Ae92 Sx Seca Drama

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what have you got! haha. Now that is priceless. I come to a corolla site to find out about her car and end up finding more for mine!

I'm chasing some LC parts at the moment, to fix the blue GTR (lower right in those photos) i could do with a whole 4 door or something like that, preferably cheap, can have the ass end stuffed, i need the front! haha.

1) I'm told the 4AGE 16V motors are notorius for drinking oil.

I've heard the same thing about the 4age's. So i made up catch can not long after i had the motor rebuilt and at least every 3-4 months drained about half a cup from the catch can.

If you do decide to rebuild the thing - do the keyway as well (new key, new crank bolt etc etc) cause it can tend to be a problem spot from time to time, as i found out and was later told it can be a weak spot.

But meh i'm over the whole 4age thing.

The dizzy can be a real bitch to fit back in and get timed properly if you've pulled it out. In and out, in and out, bit like sex really, in and out, can even try it from different positions, in and out

Loved the car (ae82 seca twincam), loved the sound (even got good comments from the v8 boys), hated the motor but....

what have you got! haha. Now that is priceless. I come to a corolla site to find out about her car and end up finding more for mine!

I'm chasing some LC parts at the moment, to fix the blue GTR (lower right in those photos) i could do with a whole 4 door or something like that, preferably cheap, can have the ass end stuffed, i need the front! haha.

Dunno dude, My brother has a few lj/lc spares, He just sold a 2 door and 4 door in not bad condition, I shall ask him what he has left.

Dunno dude, My brother has a few lj/lc spares, He just sold a 2 door and 4 door in not bad condition, I shall ask him what he has left.

Thatd be great. Thanks mate.

Well ive bought another 2 bottles of 40/70 to keep her topped up for now.

I'm going to finish off the sprint car, the GTR resto and put the blower on my torana before i go back to her corolla!

Although i do have a 2000 model seca in my back yard that needs a new front clip, so it will sneak in there somewhere too.

thanks guys.

I have the same sx seca and when i bought it, it already had an engine change about3 months b4 and it runs fine atm. The only problem i hav is that since i had an oil change it spit out quite a bit of white smoke in the morning sometimes until the engine is warmed up. I'm not sure if its the oil or that i've been using E10 petrol for the last couple of months. Please Help. Cheers.

Thats oil mate. this one does the same thing.

Talked to an engine builder mate today.

Supposedly from his experience the 4AGE motors have bee's dick, sized rings and they sludge up very easily.

Also they wear valve stem seals relatively quick.

So the head will come off, and we can re-ring the thing still in the car.

• 3 weeks later...

i have an sx seca mines done 250.000kms . i drive it like an animal everyday, i service it every 5000kms i find mine blows some smoke when it first starts..uses maybe a litre of oil between changes. but goes black almost instantly. i put penrite HPR 30 in it.

• 3 months later...

Well the thing finally croaked.

Getting on the F3 (freeway) a few weeks ago, 4k rpm in 4th gear up a slight hill, nothing major, but was definitely loading the engine up, and then a big change in engine note and drop in power.

Was thinking that I was going to find a hole in a piston, but thank f@$k, found two exhaust valves that resembled semi circles....

Pulled the lot down one saturday. Oil rings on the pistons were pretty forked, had chrome rings for primaries so its all STD in there.

Found a nice suprise.

oil squirters at the base of bores, I didnt read a WHOLE lot on 4AGEs before, but i didnt think I would find them in there.

Everything else seemed pretty good, a few flakey sections under the cam covers, no sludge though, which is good.

As it sits now-

Head has been fully recoed, cams have been checked for wear and any shim changes, new set of exhaust valves, new rings and bearings are on the way, block will get a light hone (in car)

I might still port match the inlet to the head as there is a pretty big difference, but at this stage, I'm just looking to get it back on the road.

Any other suggestions/comments?

Edited by orangeLJ

turns out the engine in the car is not the original.....

tried to order a section of coolant piping (runs underneath the inlet manifold) from toyota, BUT they say the VIN doesnt match that part.

So we gave them the engine number and they are coming back to us with where the engine came from (ie what model it is)

So what models ran oil squirters?

tried to order a section of coolant piping (runs underneath the inlet manifold) from toyota, BUT they say the VIN doesnt match that part.

So we gave them the engine number and they are coming back to us with where the engine came from (ie what model it is)

don't worry too much about what toyota tell you in regards to coolant hoses. Try you local auto shop.

I brought down every single coolant hose from my ae82 to them and said i want these. They couldnt help me. WTF!!!

sounds like toyota all over :P

all smallports from 89 onwards have the oil squirters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4AGE#4A-G_.2816-valve.29 << if you have time have of a read