Fours Vs. Sixes Vs. Eights Racing Challenge

ancullen

post-397-1210723186_thumb.jpg

Excuse the black-and-whitedness. :D

As you should all know, another Streetcar Challenge has been organised, this one is for 8 June. Where the previous event was WRX vs. Evo vs. Other, this one will be Fours vs. Sixes vs. Eights (possibly vs. Rotaries if any enter). I will be there in the GT-Four in the hopes of doing a sub-1:30 lap time. I'm hoping a few of you will enter too, as it's a very cheap way to go racing ($5 more than lapsprinting, $15 less than Streetcar Shootout). For $25 you get to do about four races, with (I think) three laps per race. The winning team will be presented with trophies. Points will be awarded for each team members quickest lap, with each team's points added up to see who is quickest - fours, sixes, or eights.

Lets get some RollaClub members out there to represent both the club, and four cylinder cars in generally. I want to hand some V8 and six cylinder drivers their arses on a plate. :poke:

Who's in?

ENTRIES TO DATE:

Adam - GT-Four

Shane - AW11

Stephen - AE82

Meg - ZZE123 (if gearbox issues can be resolved in time)

Members dont see this ad

I want to race James Pocock. He and I are both hoping to go sub-1:30 at this event. I am very confident I'll be able to, not sure about if he's done enough mods to achieve it, though I think he's got more power and bigger brakes than previously.

The minimum age limit is 14 for a CAMS Level 2S licence (which is what's required for this event). So if you're driving on P plates, it's not an issue. In fact, you don't need a road licence, just a CAMS Level 2S. They cost about $46 for a day licence, or $80 (I think) for a year.

HOWEVER, I would strongly recommend that if you don't have a 'performance' car, you start out with just the lapsprints. This Streetcar Challenge, whilst open to new competitors, is more suited to higher performance vehicles. Lapsprints are conducted with the expectation that cars will be slower, and with beginners only. As an example, I have taken the Starlet in the lapsprints, getting a best time of 1:41. At this pace, I got lapped by the faster cars (which start up front) by the third lap, meaning I only got two hot laps. Now the events are better broken up, with slower/beginner cars in lapsprints, and more experienced faster drivers moving up to the Streetcar Shootout and Streetcar Challenges when they are held.

Sorry to discourage you, but if we get twelve cars on the track in each race, it could get pretty hairy, and a KE70 with a hot 4K won't cut the grade. I suspect my KE55 would be in the noticeably slower end of the field - it would have been in the previous Streetcar Challenge.

That's what I'm saying. But there's no limit on the minimum. You can enter whatever you want, but I'm suggesting it may be a better idea to just go lapsprinting to start with. If you enter the lapsprinting, and are therefore covered by the insurance on your CAMS licence, you can passenger in cars in other events (not full racing though). So you could potentially ask someone really nicely if you could learn the track by going around in their car as a passenger, then attempting to do the same in your own car in the lapsprints.