Project Help

Toy-Yoda

Ok, I'm new to the idea of modifying cars with intent to keep/put them on the road, I'm also new to this site, so please bear with me......

I have a '79 Corolla wagon (see avatar) sporting awful seats, awful alloy wheels, a whining diff (to be replaced ASAP), awful wheel alignment, shot shocks, shot springs, the worlds dodgeyest "sport" steering wheel, 2 out of 5 doors won't open, very little rust (front quarters), and very proudly being motivated by a 7K engine and 5 speed 'box.

Perfect project car then........

I've picked out a theme that I'm aiming for with this car, that part is the secret to be revealed at the end of the build, I will tell you all it's going to be a street/track oriented car, but I've picked out a set of gorgeous 15X7 wheels, 4X100, +40 offset, and will pick them up soon(ish)....... That is where the problems start, I know I can't make the wheels fit too easily with out bringing the guards out a bit, no problem there, but I want to do a brake upgrade, does anyone know what's possible as far as that goes?

I know nothing about brakes, so I have no idea what size Disks I can shove behind those wheels allowing for the callipers....... Or whether I should aim for 2 potor 4 pot calipers.......

I'm replacing the (very tired) open diff center with a 2 way item from Cusco, so that bits easy, but is there a possibility of a Disk brake upgrade for the original diff or will I have to commandeer one from another car and engineer it to fit? Or is it adviseable/safe to leave the drum brakes in and go for air ducting to keep them cool and upgrade to Street/race pads?

The 7K will get binned (eventually) as will the gearbox in favour of a higher revving unit with better output (no details yet, I'm keeping that one close to my chest).

Are quick racks availiable for a car like this?

Is there anything resembling sport leaves for the rear end available on the market?

Any help/suggestions welcome and appreciated, I know Ive been long winded, but I genuinely have run out of ideas and people to ask........

Thanks in advance.......

Members dont see this ad

welcome to the forum,

sorry to tell you 4x100 wheels wont fit, and you would want close to +10 to 0 offset for them to actuly fit and need to look at the guards,

any thing out of a celica is an upgrade but i would suggest some ra23 or ra40 struts

cusco diff center wont fit unless you get a t series diff and put leaf mounts on and drop it in the car,

just get yourself another set of leafs and flip some, i can help with this if need be, will stiffen it up and lower it at the same time,

7k sounds like the G-O

quick racks are avalible but it would have t be from a dinky die jap model one and really isn't worth the hastle.

look forward to seeing your car around and hopefully on a cruse when we can work one out

It would need a rack in it first before a quick rack. The diff centre is not compatible with an AE86 cusco diff. It should have either a borg warner or jap u series if it's standard. If you have a t series in there, you've already done well.

Discs are what you can make fit. Have a look at anything by Demuire as he has the Pug/ Land Cruiser conversion on his. I have EVO1 rotors and VT 2 spots that will go on to mine shortly. Lots of info about here and on toymods, searching through will get you good info.

Have never over heated drums and I've done worse things than you could ever have imagined to race and rally cars over many years. Rear discs can be done relatively easily.

Leaf resets and adding leaves should be able to be done competently by any REPUTABLE suspension shop.

Hope this helps. 8/

R

Wow, thanks for the quick replys guys!

Ok, first, bugger, I thought those wheels would fit. (didn't get out a tape measure) and yeah, I'd considered the guards.

I'm reasonably certain the diff is the borg warner aussie classic, so I guess I need to bin that.

T series diff is out of the rt 132 corona and ta22 celica isn't it? (all I could find)

Ra 40 struts could be a good idea, hadn't considered it, I was going to get some to fit from a catalouge...... Money saved!

I like the idea of scavenging parts off other cars...... For some crazy reason it appeals to me....... Evo disks with VT (commodore?)calipers, clever mix and match......

About the quick rack, ok, forgotten.

Thanks again guys, hopefully this build won't take forever, as I look forward to track days and cruises....... (I'm not allowed to use the hatch, dammit)

P.S. I'll post a few pics of the build as it gets underway and as it goes through (funds allowing), I'll also post a few of what ended up happening to my old beater '85 Rolla when I bought a new(er) car........

*Edit* Flat out, thankyou for your offer to help out with the rear leaves, I may just take you up on it when I get around to doing them........

Edited by Toy-Yoda

Hey Buddy, welcome to rollaclub. Luckily for You Launceston seems to be one of the best rolla cities per capiter, we have over 10 regularly active members here!

Firstly I going to express some interest!!!! If you're taking the 7k out....I WANT IT!!!! :jamie: I'll pay a deposit while its still in the car if you want!!!

