Doogs' Ke20 - Lke020

Doogs

wicked progress man!! looking real good.

bonnets are the worst ay! is you skeleton still attached?? cos i founs that with mine being broken off a bit it was quite hard to get it straight even with a huge block.

this time round i reckon i'm gonna do soomething to pin it back up.

might weld it carefully.

I'd recommend against welding the skin to the skeleton The bonnet skin needs to be 'relaxed'. I welded mine and it was a nightmare to get straight. Welding it will pull down certain parts of the skin and your only option will be to add bog to get rid of the ripple. The proper way is to add sikaflex (comes in a caulking tube) which can be painted over.

Members dont see this ad

Thanks guys, I plan on carefully tacking nails to the top and pulling them. Will see what my mate thinks.

I'd recommend against welding the skin to the skeleton The bonnet skin needs to be 'relaxed'. I welded mine and it was a nightmare to get straight. Welding it will pull down certain parts of the skin and your only option will be to add bog to get rid of the ripple. The proper way is to add sikaflex (comes in a caulking tube) which can be painted over.

That makes sense, there is still some present on the back of my donor bonnet.

Will get up some more pics tomorrow.

I am far happier with the right gaurd now, and there is not much more to do on it.

100_1959.jpg

100_1960.jpg

The left gaurd still has a few spots I am unhappy with, so will need some attention in a few places.

100_1963.jpg

The bootlid is close to done, but will need a few spots looked at. With any luck these panels will be finished in the next

few weeks, and then my mate can cast his eye over the car and point out what needs doing before topcoat.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, have been progressing a little recently but finding time and good weather has been a problem.

I have been doing much of the same type of work trying to get things straight. The bootlid is pretty good now the right gaurd not too far away.

Recently I have been told by a doctor to stop driving so the pressure is off me in that sense to get it on the road

in the short term. (This news is hard to grapple with and infuriates me no end). So I am choosing to be patient and I will

keep plugging away at getting things straight before I get around to topcoat in a bid to end up with a tidyer result.

Exams are almost upon me once more, so I aim to do little bits here and there and hopefully I will be finishing the paint and panel off late november, and getting it on the road.

Going to a few Torana events with mates has also been a motivation to get the panels to a good standard, after both seeing some nice builds and observing some visible faults in panels.

I plan on getting it registered before xmas and will rack some ks up over summer with a standard driveline to start with. Due to cashflow problems I will be unable to jump straight into a 5k build, so plan on starting off with getting it to handle properly. From there I am musing about hotting up the 3k a little so I can have a bit more grunt while I am saving. I then aim on building a 5k in my midyear break next June.

Of course a 4age or similar would murder a 5k, but I still have the P restrictions to keep in mind. (There is also something cool about a warm period engine).

The current laws mean that a simple task such as bolting on a set of extractors is illegal, so obviously engineering a 4age conversion

is out of the question. This further convinces me to go for the 5k and try and behave myself, which with any luck will keep me out of trouble with the boys in blue.

Won't put any pics up for a little while as not much has changed visibly on these panels apart from application of a bit of primer.

B-rad I sure am a member of Tarlow, and was competing with the rest of the crew at mudbash this year. ;)

Are you connected to rovers at all ?

• 1 month later...

Hey Doogs, I just read your thread from go to whoa and I must say I'm impressed. You have had to deal with some major rust problems there, in addition to some pretty ordinary previous bog jobs, and the way you have persisted is heartening. I hope my 14yo grandson Josh shows the same persistence with his Rolla, and so far he has. He's making this old fart pretty proud. So far I've only progressed as far as picking up most of the parts needed for my own project, but I hope to start on the bodywork soon. I'm still chasing a bonnet and apron, but seeing the progress you've made has given me the motivation to maybe straighten out what I have. Fortunately there is no penetrating rust anywhere on my KE10, so I don't have my work cut out the way you have. I can reupholster the seats and inside myself so that will save me a dollar or two.

Keep up the good work, and forget just doing your car up as just a 'daily'. Make it into a showpiece too.

All the best.

Hey Doogs, I just read your thread from go to whoa and I must say I'm impressed. You have had to deal with some major rust problems there, in addition to some pretty ordinary previous bog jobs, and the way you have persisted is heartening. I hope my 14yo grandson Josh shows the same persistence with his Rolla, and so far he has. He's making this old fart pretty proud. So far I've only progressed as far as picking up most of the parts needed for my own project, but I hope to start on the bodywork soon. I'm still chasing a bonnet and apron, but seeing the progress you've made has given me the motivation to maybe straighten out what I have. Fortunately there is no penetrating rust anywhere on my KE10, so I don't have my work cut out the way you have. I can reupholster the seats and inside myself so that will save me a dollar or two.

Keep up the good work, and forget just doing your car up as just a 'daily'. Make it into a showpiece too.

All the best.

Thanks for the kind words mate, much appreciated.

