"jesus" Is Loud

machg

My T18 donor car "jesus" is quite whiny in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears under load, but the noise dissappears in 4th and 5th, and also when backing off in 1, 2 and 3. Is this common? terminal? easily fixable? likely to cause a catastrophic failure any second? My best guess is a worn bearing in the gearbox. I have a spare box, so I'm not too concerned.

Members dont see this ad
My T18 donor car "jesus" is quite whiny in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears under load, but the noise dissappears in 4th and 5th, and also when backing off in 1, 2 and 3. Is this common? terminal? easily fixable? likely to cause a catastrophic failure any second? My best guess is a worn bearing in the gearbox. I have a spare box, so I'm not too concerned.

I know nothing specifically about the toyota boxes apart from supra w58'S... (RUNS NICE BEHIND MY 5l V8 HOLDEN... ;) )

The whine you are hearing is the bearings being preloaded etc. This is removed when you shift to 4th and 5th because 4th locks the top gears to the shaft and 5th drives off 4th. this is generally normal for a high mileage box. I would rebuild it sooner rather than later as it is always easier to fix a mech item if it is not broken as it is more cost effective and not so messy... ;)

Cheers

I know nothing specifically about the toyota boxes apart from supra w58'S... (RUNS NICE BEHIND MY 5l V8 HOLDEN... ;) )

The whine you are hearing is the bearings being preloaded etc. This is removed when you shift to 4th and 5th because 4th locks the top gears to the shaft and 5th drives off 4th. this is generally normal for a high mileage box. I would rebuild it sooner rather than later as it is always easier to fix a mech item if it is not broken as it is more cost effective and not so messy... ;)

Cheers

Thanks, I might swap boxes to be on the safe side.

Cheers