Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

it was all just done for shits and giggles really. :wink:

oh yeah, it was $400 in parts etc (out of that fuel pump was $97, and exhaust was $80 being the most expensive parts) got 2 1g ct12's for free!!

but there was also around 100 hours of my own labour which was the big saver.

100hours x say $60 (average mechanics hourly rate) = way to much for a corolla. :y:

• 3 weeks later...
If its a Turbo carby, you don't want much fuel pressure :P

People have used everything from Aisans to Webers to Strombergs

bupbow, I'm gunna pull you up on that one.

blowthrough or drawthrough both actually need quite a bit of fuel pressure. blowthrough espeacially.

at the moment I am running about 12 psi straight into my needle and seat. the pump is a carter black which makes 12-14psi. at the moment i am restricted to about 10psi of boost, because if i go over that (or my fuel pressure drop for some reason) then I run out of fuel!!! this is cause by there being more boost pressure than fuel pressure to the fuel actually gets puch back along the fuel lines to the pump.

I'm actually just about to change my fuel setup. Its taken me a while to find a suitable fuel reg within my corolla budget. what I have been looking for is a rising rate, adjustable reg suitable for carby turbo cars. these regs will let you set base pressure from 3-15psi at idle and then 1:1 boost reference above that on boost. I couldn't use a normal EFI malpassi etc as you cannot get the base pressure down far enough for the needle and seat to hold it. I'm just going to use an s14 in tank pump out of a mates car.

this way I can run say 20psi if i wanted as the fuel pressure would jump to say 25psi, with a base pressure of 5psi.

sorry bassy,

carby is a 32/32 dtmr-a off a fiat 128 sport L. has a massive needle and seat (for this weber) out of a 4 litre falcon weber, secondary jet in the primary, redrilled secondary jet. thats about all the mods to the carby. oh yeah its got no choke flat either.

The whole idea about putting the carby in that box though way to have equal pressure on both side of it so that really made boost modifying it not neccessary.

current pump is a carter black, 100gph @ 12-14psi with NO-REG!

in a couple of weeks the fuel system will consist of:

s14 in tank pump.

aeromotive AER-13204 carby turbo rising rate reg. 3-15psi base pressure. 1:1 boost referencing.

this reg will require me to setup up a return line to the tank.

haha yeah an 040 deffinately would be an overkill, but you could use it. would just be a heaps more volume and pressure for the reg to regulate.

short and narrow of my above post:

for a blowthrough carby turbo you always need more fuel pressure than boost pressure. :P

this is a pm i just sent to somebody, though i might aswell cut and paste it here to so the next time i get asked about my setup the typing is already done! :)

Hey mate, I'm looking to do the turbo setup on the 4k shortly! Was wondering if you've got any other pics of the setup on yours? Just wanna get a good iea of the setup ya got on there (visually - your posts are pretty informative!). Thanks mate! :jamie:

here a couple of early shot befor it was running. notice the absence of chaff from running it with no exhaust whats so ever. :lolcry:

shows the carby in the bottom part of the box.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz...uff/Picture.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz...tuff/rolla1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz...tuff/rolla2.jpg

these are a few weeks after it was running after i finally got some exhaust on it.

theres the chaff!! :P

my massive turbo!! haha, atleast its made by toyota!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture015.jpg

the j-pipe on a ke70 manifold. ke35-55 etc have a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold (headers) and the ke70 ones are 4-1. had a little water leak till it cooked itself shut. :lolcry:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture017.jpg

all 2 foot of exhaust. just got the rest put on on monday.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture016.jpg

water lines and bov.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture018.jpg

oil send. $10 worth of fittings from enzed!!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture019.jpg

my busted bov. hose blew off, bov hit the engine fan, busted holes in the that and broke 2/3 of the fan blades off!!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture020.jpg

this end of the j-pipe is supported to take some whieght, but with a flex rubber mount as it still needs to move with the engine.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture022.jpg

the pic you would have already seen.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz.../Picture021.jpg

so just a quick run down on what was required, and some rough prices.

turbo - free (a mate has a 1ggtte celica who has blown 2 engine already, so he has 6 turbo, i'm already on my second. :P

turbo plumbing (exhaust manifold) - ke70 exhaust manifold $30 from a wrecker. but you already have one. ;)

took a dummy j-pipe mad out of toilet rolls and lecky tape to midas. they bend it up for me but thought it wasn't right, so i got it for free, but it did the job.

