4k-c Turbo?

KE70MAN

hey guys,

kinda don't have the money for a 4age conversion, but i was thinking about putting a turbo on the stock 4k-c motor.

turbo would not be bigger than a T25g so boost wil be max of 10-15psi, but i wont have intercooler so like more around 5-7psi. has anyone done or know somebody that has done this?

also i was thinking to myself, cus the intake and exhaust manifold are on the same side, the turbo would have to sit a little low. is there anyway or any brand of side draught carbies i can get so i can sit the turbo a little higher?

another thing that came to my mind was that maybe the 20 yr old engine can't handle a bit of boost, like head gasket might blow? I'm not sure

please feel free to tell me what wil go rong etc..

oooo also plz tel me how much u think it wil cost, if i do most of the work

p.s. i can pick up a cheap turbo..

cheerz

carl

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Turbo 4K setup have been done. But for the cost/power ratio i don't think its worth it.

you wont be running side draught carbies on a turbo setup unless you have lots of money to spend, Blow through can be done with a set of webbers etc, but tunning and setup takes alot of work.

Id go a small turbo, suck through setup with a 1.75 SU carb, The carby is directly fitted to the inlet of the turbo, the turbo will draw air/fuel through the carb into the turbo and compress it and feed it to the engine, easy way to make a little extra power for a minium cost, You will need to find a turbo witha carbon seal as these can run fuel through them, You cannot run fuel through all turbos. any where from $300-$500

Then there is blow through with a carb, the turbo compresses the air and pushes it through the carb on the manifold to feed the motor, cost more as youll need to mod the carb for boost,higher fuel pressure as youll need to keep fuel pressure ubove the boost level, so 7 psi boost youll need 12+ psi fuel pressure (standard is around 4-6 psi), youll be able to run a intercooler etc with this setup.

$400-$600+

Get a 4K-E/7K-E inlet manifold, Aftermarket ECU etc. Fuel injection is the way to go, The torque you make with this will make a huge diffrence without the turbo. Add the turbo and it will make ok power, But it will cost alot more $700-$1000+

it wont last long either way you do it, problem is the excels will still beat you, so youll up the boost and break the engine.

find a cheap twin cam engine conversion even a 2t-geu or something. I think youll find all the bits for a 2T-GEU that youll need under $1000. I bought a regoed,complete,going car with the conversion for $900

yeah i dunno man i don't actually know much about the whole turboing a 4k-c thing but i'd be inclined not to bother. I just don't think a 4k-c is the right platform for that kind of deal, I'd just put a 3K head on it maybe port and polish if you can, extractors maybe. I don't aspire to do much more than that to my 4k-c, i'm saving the money for something with a bit more potential, but go for your life if you want.

By the way I made a start getting the 3K head out of my ke20. Man rust is a bitch, the bolts are all fused, I've used a fair bit of RP7 but no progress at all yet lol.

But yeah it'd be cool if you did turbo I guess, entertain me! :D

oh ok then

i had chose to try this on the 4kc because i have seen this done on datto engines and i compared them slightly, i thought it may have been able to be done. if not you guys said a 3k head?? wats the price on these? is there much modding needed for it to fit the 4kc? anyonehave one for sale? hehe

well i do try to search this site for threads about this and i can never find one, could sumbody plz post a link i can follow, thanks heaps guys :D

cheerz

Carl

thanks heaps grimwolge.

i have had a good hard think about this and, i don't have the time and money for turbo and/or engine swap. so i think i shall just go for a well built NA 4k. this leads to my next question....

grimwolge you mentioned having or buying "a pair of DCOE40 webers, electric dizzy, 30/70 cam, lightened flywheel, electric dizzy" those figures, are they correct? like does anybody know serial numbers or price guides to do this?

i have found the webber carbys website but its not very helpful. i read somewhere of a person using a 13b rotary cary on a 4k. ?

what price am i looking at if i were to buy the efi settup? can someone tell me or give me a site where i can buy the kit?

