Diesel Turbo Sizing For Petrol Engines???

Hi there, I'm still weighing up the pro's and con's of turboing, vs supercharging, but I'm really not wanting to hear anymore about that...

What I want to know is this... Can a Turbo from a Diesel engine be used effectively on a Petrol engine?

The theory is as follows...

If a 3L Diesel turbo motor spools it's turbo up at 1000rpm, won't that mean a 1.5L petrol motor can spool it up at somewhere near 2000rpm?

My thinking is that my torquey little 3T should (in theory) spool said turbo at about 1700rpm give or take a few turns...

I met a guy who's sons had taken a turbo off a 10L Cummins Tractor, and bolted it to their 308 holden V8... apparently it spools on the tractor at 1500rpm, but gave the boys in their kingswood a fair kick in the pants at 3000 rpm...

What's your thoughts on the possibilities of this working, how much boost a diesel turbo setup could theoretically run (anyone with experience with turbo diesels, do you know what boost they can hold?) and any general thoughts from the masses...

Thanks.

Members dont see this ad

Good site Jason! :yes:

Yeah your theory will work, like Irokin said though it'll be a matter of when it runs out of puff.

I helped a guy down here with a 3lt deisel patrol turbo (IIRC) on a datsun A12 petrol motor......

100_1562.jpg

Lot of work has been done on that engine bay since btw. IE rubber hose turbo piping. :no2:

Good site Jason! :yes:

Yeah your theory will work, like Irokin said though it'll be a matter of when it runs out of puff.

I helped a guy down here with a 3lt deisel patrol turbo (IIRC) on a datsun A12 petrol motor......

Lot of work has been done on that engine bay since btw. IE rubber hose turbo piping. :no2:

Thanks for the pic Taz. I guess working out when the turbo would run out of puff would be similar to when it would come on boost??? I'm figuring a turbo off a 3L, stuck on my 1.8L should start winding down at about 5000??? sound about right to anyone?

My opinion is don't do it!

Turbo sizing is an art.

to start with the ratio between exhaust housing size is very wrong,

On a diesel you will often find a rear housing that is suitable for a 3lt petrol matched to a compressor suitable for a 1.8 petrol.

Have you heard of a hi-flow, this is the opposite.

You are also forgetting that small things like the external and internal size of the compressor wheel inside the same

scroll size can change spool time by even 1000rpm.

Basically if you were to use a diesel turbo on your 3t, the setup will be laggier, and make less power overall than the $100 you could have spent on a cheap petrol turbo.

I know its been done 100 times and works fine every time, but 'what could have been' in almost every case is not realized

that my 2cents antways :yes:

I would have thought diesel turbos would have to spool nice and quick, as they only have a limited rev range... Either way, thanks for everyone's imput...

Stuff it, I'll get a supercharger... All this turbo spool, lag thing is a bit much for me. I like the 'if it turns this many times, it moves this much air' theory of a supercharger.

That i can deal with. Thanks for entertaining the idea with me guys.

I would have thought diesel turbos would have to spool nice and quick, as they only have a limited rev range... Either way, thanks for everyone's imput...

Stuff it, I'll get a supercharger... All this turbo spool, lag thing is a bit much for me. I like the 'if it turns this many times, it moves this much air' theory of a supercharger.

That i can deal with. Thanks for entertaining the idea with me guys.

i ran a diesel turbo off a 3lt landrover on my stock 3t, it ran 10psi most of the time and reved to 8000RPM