I finish exams on the 25th and then plan to get stuck into those panels again. The neurologist has unfortunately extended the driving

ban untill mid January, and it is likely this may extend depending on when I get my operation done.I am trying to use this as a bit of extra motivation to get it looking ship-shape by the time I can drive again.

I have taken out the rear seats and parcel shelf along with the carpet and will clean this all up. Thankfully underneath the carpet there were no hidden nastys and it is just about the best paint on the car.

I have had a few offers from mates to help out on the remaining bodywork so this should make things a bit easier.

I plan on rubbing back the entire shell and guidecoating again, then repair the spots this shows up. My spraypainter mate has said I should get him round and he can write me a to-do list and go from there, but I am reluctant to show it to him in this half repaired state.

With any luck I will be progressing again soon and I can get the exterior looking presentable. From there I will tidyup the interior and make up a few dividers/shelves and the like before overhaulling the car mechanically for roadworthy. When the car is registered I plan to upgrade the suspension and do a cheap warm up of the old 3k while I save to build a 5k. When I do the engine swap I will most likely give the engine bay a freshen-up and neaten up the wiring etc.

Sheesh, you've done everything right so far to turn it into a show car! It will be good to know in the back of your head that

you'll have a VERY clean, straight, rust-free body for quite a long time to come if you do choose to go down that path! :)

What options have you thought about for hotting up the 3K?

Thanks fellas.

Through some tests recently they found I have whats called a "Cavernous Hemangioma". Basically it is a cluster of blood vessels in my brain that have expanded and are slowly bleeding. This has caused little blankouts and is why I am not driving untill they operate or I go for

a certain amount of time incident free. I was actually kinda releived to hear it was this because it is completely treatable, and looks like I don't have epilepsy or similar. Like I said, I want to use this as a chance to increase the standard of the job I do and so will clean a number of areas up a little more.

Now I have practiced a bit on some of these panels I feel a bit more confident at repairing some areas, and so I will most likely re-do some

bits I am not happy with or that contain too much bog for my liking. I have little doubt that I will get a reasonable result, not due to me having skill with panelwork but more due to the perfectionist nature of a few of my mates. If it is looking crap my spraypainter mate will be on my arse for sure, and we wont be going near it with a spraygun lol ! (Thankfully white is a fairly forgiving colour as well)

seabiscuit I will most likely get the head shaved, do a bit of a cleanup of the ports, slap a cam in it and put some extractors on.

The 5k is likely to be a little more serious than this, but fairly mild. The key thing I will be looking for is a good mid-range and reasonable

launches rather than a screaming top end. I want it to be a fun street car with a bit of punch in the useable rev-range.

Anyway, enough talk. I need to "walk the walk" and actually make some progress again.

Will update in a week or so when I start my summer break and begin to get this shell sorted.

Cheers,

Dougal

Edited by Doogs

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, here is a bit of an update.

My front seats and door trims have been at the trimmers now for a few weeks and I expect them back soon.

We are using a vinyl that is as close to the original shade as we could find, and hopefully it will suit the style nicely. The seat frames are badly broken internally and also quite twisted, so there was a fair bit of work there before he even gets near them with fresh vinyl. The door trims were also a little worn and somewhat waterlogged so I am getting two fresh cards made. I have also requested that he bolster up the sides a bit so they have a bit more lateral retention (more like a sports/race seat). I am looking forward to having them returned soon, becuase I have been impressed with some of his previous work.

Before;

100_2159.jpg

100_2161.jpg

100_2162.jpg

100_2167.jpg

100_2166.jpg

100_2164.jpg

Thankfully pulling out the carpet and rear seats did not reveal any nasty suprises. All I found was a dirty old comb and some saftey glass shards lol. The seats and carpet are now stored away and the carpet will get a good clean before re-installation.

100_2169.jpg

100_2171.jpg

Edited by Doogs

Today I spent more time working on small areas on the doors and then tore out a large amount of bog from a previous accident.

Whilst I am learning on this car and honing my skills I have been suprised and frustrated at what some people call a "professional" job.

Unfortunately these pictures do not really show the pits, but I reckon there was about half a small tin there !

I plan on borrowing a mates welder and spending time getting it a bit better with a slide hammer before any bog goes near it.

100_2411.jpg

100_2414.jpg

100_2415.jpg

Cheers,

Dougal

Lookin good dougal! Just went through this whole build. Awesome to see that you're learning by doing things yourself. That's how what I've been doing and the skills that you learn will help you build some awesome motor cars :lolcry:. Nice progress!

Thanks mate, that's the plan !

I have definitely learnt a heap in the process and will do things a little differently next time. I think planning ahead is really important as well and being very patient, you really can't rush things. I constantly get smartarse comments from neighbours regarding when it will be finished etc, but I hope that when I get there the results will speak for themselves. When I next respray a car I will completely strip it to begin with and most likely start from baremetal. Then you really know what you are dealing with and can start from a fresh base, hopefully this also keeps the rust away for a little longer.

The weather looks great for this week so hopefully it will be a big week of progress ;)

Cheers,

Doogs