Engine Conversions In Victoria

Sheqel

Hey peoples,

I've been looking around for a while, searching through threads, Google, and even VicRoads website, and I really can't find a lot of information.

Someone told me that you can no longer register an early Corolla (pre-KE55) with a rotary engine. But I'm having trouble finding actual information on this.

Can anyone spread some (credible) light on this? Is there any reason why I couldn't put a 10A, 12A, or 13B into a KE30?

Peace,

Ben

Edit: AND register the car with a engineers slip...

Edited by Sheqel

Members dont see this ad

Rotaries in KE30 2 Door

12A = Legal (Naturally Aspirated)

13B = Illegal

Apparently some strict new Vicroads laws came into effect midway through last year, limiting the power upgrade % when performing an engine conversion.

Apart from that, I believe the corolla is too light on the power to weight scale as well.

Engine capacity has a great deal to do with it as well.

12a = 1.2L x 2 = 2.4L

13b = 1.3L x 2 = 2.6L

When i had my first appointment, I took in numerous pages of specifications for both the corolla, the rx7 donor car and the 13b (the engine i was aiming for) and the 12a as a backup.

The specs i used for the corolla were power figures from overseas models, so the power figures were highly exaggerated compared to real life in Australia. So it made the rotaries standard power figures seem like it was not such a huge improvement.

Try a few engineers from the VASS list. Maybe one will give it the go ahead for a 13b. Just make sure you make an appointment and get it all in writing with the full list of specifications. It would suck to do the conversion, only to have the engineer deny any claim that he would pass it.

One of the first fabricators i spoke to mentioned maybe fabricating a full chassis as a means to get the 13b engineered. That would need to be discussed in detail though, as it still doesnt change the power to weight ratio.

Edited by kangaroosa

There are so many early model cars out there with rota conversions already though registered and everything.

Some of them got through before things became really strict but there must be people, engineers, around who will still do it.

Pity none of them live/work near me. Ive only heard No's from everyone I've asked :P