Matt'S 7K Ke30

78_7kRolla

Members dont see this ad

Cuzzo - Because it is an actual townace gearbox the mount from factory is actually at the top of the extension housing and no mounting points are on the bottom of this particular housing.

Si - No problems mate, when it's all done i'll put together what i did to carry out the conversion. I am trying to take pics as i go along :lol:

JP - Peace of mind and reliability should be nice. Should be able to handle what i throw at it!

In terms of updates there will most likely be little progress this week as we are short staffed at work :( Meaning little time for side projects aka my car.

I should get sloth to check what the box is behind his 7k. I know the shifter position was back further than the original ke55 4spd. we only get about 5400rpm max but is very torquey. Great to see another twin carb 7k. I felt a bit of a loner when I did Sloths in 2005. Our mechanic said we could probably lower the diff to 3.9 for a better top end.

Your gearbox is most probably a ke70 5 speed as the shifter was further back on them.

UPDATE!

Got my new clutch yesterday and ta22 clutch master cylinder.

Got a shetload of work done today :dance: Gearbox is pretty much mounted up and we have now sorted out the crossmember. Ended up making one out of flat bar instead of modding the old one as this will give much more ground clearance.

Also begun work on part two of the upgrade. R31 diff ;)

Here are some photos.

Crossmember mounting...

post-2153-1276934464_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934496_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934312_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934348_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934377_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934403_thumb.jpg

post-2153-1276934434_thumb.jpg

R31 diff deconstruction...

post-2153-1276934530_thumb.jpg

Mmmm 28 spline....

post-2153-1276934569_thumb.jpg

Clutch

post-2153-1276934607_thumb.jpg

Still to do:

- Modify pedal box and firewall to carry out hydraulic conversion

- Remove dummy fitted gearbox and fit clutch and clean up all the bits and pieces

- Get a 3.7/3.9 center for the diff and LSD to suit

- Get diff shortened and mounting brackets fitted

- Custom tailshaft to suit all the above

- Work out the braking situation (will cross that bridge when i come to it)

That's all for this weekend.

Matt.

Matt, you should have a 3.89 or 3.7 ratio diff already being an R31. We bought a manual R31 diff for my mates chev and one for my wagon, both 28 spline being skyline not pintara riffs and both 3.89 ratio, there not the same as rb powered commodores with there 3.45 ratio.

Works looking great mate, you won't kill anything now!

Jarrad

Should be ok ratio but i'm yet to check mate. I can't wait to stop braking driveline components.

I think you can use the crown wheel and pinion from a pintara which has a 4.11 ratio. Pretty sure thats where mine came from.

Given that you don't have a lack of torque, the 3.89 or 3.7 might be the better choice anyway.

Make sure you get the R31 Callipers rebuilt regardless. I had mine seize on last week from corrosion in the handbrake mechanism.

Nice choice on the clutch brand too. Is it a HD organic?

I have an Xtreme billet flywheel and HD Organic clutch in the Rolla. Good bit of gear. Will wait and see how it holds up behind a Bridgey.

Edited by kangaroosa

That was the plan all along. There was no way i was going to put a 4.11 back in. Plus we have to combat the close ratios in the townace gearbox. I know all the troubles sorrounding R31 rear calipers, as we still service a few of them. I'm going to order the caliper kits next week and do them myself, definitely not taking any chances on calipers that have been sitting around for ages!

Clutch is a HD organic like yours, it was recomended to us by the clutch/brake people we use. Glad to hear someone else is happy with theirs.

Nah mate, used existing one as the shifter hole lined up perfect. I'm not sure how well you can make out from the photos but you can see two tubes/pipes going from the extension housing bolts to the gearbox mount that is also attached to the back of the gearbox via two L-shaped brackets back to back.

Good progress Matt, I didn't realise you were going for the diff upgrade too. Top stuff ! ;)

Does the R31 diff require shortening to fit ? What's the width difference between it and your standard diff ?

Cheers