valve springs for heavier seat pressure, check shims.

****4. cams heavily worn, need replace................

plenum welded up and getting there.

IMG_2721_zpswnlhtdpt.jpg

have not yet got to the gearbox.

So cams, valve springs, shims.

IMG_2725_zpsl76l7yrg.jpg

IMG_2728_zpseo4dglpz.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsjpmyysm9.jpg

So cams have bad wear, when i built the engine i failed to put the new cam squirters onto the cam caps, instead i installed the ones that were from the head originally, these are partially blocked resulting in premature cam wear. me dumbass.

So i fund some new cams off some bloke on gumtree, same same tomei 272 12.5 lift. 456$ later they arrive at my door, to my dismay the intake cam is for a vvt sr20, i was unaware 272 cams came in a vvt option, now i know. me dumbass.

So now i have to degree the two intake cams to find the differences between the two...

Next is valvesprings.

This is the problem:

25 psi 387hp 26 psi 365hp

IMG_2681_zps1qdqazxu.jpg

Current springs in engine: NAPREC ------Setting load: 30kg-f or 66lbs (At 12mm lift: 82kg-f or 181 lbs)

http://www.rhdjapan.com/naprec-strengthened-valve-springs-sr20de-t.html

I suspect the valve springs are the reason the for the lean over. other options are the turbo is out of puff ( doubt it) or intake is choking.

New springs are performance springs with these specs.

88Lbs installed and 187Lbs at 12.5mm lift.

So i am theoretically increasing seat pressure by 22lbs.

Yesterday i removed one of the narprec springs, i will measure installed height and take the two springs in to get measured at installed and 12.5 lift. will do this tuesday.

old cams out

IMG_2741_zpssu27zjtx.jpg

new cams in

IMG_2740_zpsulzc5pbu.jpg

degreed the intake camshafts for difference, there is a very slight difference in duration between the vvt cam and the s13 cam. As we all know though very slight is heaps in a cam.

info is in thousandths of inch, dial gauge was direct on the camshaft.

IMG_2749_zpsvwlkaorv.jpg

lots of stuff painted, new tappet cover with lumps removed, plenum painted up again, also painted intake and intercooler piping. I prefer the pipes polished but that never seems to happen properly so paint is low maintenance, and looks better than badly polished alloy.

IMG_2744_zpsv6blbkfh.jpg

IMG_2743_zpsn85hf7jm.jpg

IMG_2742_zpsalokwdtl.jpg

should be running again this week, trying to get hold of the injector cleaning guy, id2000 sitting for 3 months = pop.

I have been driving the car a heap since its been working again, but has had boost control issues since being back on the road again, was sitting on wastegate pressure 15 psi.

I found a split in a boost control pipe and that was the issue, however that put the boost map out, so have been doing a fair bit of logging to get the map right again.

I will post up some screenshots soon. off to the goldcoast now.

• 2 weeks later...

Powercruise prep time.

Today i removed the valve body from the auto and disassembled and cleaned it.

The problem i have is sometimes 1st and 2nd have no drive to them after a good thrashing, by that i mean that 1 and 2 do provide load to the engine but no drive, it just slowly stalls the engine. A mate of mine told me its likely pistons in the valve body getting stuck. So valvebody disassembled and cleaned, and will go back in tomorrow.

I doubt this gearbox will survive powercruise, its not real happy with me.

Afterward i will change the box out for the Als race glides one, need to get the stall sorted at the same time.

Not sure if this is of interest to anyone here, here some info and screenshots from sorting the boost issue.

DAY 1:

this is how it is hooked up:

turbosmart%20plumbing_zpscm8qkcmn.jpg

To troubleshoot:

I have changed the mac valve to another one, I also tested both on a battery to check they operate correctly, also pulled apart and cleaned both.

I Tested voltage at the wires with the valve unplugged.

I changed the dpo output on the ecu, and ran new wire from dpo17 as opposed to previously dpo2.

boost map

haltech%20boost%20map_zpsh2hia2ky.png

Logs

haltech%20boost%20logs_zpsgiw3jg5z.png

DAY 2:

Tested the mac valve for operation, it pulsed quite hard on 33hz and 50% , so it seemed like all is well.

I changed the table to have zero's on it, so the valve will no longer pulse constantly,

boost%204_zpsp3hcn2gn.png

So I went for drive and logged the with the boost table unchanged.

boost%201.1_zpsrxnwwqe8.png

then added 10% to the table to see what changed.

boost%201.2_zpsogs3pays.png

boost control log increased as it should, boost didnt change.

After hearing the mac valve and doing those logs it seems the issue has to be mechanical. Going to jack the car up and recheck the dash 4 lines, i will pull them down this time and check for burns and blockages ect. If nothing there I will pull the top off the wastegate.

DAY 3:

Found a boost control pipe that was leaking, so I replaced that today.

At first it seemed like nothing had changed, then I added 20% then another 20% to the duty, It ended up around 22psi, so working!

Logs from today, 3 boost settings on there, I had it activating at 6k rpm, then changed it to 4k.

boost%202.2_zpsfzcqhzsd.png

boost%202.3_zpsixfoagho.png

DAY 4:

I set the whole table to 40 to see how the boost control is at a base, it sits pretty flat but has a spike at the end that needs to be taken care of. That will happen next week with a bit more testing needed.

boost%203.3_zpsrjs4tsuf.png

boost%203.4_zpsk6vvd7hw.png

Had a chance to change the valve springs?

It could be boost opening the valves enough to loose power.

I've seen some E85 engines under 9:1 comp also play similar games. Seem to like more comp to deal the the different burn rate.

Could even be the dump pipe size.

But in all honesty, given the auto and converter size, thats killer power for the boost.

Edited by kickn5k

I did change the springs over on it, it turned out the ones i had in it were a bit on the light side. When i put the motor together e85 was not yet available here, so i thought 24psi would be about the most it would see. I don't have anything to report yet though as I haven't had it back to the dyno, so still just have the boost cut at 26. I was really surprised too at what it read on the dyno, but the converter is a fair bit tighter than it was supposed to be so that would explain a bit it i think.

• 1 month later...

I didn't take this down to powercruise, started prepping it up then thought "what am I doing, its broken", so I went inside and watched ben ten cartoons.

So a few things are going to happen in the coming weeks/ months.

Install new gearbox.

Stall converter adjusted. (how did they get it so wrong!)

New diff. 3.7 gears, 31 spline billet axles, truetrac.

Rear end floor clearance adjustments.

Diff build is first. I need the diff to be ready before I pull the car apart, atm it still works fine if I don't rage it.

This diff will be 35mm shorter per side, slightly more dish without looking like a drag car.

006_zpsahhvtgwa.jpg

cut and clean

007_zpse0wmpbyp.jpg

on the jig

008_zpsljxjhpkr.jpg

009_zpskcsv82nc.jpg

tacked in place

010_zpskwmwzway.jpg

013_zpsley4y24y.jpg

alignment checked

012_zpsonngysdq.jpg

welded

015_zpsjbw5iwy1.jpg

014_zpsiy1reotm.jpg

alignment rechecked after welding

011_zpsgvdv8d7d.jpg

WE put these rings of sheetmetal under the join to prevent any welding dags from getting into the tube

026_zpsymmbvkoe.jpg

025_zpslt3lof4e.jpg

So the housing is ready, new genuine 3.73 diff gears arrived today, truetrac 31 spline is here, I have Tuesday off so I might take it all to bris on Monday. I have set up plenty of diffs, but with this one I think I will let the pro do it.