cheerz

carl :dance:

you can get an electric distributor recurved as well, they still have advance weights and moving parts inside. this would probably be ideal, as you get bigger spark. i used a points dizzy because i couldn't get an ignitor or HEI to work. doug used a points dizzy because he found a cheap good one at the wreckers one day. performance ign services in vic wouldn't recurve my distributor without rebushing it (to ensure the quality of their work) total bill was $160

a custom aluminium flywheel will set you back around $600, and you'll need to supply a flywheel to have the ring gear removed from. jun make billet alloy flywheels for a 4k, $990 for the 3.7kg version, $1110 for the 3.4kg version, that's through speedworks auto in perth. there's nothing wrong with a lightened flywheel as long as you get someone who knows what they're doing. my 4k lightened flywheel weighs 8kg and cost $80, no idea what a stock one weighs, 3k flywheels are heavier

if you spent 2 grand, well, on an n/a 4K i'd say you could be making at least 130hp (1hp/L). it's all in the cam, valve size and quality of combustion

datsun guys on the net reckon you can push 250bhp out of an A12 with A14 head and T25 turbo running drawthru SU. that's about 135kw at the wheels

for a turbo 4K, i'd be using a smaller cam. maybe a 20-60, maybe even a sprinter spec cam (18-58) or stock (16-50). you'd have to try and see. ideal would be a custom cam by someone who knows what they're doing. there are lots of "rules of thumb" you can apply to turbo cams, most of which differ from person to person, and i suspect most are speculation

for a cheap blowthrough setup, the aisans from a G11R charade bolt straight onto K manifolds. however they're pretty stresssed on a 1L 3cyl, don't expect them to do wonders to your 1.3L 4cyl, or be able to handle alot of boost. however it does work and you can put a blowoff valve on them. PSSSCHHHHTTTT!!!!

a stock K bottom end can handle 6psi all day. 8psi reduces its life to a few months. 10psi kills them pretty quick. for big boost, use 1G rods (why not just buy the whole 1G and put it in instead?) and maybe pistons if they fit. customs are available but you'd be stupid to spend that much money on a K motor. there are motorbike forgies that fit, but you'd have to trawl a bike piston catalog to find slugs with the right bore and wrist pin height

unless you can do most of the stuff yourself, and on a budget, it would be way worth your money to transplant a larger efi motor, even an n/a 2L would be a better car to drive than a turbo 4k, unless you put it in a silvia with an auto gearbox :dance:

Edited by Super Jamie

however they're pretty stresssed on a 1L 3cyl, don't expect them to do wonders to your 1.3L 4cyl

I have talked to a guy who made some 200hp on a stocko charade carby (jetted up of course and tonnes of other work to the motor). They are aisans and are VERY similar to the stock corolla carbys. I would be aiming to get a twincarb manifold and running two of them. They also come with a nice carb bonnet with has a mounting point for a PSTCCHH gay valve.

my best mate's sister's boyfriend has a charade which makes 160kw at the wheels or some stupid crap, full house head on stock bottom end with forrester turbo running 23psi. it doesn't change the fact that it's a cheap piece of plastic crap which doesn't handle and... sorry, polytopic :dance:

thanks super for that info grimwolge

i suppose it does come down to time and money. and i think I'm just going to start slow, go with a reground cam or something like that. i have read about getting a reground cam and it said sumwhere along the way that u should upgrade, air/fuel( as in air filter fuel pump etc) system before the cam beacuse later on it changes how the cam was made for the engine?? not sure..

thanks alot fellas

cheerz

carl :dance:

• 11 months later...

Stock rods are fine for 160rwkw and massive revs, no point in changing them

Pistons:Precision hypatecs cast pistons are tough as, you will never/ever break them unless you are an idiot, held up to 23psi fine so far., They are cheap

Stock carby's are fine for blowthrough up to, 85rkwkw 4k/ 100rwkw/5k which you will make on about 12psi

with a T25 or ihi td04, the stock motor will last a reasonbly along time if you tune it properly and

it is in decent condition to start of with.

The standard headbolts can only handle about 150rwkw combustion pressures and the

heads lift. head stud time.

Angelas car makes 156rwkw on 23psi on pump fuel.

Once you get to 145rwkw you are pushing shit up hill, i don't think the head flows much more

It would make about 165rwkw on 30psi and race fuel a heap more torque.

From memory it makes 150rwkw on 20psi and with baby cam and smaller exhaust valves

it made 140rwkw on 20psi. 10rwkw for another 800rpm of powerband.(7200rpm)

A 5K spools a turbo so much quicker than a 4k so it is MUCH better to start of with from memory

it spooled a T25 400-500rpm quicker

cheers

darren

Edited by untubbed_20

• 2 weeks later...

in all realities darrens engine is (was) the toughest k series in the world!! :wink:

this is my car. total set up was done for under $400.

has had a bit more work done since this pic, now has a front mount etc.

should be running at tassie nats not this weekend but bext.

Picture021.jpg

Blame darren not me :wink: haha trout slap!!

engine bay looks HEAPS better now, isn't full of charf like in this pic. I was driving it round for a little while with absolutely no exhaust on it- just coming straight out the back of the turbo.

when i buy a new usb cable for my camera i'll get some pics up of the new engine looking engine bay.