How To Improve My Corollas Power?

aazad1

Hi everybody, i am very new to this forum stuff, so please help me out along the way.

I have a 1991 toyota corolla hatch AE94. The engine for my car is a 4A-FE. The problem is I'm starting to get a little bored smile.gif so i would like to know how to increase the power of my car, even if its just a little. Hopefully getting the extra power with out putting a new engine (e.g. 4A-GE) or a turbo set up in my car. I am very happy with my car, just want a little more power. I don't have very deep pocket either sad.gif still a student and work part time. All your input will be very appreciated. thank

Members dont see this ad

you will get bored with any little power upgrade you do, so i wouldn't waste your money on the whole pod filter + exhaust thing. maybe test drive a 4age powered corolla and see how much of a difference that would be.

4AGE or 4AGZE as one a 4AFE anything that u do do to it will be minimal as jono said and u'll soon want something better again i'd say just save for a bit and do an engine conversion or save and sell ur car and buy another rolla that has a 4age in it already with the money

Personally, depending on your $$, i think if you saved up $1500 you could have alot of fun.

Get an exhaust, and the bling bling air filter. exhaust $300. extractors $200. Filter $100. Then, spend some of the remanding money on taking the car to someone genuine who knows what they are doing to remove and recondtion the cylinder head (get valve angles all recut, head fresh-up), and get the head ported and flowed. It doesnt have to be anything RACE like, but you would be amazed how little things can make a bid difference. After looking at 4afe heads and 4age heads, i too now agree that the 4afe heads have more potential, due to the port angle.

Keep enough $$, to get some larger injectors.

Happy Days !

thanks for all the replies so far, alot of you are saying about putting in a 4age engine instead. would this be better then trying to modify my 4afe. also what kind of prices would i be looking at for a 4age engine. also if i changed engine, would anything else need to be changed?? if any of you know this information and prices, could you please list them. thanks

also how much power does a stock 4afe 16 valve engine have? can't seem to find this info.

teddy, if your looking mentioning the theroys of sam Q then you also know what he has said about it being a much harder way aswell.

fe heads have wakk cam gears, one gear drives off of another making adajustable camgears more difficult and harder to tune as when you change the belt driven cam the gear driven one would change aswell.. as well as basically no aftermarket support other then ome for the head. cam have to be custom ground etc.

another thing you may do to increaasae power on a alow budget is buy a megasquirt ecu kit. it come in peices and you have to solder up the ecu then depending on how handy you are with electronics wire it into the loom. you can download standard maps for most motors so you can keep driving it, then get it profesionally tuned. you may actually get enough power to notice with this mod! please not that its not hard to build one of these as far as figuring which bits go where but it is a little tight so you have to be fairly precise with the solder.

i would also recomend the exhaust (does open mid-topend power) and pod filters are so cheap these days. you can get an average spec pod for around the same price as a paper pannel filter. also making it duct cold air might be a very cheaap way you can havae a play around with it and get a small gain.

pod filters are so cheap these days. you can get an average spec pod for around the same price as a paper pannel filter. also making it duct cold air might be a very cheaap way you can havae a play around with it and get a small gain.

If any gain

Tried it on my old twincam and went back to using a K & N filter in the standard airbox just cleaned its ports up a bit. Plus from the RTA/EPA side of it, its legal unlike a pod filter.

teddy, if your looking mentioning the theroys of sam Q then you also know what he has said about it being a much harder way aswell.

fe heads have wakk cam gears, one gear drives off of another making adajustable camgears more difficult and harder to tune as when you change the belt driven cam the gear driven one would change aswell.. as well as basically no aftermarket support other then ome for the head. cam have to be custom ground etc.

indeed your right here. However all my FE head theory is based on the 94 model onwards head design which I am quite fond of (with the exception of the cam drive!), unfortunetly this 4afe engine is the earlier version and had pretty poor inlet ports and therefore gains would be hard.

It might be an option to fit the later model 7afe head which has the good inlet design and also a stack of lift in the cams however it has like increadibly short duraton so it might be a step backward again.

As you said cams can only be custom, a weld and grind job. I will likely get my sent to QLD to get done as it will cost half of what it would here in VIC.

aazad1: I have to agree with the guys the best option if your willing to put a bit of time in it is a 4age conversion. The good news is that it can be done relatively cheap and easy, well easy compared to a rwd install. What you do is buy an ae82 twinky or an ae93 damaged or just banged up at the auctions or ebay and then swap over the whole engine wiring loom, ecu, engine, intake, exhuast, etc... Everything swaps straight over and it will be reliable and will look totaly factory.

thanks sam_Q, really helpful info there. just wondering where in brisbane you are sending your cams to, and roughly what price it is costing? i live in brisbane and am thinking bout getting mine done to.

so everyone, i read some interesting facts on another corolla forum, i think it was a south african based forum. just want to know what you guy think about what they are doing to ther 4afe engines. these guys were running as good as a 20v silvertop and reckon they still had beta fuel economy.

apparently you can gain bout 25+ kw from getting the following:

• port and polish
  • cylinder head ported and gasflowed
  • cams ground to 268 duration
  • pod fitler
  • free flow exhaust
  • up the compression

also this was some more info i found on a different forum as well, please take a look and tell me what uz think

http://www.tolken.co.za/twincamforum/viewt...ht=dave+repsold

Edited by aazad1

sure thing, its kelford cams and they apparently charge $25 for a weld and grind. I will be using 4age 16V trd valve springs to keep my modified valves in check

I have heard about those guys but never managed to find any engine builds on there for some reason. Do you have any links?

as for the +25kw it would depend heavily on which F head you have, theres like about 4 atleast funny enough.

just as I suspected, hate to be the bearer of the bad news but the earlier model which you have doent have much potential at all as it has very nasty port shapes. The South africans are using the later model head which was available there for significantly longer than what we had here. This is also the head I am working on to make something mean.