Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

Mate just read whole thread and just wanna say good on ya for giving it ago!

Looking good!

Thanks man.

How plans change ! Originally I bought the car purely wanting to build a hot 5k and drive it. Then once I found this particular car

I decided to touch up a few areas and register it straight away. Sure enough it got out of hand and turned into just about a full respray.

I have decided to finish the doors off and a few more bits than originally intended, but wont spend much more time getting it straight.

(Once someone opens a door into it all my work will be undone). It is not pefect but is a fair bit better than when I got it (and I spose I can't

expect my first project to be spot on).

I am reasonably happy with how things have turned out and have learnt heaps in the process.

Hopefully when I am done I will have a quite tidy little daily out of it.

I can't wait till my exams are done in the next month or so, ans then I can get stuck into it and get the $ to register it.

• 1 month later...
Members dont see this ad

Well holidays are here.

I have done a bit recently and took the car to my rover crew's gararge today so I can progress a bit next week.

Have been doing much of the same and started on treating the rust inside the doors.

I hope to prime both rear 1/4s and doors this week, and baremetal the frames and prime them. I also hope to do the door jams and

work on the gaurds that a mate welded for me today.

Pics;

100_1765.jpg

100_1767.jpg

100_1764.jpg

100_1762.jpg

100_1760.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1772.jpg

100_1773.jpg

100_1756.jpg

100_1757.jpg

Ahh so good to see an update mate. I didn't realise you had so much rust in the guards. So good to see you're doing it properly and actually doing it yourself. Top effort!

Keep pushing along as it's going to come up awesome.

Thanks mate, neither did I lol !

Got stuck into it again today, and ended up with the drivers side primed. Had a few issues with setting up the gun and

was using a worse compressor, so had some teething problems on the passenger side. Should be easily redone tomorrow.

Well here is a bit more progress.

I am fairly happy because I feel like I am getting somewhere, but the list still feels very long.

It does not help that I keep seeing bits and being like "ohh I had better do that'' but in the end I spose it is a good thing.

Passenger side is primed and I baremetalled the door frames and around the doors, due to crap paint and some rust.

Then I etch primed these areas and applied normal primer.

Passenger side primed;

100_1792.jpg

Door frames before;

100_1786.jpg

100_1794.jpg

100_1798-1.jpg

100_1788.jpg

Baremetal;

100_1799.jpg

100_1802.jpg

Etch primer;

100_1810.jpg

100_1808.jpg

Primed;

100_1818.jpg

100_1816.jpg

Edited by Doogs

Have now stripped and primed the doorjams and rear window cavities.

After further inspection I realised I can reuse the window seals, which I was quite happy to find.

Car will be heading home again on sunday and apart from a few little bits it will just be removeable panels to

go, then I will be ready for topcoat :y:

Before

100_1822.jpg

100_1827.jpg

100_1831.jpg

Sanded

100_1839.jpg

100_1840.jpg

100_1834.jpg

Primed

100_1844.jpg

100_1845.jpg

100_1847.jpg

100_1848.jpg

Nice job Doogs, again it's so good that you keep making progress. It will make for a much better finished product.

Thanks Matt, hopefully it will get there soon.

It's still not perfect but I think it is far as I should go for a daily.

• 4 weeks later...

Recent progress;

I have been working at the gaurds and also the bootlid I bought a little while ago. After further inspection

of my bonnet I decided to bite the bullet and buy another. I knew that the one on the car had a crap front edge and would have to be

replaced in the long run. (If I wanted the front end to look good). The whole front edge was full of bog, and was mostly cracked.

Frustratingly the left gaurd was worse than I expected. When I baremetaled it I found it was full of bog, and looked to have not been

near a hammer and dolly. (Or simply made worse when it was done)

I have also revisted a mates work and we welded the 'se' badge holes on the boot and also used a slide hammer to improve

the panel a bit. I expect this panel should come up pretty well.

I still have a fair bit of guidecoating and re-sanding left on the gaurds, which is tedious and sometimes frustrating work.

I dislike having to redo things, but that comes with learning and little experience.

I do not have the time, money, equipment, or experience to file finish so I have to do the best with what I have. Hopefully with a bit more

time and patience I will beat out what I can, and then skim with filler and obtain a reasonable result.

Sorry about all the pics, but this is a bit of a photo diary as I progress and learn.

Left gaurd before;

100_1857.jpg

Baremetal;

100_1864.jpg

100_1868.jpg

Etch and filler;

100_1875.jpg

100_1881.jpg

Old bonnet;

100_1886.jpg

100_1890.jpg

Donor bonnet;

100_1904.jpg

100_1909.jpg

100_1909.jpg

100_1920.jpg

100_1925.jpg

100_1930.jpg

100_1932.jpg

100_1936.jpg

100_1937.jpg

Edited by Doogs

• 2 weeks later...

Recent progress;

After a few attempts at the front end of the front gaurd, I was still not happy with how it was looking so decide to start again.

I ripped out all the filler and took it to a mates place where we used his oxy to heat up areas and shrink and beat them into shape.

This has acheived some good results and so now this gaurd is not far off.

Area that was heated and beaten;

100_1955.jpg

(Progress pics tomorrow)

The top of the bonnet and bootlid are also now pretty close, with a little more time needed guidecoating and re-assessing, and also some time

with the slide hammer on the centre bodyline of the bonnet.

100_1952.jpg

100_1957.jpg

Hopefully these panels will be ready for topcoat soon. I am now considering using a booth for the topcoating to get a better result.

I will either hire out a booth or use my spraypainter mate's shed. Unfortunately this time of year is not ideal for painting, but

seeing I am close now I will continue (and also my parents want their carport back!).

I have also bought some chassis-black paint so I can clean up the inside of the gaurds and wheel arches, to neated the overall

look and combat more rust.

On the rims front I will be looking at some mazda 13s with a chrome trim ring, for an improvement in looks and handling that suits the car.

Peter Robinson said he will do me a good price so I will get a set soon after I have rego.

wicked progress man!! looking real good.

bonnets are the worst ay! is you skeleton still attached?? cos i founs that with mine being broken off a bit it was quite hard to get it straight even with a huge block.

this time round i reckon i'm gonna do soomething to pin it back up.

might weld it carefully.