And, if you ever get sick of the rolla all together, then I'll take the wagon too!! 8/ May even swap for a sedan!

If you're just getting into rollas, or just wanna chat rollas, come round for a afternoon beer and chat, have a look at my cars and I'll explain some answers. I live in the middle of town, just send me a PM and I'll tell you where. :y: Much easier than trying to type every option.

Hello all, new question that I didn't feel warranted the opening of a new thread.........

The wagon has crappy chrome bumpers on it, are they paintable? if so, how?

I was looking at it today and decided that the bumpers need to be the same colour as the body (after it gets it's respray), new bumpers or not.

Edited by Toy-Yoda

first of all! welcome! as simon has said, there are quite a few "rolla fags" in launceston most of which would be more than happy to answer your questions and help you out! so don't be afraid to ask! also feel free to pop round to my house, or add me to msn (pm for more details) i can answer questions that you might have, to the best of my ability (simon would ultimately know more) i also have some connections with a tassie parts company that can do custom fabrication, 2nd hand parts (shocks, wheels etc) and they also are t-3 dealer! (pm for more details about this)

i recommend you take a look at www.ae86drivingclub.com.au even though you don't have an 86, its worth heading over just to checkout there forum sponsors and what they have to offer if anything! also don't forget to checkout the rollaclub sponsors! becoming a member of Toymods is also a VERY good idea as the information on that site is unbelievable!

FRONT BRAKES: ive been looking into a swap which (basically) involves ra60 struts, nissan r32 4 spot calipers, r32 rotors re-drilled to 4stud, you would also need a better master cylinder and braided lines would also be ideal!

DIFF: t-series from ta22/t18/ra40/ra23 would be fine for anything up to 130-150kw

IMO if you plan on making anymore than that you should look into an f or g-series diff.

the g-series would need to be re-drilled to 4stud and would need some brakes to suit, the r31 swap is popular if you go with this option!

the f-series can be had in 4stud with drum rears (from a tarago i think),

which as with the drums on the t-series, would more than be up to the task of pulling the car up with some decent braided lines and new drum shoes!

a brake bias adjuster might also be an idea!

LSD: a cusco 2way centre is available to the best of my knowledge for a t-series TRD also do 2ways, and so do KAAZ I'm pretty sure

as for the f-series I'm pretty sure TRD do a 2 way to suit!

g-series is not so lucky i don't think you can get an aftermarket 2way, but you can use a std lsd from a hilux (?) although this is obviously not going to be as tight as a 2way centre!

WHEELS: you need something in 4x113.4! you should EASILY be able to get 15x7 +40 under (providing they clear the struts), just the PCD is wrong! casey (flat out) has 14x7 -3ish on the back of his car and theres no problems! I'm 95% sure that thing has stock gaurds, but remember with any of those diffs listed above your going to get a rear track increase!

SUSPENSION: with the ra60 struts you SHOULD be able to find a decent short stroke shock (from an sw20 mr2 i THINK don't quote me), like KONI adjustables, KYB AGX adjustables, 2nd hand TRD adjustables, 2nd hand tokito adjustables would also be ideal.

IMO weld on coilover conversion for the struts would be your best bet for springs in the front, giving you whateva spring rate you like + height adjust ability!

camber tops would be ideal also to give you some adjust ability as far as camber goes! Cusco makes these, as does T-3, and i believe tein does them aswell! (all to suit 86 which should fit, if not with a minor re-drill/slot of the strut top)

a strut brace would be ideal for the front but that'd have to be a custom item, not hard to make if you know how to use a welder or know someone who does! (hint hint there are plenty on here that do!)

you might want some different longer lca's which will add some camber and track which is always good! but could cause understeer in wet if you go overboard!

sway bars would also be ideal, Whiteline makes them as does KMAC

add some new poly bushes all round if your really keen!

For the rear some decent adjustable short stroke shocks and some re-packed leaf packs would be the go, and some people have done a custom panhard rod conversion? I'm yet to do some re-search as to whether this is even a good idea on a leaf sprung rear end!

thats about all i think i have to say! Thats my ideal setup for a ke30-55 with a good engine whether it be high revving n/a or a turbo (my proffered option) i think that would be an awesome setup for the track and the street! i'd also add into the equation a decent sports steering wheel, gauges, and a good bucket seat!

if ive missed anything, JUST ASK!

WHEELS: you need something in 4x113.4! you should EASILY be able to get 15x7 +40 under (providing they clear the struts), just the PCD is wrong! casey (flat out) has 14x7 -3ish on the back of his car and theres no problems! I'm 95% sure that thing has stock gaurds, but remember with any of those diffs listed above your going to get a rear track increase!

their 114.3

lol close