Fuel Economy Is Crap.

Members dont see this ad

OK...

What are you driving, and when was it last tuned?

For a rolla to be using that much juice, it must be in very bad shape.

My 85 ran about that bad after I'd thrashed it for a year without getting it tuned (not to mention the 3 cracks in the head).

It didn't matter how sedate I drove, the damage was already done.

It's a 2003 1.8, 5 door conquest hatch. Bought from dealer, its got 30,000km on clock. (have service record to prove).

Last service was 200km ago. Could it be stale fuel the dealer used to fill? The dealer was no small fry either. The biggest one

in Frankstone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I am getting like 8km/l driving like my grandma. Thats worse than my much heavier tuscon! (returned 10km/l, and I thrashed it) I bought this thing to save money on juice.

Corolla's are shit. Gonna trade.

thrash it you probs get 9-10L, so hyundai ftw!!

i get 12l/100km in my hilux, and thats keeping it under 3k rpm. but thats lugging all my tools (and usually a few odd car parts) around.

i haven't calculated the ke20's fuel economy since the turbo has been put on, although i reckon its a better tune than before so it will probably be better on fuel on average.

Edited by Jono

I used to get 180/220kms out of a 50lt tank in my ae82 4age, don't forget that you have a computerised car that needs to get used to being driven again with the a/c and stuff running. Just fill it with the appropriate fuel, drive the car normal like coz if you go to grandpa you will use more fuel than just driving it.

• 1 month later...
My ZZE122 (exactly like your's) does around 55Xkm-600km per tank. So, whats that work out to......................?

About 10kms/L and better only a 55L in them,

For starters are you using that ethanol crap, cause i did test 2 months after getting my zze122r ascent sedan, results were

E10 fuel = SHIT about 500kms to the tank

95ron petrol = good about 600kms to tank and about 650kms on highway

98ron premium = Excellent 650kms around town and about 700kms highway

note each time i drove for a week on that fuel to make sure it was 99% style of fuel in tank, before filling up and testing

haven't checked her lately, just got a 2 1/4 from Cat back with Resonator and sports style muffler (Cannons are for show offs), and home made Cold air induction system. I got tired of being told could fit 1 to her, lol noobs they are these mod shops!!!

But am going to do highway test again, might see how far i can get from Bris to Sydney.

when i have some pics i will post them, wait scrap that just look at a stock rolla, looks the same, but wait till i pass you on road you will tell the difference!!!!!!

• 2 months later...

man i am the same way but i got a 2zz-ge motor and i am willing to make the compromise between performance and economy.

and you have to realize if you shift smooth and control how you tramp it you will get a lot more bang for your buck.

Ive thrashed my rolla this weekend and i still managed to get 320km 330km and its still above half on the fuel Gage.

and yes it also has been moded so its not like its still standard.

• 3 years later...
E10 fuel = SHIT about 500kms to the tank

95ron petrol = good about 600kms to tank and about 650kms on highway

98ron premium = Excellent 650kms around town and about 700kms highway

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, buttt... this is very useful info. As an automotive noob, I've always had this misconception that high octane fuel was too expensive to bother with, and only really used by people who are a bit precious about their car/s. But judging by this info and the fuel prices where I live, 98 octane is actually the most economical at about 14c/km and regular ULP least economical at 18c/km. Saving money and saving my car by using better fuel - awesome :) Edited by n3xia

• 3 months later...

I know I'm digging up an old thread here, buttt... this is very useful info. As an automotive noob, I've always had this misconception that high octane fuel was too expensive to bother with, and only really used by people who are a bit precious about their car/s. But judging by this info and the fuel prices where I live, 98 octane is actually the most economical at about 14c/km and regular ULP least economical at 18c/km. Saving money and saving my car by using better fuel - awesome smile.gif

To clarify, it will depend on the car you're driving.

If your driving an EFI car that's been tuned for 91 ron, using 98 ron will make almost no difference to economy. It'll burn cleaner and all that crap but it won't make more power, and it won't be more economical, because the ECU doesn't know what to do with the extra octane. There is a common misconception that the ECU can "learn" to use the fuel you use, which is crap - the fuel maps are pre-defined and is the reason if your car is tuned for premium you shouldn't run it on regular unleaded.

As well, ethanol has a higher octane but you need more ethanol in a single combustion than you do petrol, so while you get more power from it you will use more. If you tried back to back E10 with plain old 91 (if you can find it anywhere) you'll find the regular stuff more economical.