Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

Members dont see this ad

I managed to get a little more done today starting with ;

Finishing the stripping back and rust converting of the bootlid area and then spraying a light coat of etch primer.

The current light coat of primer is a temporary measure to attempt to reduce rusting untill the repairs are properly

done at my mates place next weekend.

100_0938.jpg

100_0944.jpg

100_0946.jpg

I also delivered the front gaurd and bootlid to ''Alliance Industries'' to get garnit blasted, hopefully this will be

finished by mid next week. Both of these have rust problems and will require some work when they return.

The below picture is to attempt to show the crows feet across the bootlid.

When I purchased the car I noticed the previous paint job was not great quality, and it has become more apparent

over the past few months.

100_0940.jpg

I began to strip back the front apron and it is now coated in rust converter (the photos are prior to this).

100_0948.jpg

100_0950.jpg

100_0951.jpg

100_0952.jpg

Hopefully I will be able to deliver the front seats to the upholsterer's next week so they are ready in the next month or

so. (Gotta love birthday presents from parents ;) )

The back of the seats are quite good, but the fronts show their age a little more.

100_0929.jpg

100_0930.jpg

100_0932.jpg

100_0933.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After a long couple of days work with the help of some great mates and their shed, most of the car has been painted.

It was an up and down couple of days, where great progress was made along with a few problems. We were unable to

fix and paint the front left gaurd and bootlid, due to the blasters taking their time on completing the task :(

Chances are that they will be finished by them this week. :(

So we chose to straighten, paint and remove rust from;

>The front apron

>Bonnet

>The drivers side

>The boot area

>Roof

>Doorjams

Along with a few other spots.

The prep work went well and we managed to get what we were painting straight and rust free. Primer was applied

and all was looking good. When we began to paint topcoat more problems arose.

When we began to apply topcoat in many places a reaction took place and the paint was not sticking properly causing runs and other imperfections. This is thought to have been a reaction between the paint and a residue left from use of a silicone polish in the past.

(And no it was not just poor spray technique).

Due to this much of the paint will need to be cut back and treated before being repainted. Thankfully some areas will be ok and

on a whole it was a productive few days.

Anyway here are a few pictures to show some of the process.

100_0965.jpg

The drivers side after guidecoat

100_0966.jpg

100_0971.jpg

Previous paint layers

100_0980.jpg

100_0981.jpg

Rust patches fixed

100_0985.jpg

100_0996.jpg

Primed

100_0998.jpg

100_1005.jpg

100_1006.jpg

100_1015.jpg

The roof (which is mostly ok)

100_1022.jpg

100_1023.jpg

100_1025.jpg

An example of the problem

Gotta rub the primer anyway mate! :D

I do intentionally do that sometimes - Make primer run, atleast you know you've got enough on to fill any little holes!!! :(

Unfortunately thats top coat. :( And it is due to the paint reacting, not runs from a heavy coat of paint.

We did rub the primer back as part of the process, and to fill some of the tiny holes we used a light coat of high-fill.

(This can be seen as the yellow in the shot where the drivers side is rubbed back)

Ahhhhhh well, shit happens.

Cheers mate,

The spare wheel well was fine, we just fiberglassed it up.

I need to ring up the paint shop though at some stage, to find out about fixing this reaction.

I understand that I can cut it back and treat it with and isolator to fix it, but will see.

I will try and put up some more pics of the problem this weekend, as the above one does not

show it that well. The other areas have a different bubbling effect rather than the 'run' like effect shown

on that 1/4.

well done dougal things are happening nicely, pity your having some drama's with the paint application though. your doing a hell of alot more than i was ever gonna with the car though, so good goin :dance:.

can't wait to see it once its all painted up.

well done dougal things are happening nicely, pity your having some drama's with the paint application though. your doing a hell of alot more than i was ever gonna with the car though, so good goin :yes:.

can't wait to see it once its all painted up.

Thanks sim,

I am aiming to get a fair bit done when exams finish (November 13 :dance: )

Your doing a great job mate, pitty about the paint reaction though.

As you said it looks like a silicon reaction. The only thing i can suggest is make sure you use wax and grease remover before you painted but a bit late now. Another idea is get silicon drops. You only need about 3 drops in 4 liters of paint. Just check it is ok to use with the car paint you are using.

Your doing a great job mate, pitty about the paint reaction though.

As you said it looks like a silicon reaction. The only thing i can suggest is make sure you use wax and grease remover before you painted but a bit late now. Another idea is get silicon drops. You only need about 3 drops in 4 liters of paint. Just check it is ok to use with the car paint you are using.

Thanks for the kind comments and advice johno.

We used wax and grease remover before application of primer and topcoat. The primer went on ok but

the topcoat did not (as you can see).

Thanks for the tip off on the silicone drops, I will look into those.

In a little while I will fix up the gaurd and bootlid then I will cut back the problem areas and treat them.

Unfortunately it wont be together for my 18th, but hey thats cars ! They always seem to take longer

than you think and there is often a problem rearing its head.

(All the more rewarding when finished)

I am also fairly broke right now (learning what money pits cars can be) so that limits progress a bit as well.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys,

Yes I admit it has been a while. I finished exams on the 13th of November and so started rubbing back the car again.

Over the last few weeks I have had a lot on, and so not much else has happend since then. (I got back from schoolies today).

In the next few weeks I aim to block it all back and get it straight, then will spray it all again. (I now have silicone drops)

I would have liked to have progressed more recently, but unfortunately I have needed to work a fair bit to pay for it all.

I imagine the next few weeks will also be similar.

I would like to have the car regd by xmas but I think the new year is more realistic.

I require some parts to get it all done so don't hesitate to contact me.(see wanted thread below)