Doogs

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

Hey guys,

Pics of repairs and new exhaust;

1358580450251.jpg

1358580452395.jpg

1358580453114.jpg

Now I have finished my work experience year at Holden I have a months break before uni! :D

Time to sort some minor brake and suspension upgrades and build this 5k! I will also be painting the engine bay and venetian and working on the MR2.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Since the last update I have given the car a whole car a cut/polish/wax for Hanging Rock and also painted and fitted the venetian.

11209_425238660896389_1961118524_n_zpsf2e42213.jpg

Now I have started pulling down the 5k so I can get it all machined and build it up as a warm N/A motor to start with. Currently I'm looking into the possibility of fitting forged 'GZE pistons to the 5k so I have the strength down the track when this thing gets boost. There's no point doing the job twice!

I also need to finish the stereo install, and buy some KYB shocks and Corona struts/brakes. I have mainly been working on the MR2 recently though, as the alternator carked it and also I have a motokahna day at DECA this Saturday.

Now I'm back at uni I have plenty of time on my hands but the cash supply is starting to dry up! lol

DSC03769_zpscd994faa.jpg

Few blocked water jackets but otherwise not too bad;

DSC03778_zps9c98194e.jpg

DSC03779_zps554ddd54.jpg

DSC03786_zpsda116bb4.jpg

DSC03806_zpsc12e22e3.jpg

Bit of wear in this bearing;

DSC03799_zps5c8426db.jpg

Cam looks pretty clean, no pitting;

DSC03796_zps37f83428.jpg

Hi there Doogs the repair looks great as does the whole car only wish we had got to Hanging Rock to have a look over it but we will all catch up some day. I hope you have better luck with your 5k build than we have had (thats another story) but getting it sorted now ! anyway keep the great work up and keep the pics coming as we all like pics .

Cheers:- Stuart (Thomas dad).

Hi there Doogs the repair looks great as does the whole car only wish we had got to Hanging Rock to have a look over it but we will all catch up some day. I hope you have better luck with your 5k build than we have had (thats another story) but getting it sorted now ! anyway keep the great work up and keep the pics coming as we all like pics .

Cheers:- Stuart (Thomas dad).

Thanks Stuart, yeah I remember reading about the fire you had! I'll be fitting an extinguisher to the car shortly, don't want any engine fires..

Hey good work there doogs.

I saw your KE a few time with TCCA club. They're having a car, coffee, donuts down in Point Cook this Sunday. Are you going to be there? Keen to check out your car again.

Cheers

Mik

Thanks Mik, I won't be coming down this Sunday as I think you have to pre-register to get in due to it being at the RAAF base. I hadn't decided if I was going when they asked for the list.

Thanks Mik, I won't be coming down this Sunday as I think you have to pre-register to get in due to it being at the RAAF base. I hadn't decided if I was going when they asked for the list.

You can still pre-register if you wish, shall I put your details down Doogs?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

At long last I have finished the stereo install. Pretty happy with the result and it is now a much more pleasurable Daily!

I have also been doing a fair bit of research on internals for my 5k and have come to the conclusion that I won't be needing forgies or 4AGE internals. My wallet is very happy with this decision! Progress will halt for a bit whilst I get some more funds together :/ Uni life!

2013-03-24172516_zps34cffe7d.jpg

I tucked the headunit up under the passenger side of the dash, I was wanting to put it in the centre but clearance to the heater was to little and I didn't want the heat pumping directly onto it. I will put my gauges in this location instead.

One of the main reasons I opted for this headunit was the large choice of backlight colours. I love the fact I can choose a less bling colour that blends in with the standard dash illumination.

2013-03-28112311_zpsd476f513.jpg

Bluetooth mic and tweeter;

2013-03-26142148_zps89821a3b.jpg

2013-03-26142132_zps3c0aa184.jpg

4'' boxed out and sealed (now tucked up under the dash);

DSC03808_zps6ff875ab.jpg

Mate, have just read through your thread - wanted to say congratulations on the massive effort over a sustained period of time.

Being a few years into my project, which sounds similar to yours in being riddled with rust and previous dodgy repairs, I'm inspired by your patience and the work you've put in.

You've done a great job on the car and definitely deserve the 2012 Car of the year title.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the car from here!

Mate, have just read through your thread - wanted to say congratulations on the massive effort over a sustained period of time.

Being a few years into my project, which sounds similar to yours in being riddled with rust and previous dodgy repairs, I'm inspired by your patience and the work you've put in.

You've done a great job on the car and definitely deserve the 2012 Car of the year title.

Look forward to seeing what you do with the car from here!

Thanks for the kind words mate!

it can be a hard slog at times hey!? I'm hoping to keep the progress rate up, as mentioned above cash is now the restriction.

I'm aiming to do a few things differently from here on, as I'd like the car to be a bit unique and not another white Corolla with whitewalls etc.

Good luck with your build!

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I went down to Crankshaft Rebuilders in Blackburn with my second cousin who's helping me build my motor (he has a few tricks up his sleeve he is happy to teach me after many years in the game). The guys down at Crankshaft Rebuilder's have known him for years and so I expect they will look after me.

I left them with my;

Block + caps

Pistons/rods

Flywheel

Crank

We will be going for a set of pistons afterall ($100 for 0.040'' oversize with a shallower dish to up the comp).

They will also be hot tanking the block and measuring critical dimensions. crack test crank, linish worn journal, balance everything, supply a set of copper/lead bearings (should be a bit more resilient and have some self lubricating properties in the event of mild oil starve/surge).

i still need to;

Pull down the head and cc the bowls, port and rebuild with new stem seals and seat job, decide on hydro or solid lifters, head to Clive Cams for a nice lumpy cam, sort ignition, paint bay, struts and brakes (XT130/RA60 struts and hubs, MA61 slotted and vented rotors, Cressida or RX7 calipers, coilover sleeve kit, AE86 steering arms, T Series diff or BW78 with LSD.

Heaps still on the cards!

Cheers,

Dougal

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Bottom end machining has been completed at last, I still need to pick it all up and then cc the head and get the top end sorted.

2013-06-10100648_zps371334df.jpg

2013-06-10100626_zpsa61eef21.jpg

I also purchased a new Exedy HD clutch and that was balanced to the flywheel, in addition to all the rest of the internals that were balanced. Can't wait to slap it all together once my exams are done! :D

The exciting stuff;

2013-06-11091350_zpscd50692b.jpg

New clutch, lightened flywheel and balanced the assembly to suit;

2013-06-11091650_zps017fdd86.jpg

Balanced and clearances closed up;

2013-06-11091748_zpsbbb1f006.jpg

Crack tested, linished, balanced;

2013-06-11092021_zpsfff04cca.jpg

Gives you an idea on the reduction in dish (yet to cc for a value);

2013-06-11093636_zpsd65a1a76.jpg

2013-06-11093656_zpsa5c693ec.jpg

Next week I'm gonna head down to Clive Cams to pick his brains and get a cam grind on the way. I also need to track down some molly rings to suit the +0.040'' pistons. I have been told that cast rings and boost are a bad idea..