Sa Transportation Laws

fusion

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was going to start a new thread but saw this one so will post in here - was actually looking at that document yesterday!

Looking to get my 4age KE70 engineered - have put the forms in to Transport SA (application form), and they'll apparently give me a list of what they require. Am hoping to be able to do it without engineering, but highly doubt this will be the case. If so, will be up for about $2k to get it engineered. Rang lots of places and they all say about that amount. Seems like alot considering its been a swap with all standard parts from a sprinter that bolt into the ke70 with no/little modification.

So the question i wanted to put forward was, has anyone done a engine swap and needed to get engineering done (4age into a ke70 would be great), and if so, what did it cost you to get this done? It would pass engineering without a problem as its got JDM brakes etc, but $2k seems like alot of money to get a bit of paper telling me its safe when i already know this ;)

Yeah, 20% increase in capacity or power/torque it has to be looked at - got no problems with taking it over regency for them to check out, just don't want to pay $2000 for an engineer to do the same thing but put it on paper. Could always say i thought it was a 4AC and put a sticker on the engine to reflect the same thing ;) Will see what regency come back with, and will update on whatever they say :bash:

Unfortunately the guys at regency are trained not to be that gullible! You might get away with calling it a 4AC at the local cop shop (a mate of mine got away with an LJ torana with a very messy 2JZ conversion at the barossa cop shop - they thought it was air-conditioning or something!!!).

yeah, but i've read somewhere that even if its down with the engine number it's still void without an engineer's certificate or something from them saying its okay if you have a crash crying.gif

Unfortunately you are right - your insurance (compulsory and otherwise) is void if the car is not engineered.

My advice - make sure everything is clean and working correctly, especially with suspension and brakes as that is what they are concerned with mainly. Unfortunately there are very few people who can do the engineers certificates in SA and $2000, no matter how expensive it may seem, is the only way to do it correctly.

The unfortunate truth is that you could continue driving your un-engineered KE70 forever with little chance of ever having a problem - even if it had a blown V8 in it, but the moment you hit Mr.Fancys new BMW or take out someones fence whilst drifting you are in big, big trouble...particularly if there are injuries involved

It sucks, I know...

Couldn't hurt to find someone who has done a similar conversion though - how about that red 20V KE11 which was at Toyoshow?

Good luck turbo rolla

Edited by TOM

Thanks Tom. thats the thing - some cop on the road may not have an idea about the car, but the people at regency will know that its not standard. Purely and simply my only concern is like you said - hitting a fancy bmw or something where injuries are involved, cause then that turns into tens of thousands, instead of $2k. Just not sure if i want to put that money into the car though as its taken enough money already. driven it as is for about 12 months without any dramas what so ever, but not really comfortable taking the risk any more. i really don't drift it, so thinking about just getting a little ae82 twinky or something and either selling the rolla as is if i could get the price i want, or parting all the good stuff out ;) Should have an answer from SA transport next week so will wait to see what is decided!

how about that red 20V KE11 which was at Toyoshow?

that thing didnt have a mod plate anywhere that i could see.

rolla_4's twinky had a 4ac in it and it now has a 20v and it was only a changed engine number, so it is "apprently" legal

Edited by MYSTIK

i put in an "application to modify" form on monday to Transport SA and figured it'd be knocked back. Put forward what i thought was a pretty good case and didnt sound like a young hoon who wanted to make his car as quick as possible to impress the chicks......gave them a ring today to see what the progress was (decided i was going to sell it cause i didnt wanna pay the $$$$ to engineer it, and was gonna go look at an AE102 corolla tomorrow - i know :)). They'd finished the application and the guy let me know the verdict over the phone:

NO ENGINEERING REQUIRED* :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :sob:

* will beleive it when i see it in writing though :(

He said that he'd basically used the specs of a JDM KE70/TE71 that came with a 2gteu (???) engine that had 86kw - compared to that, the 4age is only a 10% increase in power, so i think they used that in addition to the fact i've done all the "bolt in" options and brake & diff upgrades to decide that it'd be fine. They're sending out the "statement of requirements" next week, but it'll basically just have to go over the pits now to get approved. I cannot express how f$#Ken stoked i am with this! I was walking down the mall after work on the phone and almost fell over when he said it didnt need to be engineered cause i was resigned to a negative response from them :)

If you ask nicely i might post the list of requirements and the reasoning etc for future 4age into ke70 kids :sob:

i put in an "application to modify" form on monday to Transport SA and figured it'd be knocked back. Put forward what i thought was a pretty good case and didnt sound like a young hoon who wanted to make his car as quick as possible to impress the chicks......gave them a ring today to see what the progress was (decided i was going to sell it cause i didnt wanna pay the $$$$ to engineer it, and was gonna go look at an AE102 corolla tomorrow - i know :)). They'd finished the application and the guy let me know the verdict over the phone:

NO ENGINEERING REQUIRED* :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :sob:

* will beleive it when i see it in writing though :(

He said that he'd basically used the specs of a JDM KE70/TE71 that came with a 2gteu (???) engine that had 86kw - compared to that, the 4age is only a 10% increase in power, so i think they used that in addition to the fact i've done all the "bolt in" options and brake & diff upgrades to decide that it'd be fine. They're sending out the "statement of requirements" next week, but it'll basically just have to go over the pits now to get approved. I cannot express how f$#Ken stoked i am with this! I was walking down the mall after work on the phone and almost fell over when he said it didnt need to be engineered cause i was resigned to a negative response from them :)

If you ask nicely i might post the list of requirements and the reasoning etc for future 4age into ke70 kids :yes:

the 4age isnt a 10% increase in power considering you are using a bigport 4age which is 86kw so it roughly the same power out put. now if it had been a smallport then its more than a 10% increase :sob:

but anyways it still good to know that the 4age is able to be put into ke70 series here in SA and is legal as long as it has the supporting brake upgrades etc.