3t Or 2t?

hi all,

I'm going to stick an engine in an old corolla this weekend

i have the choice of either a 2T or 3T engine , both stock

both sitting on my garage floor ready to go

which one should i use?

i know the first thought of all concerned will be that 3T = 1770cc therefore must be better

but i have heard a lot of people say that the 3T is a bucket of ass

with the 3K and 4K the smaller 1200 made more gross hp from toyota specs

possibly because although the 4K was 1300 the emmissions controls killed it?

egr, air injection, lower compression, conservative cam timing or a combination of the above for instance?

looking for real world advice, who reckons the 2T would be the go? why? who reckons the 3T would be the go? why?

Members dont see this ad

My 3tc with a weber and extractors goes quite well for its age and has plenty of midrange torque. I'd go with the 3t but i have only driven a car with a 2t once and it was shit from neglect. My 3tc would do a stand still skid in 2nd but thats flogging the ring out of it.

Edited by AE70

As someone who has had both the 2T and the 3T in a KE30, I would say its hard to decide on which motor to go with.

I found the 2T quite a rev happy motor and whilst it didn't make as much power as the 3T due to age and displacement, I was more than happy with its performance.

The 3T from what I found was quite torquey but that may have played a part in the fact a KE30 is quite light for a 1800cc motor. But I will say unlike a 2T it pulled like a steam train, and when you ran out of legs it was easy to shift it up a gear and re-apply the go fast pedal. One other thing is that it didn't like to swing out past 6000Rpm as opposed to the 2T but with they extra displacement there was no need.

Both motors were used in the same KE30 shell, one motor after the other. The 2T was on it's last legs with massive air leaks and damaged rings from the time I installed it, The 3T was a recently rebuilt motor, which was also standard. Both motors where run with 2T exhaust manifold with the twin plane secondaries from the TA22 (re drilling of the exhaust manifold was required to fit the 3T), and a standard KE30 1.5 inch exhaust, with both standard resonator and muffler in place.

also had both, personally id check over each motor and use the one in better condition.

with the 2t at 1588cc and the 3t at 1770cc its not a lot of difference in capacity,

just the stroker crank in the 3t makes more torque / less revs and the 2t is more

revs / less torque.

3t would be a starting base for performance and are a super modified motor in the US,

with loads of cheap performance parts eg: toyota3tc.com, brdracing.com

2t used to be more common but now is quite old so they are probably the same for

local parts and avaliability.

also had both, personally id check over each motor and use the one in better condition.

with the 2t at 1588cc and the 3t at 1770cc its not a lot of difference in capacity,

just the stroker crank in the 3t makes more torque / less revs and the 2t is more

revs / less torque.

3t would be a starting base for performance and are a super modified motor in the US,

with loads of cheap performance parts eg: toyota3tc.com, brdracing.com

2t used to be more common but now is quite old so they are probably the same for

local parts and avaliability.

it's just for a go-between while i pull the 1940cc engine out to tidy up a few anal things

just for moving the car around, budget to play with it is pretty much 0

• 2 months later...

have you ever thought about cross breeding the 2tc head with the 3tc block? this combination are widely used here in USA for performance due to better compression. if your going DIE HARD 2tc/3tc motors... check out this web site BRDRACING.COM . lots of parts available to beef up your needs out of those motors. i had a 13t "hemi" motor before, its another breed of the rare TC toyota motor family... those kicks a$$ :bash:

• 2 months later...

2tc's are the 1.6 lt and the 3tc is the 1.8 3tc's go considerably well with extractors and a webber i used to hav a 3tc in my celica after i dropped a valve in my 2tg head which is getting repaired now

i hav never had a problem with a 2tg if you can try get a 3t block to accept a 2tg head i tried it but failed beacuse it bent the valves in the head :jamie:

good ol' yota motors :|

i hav never had a problem with a 2tg if you can try get a 3t block to accept a 2tg head i tried it but failed beacuse it bent the valves in the head :|

You = fail. 3TG hybrids have been done many times with success. There's a fair bit of work in them though (converting the 3T block to run OHC instead of pushrods), but there's lots of info out there for that.

You = fail. 3TG hybrids have been done many times with success. There's a fair bit of work in them though (converting the 3T block to run OHC instead of pushrods), but there's lots of info out there for that.

The block was empty and ready for a 3t hybrid but couldnt get valve clearence when we put the head together because i couldnt afford forged pistons.

I know they have been done before because my mate that was helpin me used to have one in his old celica

• 7 months later...

I'm just about finished building my 3tg. iv used a 3tc crank & block - with 60 thou new pistons I got them flycut at chris milton engines in adelaide.

the only other thing u have to do is swap the dummy cam form the 2tg and spin the unused cam bearings 180 out so the oil feed is blocked

• 3 months later...

I'm running a 1750 2T in my ke35 with 18rg pistons, lightened flywheel, pulleys, 45/75 cam. ported and polished head,

and that absolutly kills my mates 3T in his ke55 coupe.

personally i rather 2T's seeing as they rev alot harder with a little bit of work go alot better then a 3T,