Engine Not Turning Over (ke25)

Jarsky

Members dont see this ad

haha I like the way you think :hmm:

I wish though....

Just bought an r32 gts-4 coupe to drive around.

my rx7 still needs a clutch replacement (NZ$2800ish for parts)

unfortunately don't have the funds to do a rotary conversion in the KE25 right now :yes:

well I have been meaning to look at the car but have been soooo tied up organising rides to/from work and getting stuff sorted for this party tonight, but have had the car jacked up in the garage and checked out the wiring all seems to be OK, given the battery a charge off the inverter and that seems to be fine, the starter solonoid is still clicking, but I will check that out, the only other thing if its the starter could be that ive killed the starter motor somehow....can pick one up 2nd hand for about $20-30 in NZ so I might try that...if that doesnt work then ill look into the motor :dance:

Haev you pulled the starter out? Before you spend money I would be whipping it out and seeing what you can find - it really sounds like the starter is cactus and its seized in the "start" position - ie the teeth on the starter are meshed with the teeth on your flywheel, is jammed up, and thats why you are getting locked wheels.

Pull your starter out and have a look. Then you will know what you are chasing.

Haev you pulled the starter out? Before you spend money I would be whipping it out and seeing what you can find - it really sounds like the starter is cactus and its seized in the "start" position - ie the teeth on the starter are meshed with the teeth on your flywheel, is jammed up, and thats why you are getting locked wheels.

Pull your starter out and have a look. Then you will know what you are chasing.

i 2nd that :dance:

well yesterday i pulled the plugs out and tried cranking the engine manually and it seemed to be turning. i've since bought a 2nd hand starter for $40 (incl shipping), so in the mean time i will pull this starter motor out and see what i can find...unfortunately last night i DID leave some lights on and the battery is completely dead lol - but at least if the starter motor is completely s*rewed then I have a replacement already on the way :dance:

in the mean time i bought a skyline to drive around while i figure out what's wrong with this corolla so not in a rush...though the garage is looking kind of full haha.

97 rx7 coupe

71 ke25 coupe

90 r32 gts-4 coupe

my accounts arent liking me right now!

when you pulled the plugs and turned it over and it turned over fine, why didnt you then try and turn it over on the starter?

if it had turned over, coulda put plugs back in and seen what happened...

did you get any water out of hte plug holes?

cheers, andrew

mean't I could turn the crank ok with the plugs out, I didnt really want it to ignite while I'm turning it by hand, with the propeller in the way...lol

nope the plugs were completely clean apart from a little bit of oil (they were only replaced about 3 months ago), wasn't any water in there.

I have to go out tonight but I will try and get the starter motor off tomorrow if I get a chance - looks like a pain in the ass where it is under the exhaust headers argh!

mate, if the motor turned over by hand, theres no reason it should be locking the wheels when you try roll start it.

pull the plugs and leads off, and disconnect the coil to stop spark if your worried about a few pesky thousand volts tickling round your engine bay (i always just let it spark wherever, even when i was running gas, the lead end caps tend to stop the spark getting away)

anyways, as i was saying, pull the plugs, and try turn it over using the starter motor, see if it turns over.

it should.

if it doesnt, your starter is smegged.

if it doesnt, try roll starting it with the plugs out and see if it turns the motor over, if it does, put the plugs in and try again.

it makes no sense that the car would lock the tyres on a rollstart when the motor winds over by hand with the plugs out.

unless you ahve reallly really shit tyres?

cheers, andrew