flanges for the j-pipe were cut off an on ke70 exhaust and i spent and hour cutting one out of the 1g manifold with an angle grinder!! :abuse: so they were free.

the 2 foot of exhaust cost me $80 cutom made. again at midas.

water lines were taken from the standard 1g setup. free again.

oil lines as mentioned above, were $10 from enzed for the send fittings. with the return, (this is really dodgy) I drilled a hole in the sump, used the standard 1g oil return fitting that bolts onto the block and welded it over the hole in the sump. did this still in the car, so there was oil fires and all shit while welding!! :hmm: get this as high on the sump as you can.

the 1g had bolt on oil fittings with steel lines, so all i did on the turbo end was bolt the fitting back on cut the metal linesn and slip and clap hoses over them, keep your send oil line down in size to keep the pressure up!!

the drum that the carby is in is actually the box that hold the air filter inside it on a hilux, was $25 from a wrecker. keepn it in the toyota family again! :jamie: ! this was perfect for what i needed, as the top (now bottom) was shallow enough for me to still be able to bolt the carby down, but high enough to run the fuel lines and excelerator cable through the side. btw, it took a bit of modifying and r&d to get this right, the standard clips that hold the filter in won't hold 1 boost, so it is sealed with threaded rods that run through the box (top to bottom) to squash it together. just got wing nuts on top.

oh, obviously battery was relocated to the boot to made room for the turbo, i also ran all the wiring on this side of the car down through the guard.

the hoses in the pics were only temperary, bottom ones an old radiator hole, standard mx6 bov, and the one with the flex rings was off the hilux. (which was useless and kept splitting. cost free, free and free.

standard dizzy was locked, with cable ties!! :lolcry: with no vacuum or mech advance set on about 20 degrees befor at idle. I did put an unlocked dizzy in it a one stage, and it blew headgaskets like there was no tomorrow. don't worry if you do, if you know how to fix them (hardest bit is doing the tappets) it costs $67 to fix a k series head gasket - $44 for head machining, and $23 for the gasket (can you tell i've fixed a couple!. :lolcry: )

oh fuel system - this is the bit that took the most r&d to get right as i did everything the hard way and found out for myself.

the original setup consited of my old carter green pump second had from my mazda (these are suppose to do 72gph @ 4-6psi, IIRC) and a run of the mill adjustable fuel pressure reg (1-6psi) for $30, regged to about 5psi.

what happened with this is it would boost fine, and if you held it on boost for about 10 seconds it would just die in the arse. basically what was happening was the 6+psi that the turbo made was greater than the fuel pressure being made by the pump. this caused the fuel to be pushed back along the fuel lines backwards through the pump and back into the tank. the 10 worth of fuel that I had was only what was left in the fuel bowl.

I fixed this problem by getting a carter black (100gph @ 12-14psi){i'm a fan of carter pumps, rather than say holleys, as they are self priming and you don't have to put them below tank level.} and f@$king off the reg (small weber needle and seat will hold this) so that I had 12psi of fuel pressure vs my 6psi of boost pressure.

this setup works, but is not ideal, as the pump still get pressure pushing back on it and will no-doubt f@$k the pump. after about 6 months mine is starting to fluxuate a bit.

I am now running a boost controller switch at 10psi of boost, but can't go any higher as i will then have the same boost pressure vs fuel pressure issues again.

this leads me to the new fuel system i am about to put in that i mention in the post. I'll use a s14 in tank pump (located in the corolla tank so i don't have to use a surge tank.) with an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure reg DESIGHNED FOR CARBY TURBO cars. I will set base pressure to about 5-6psi at idle (but can go higher as i know the needle and seat will hold it) and then have a 1:1 boost reference from there so compat the boost pressure. so for example if I was to run 25psi, fuel pressure will jump from 5 to 30psi.

so theres just a quick run down! :lolcry:

if anyone has any q's, fire away!

:lolcry: specs???

Is that an SU hiding in there? :lolcry: or maybe a fuel pressure reg. i really can't tell from that angle, or does it have some sort of EFI??

also is your exhaust manifold sorta like extracters that collect just befor the turbo?

and while were on exhausts, is that lttle pipe a screamer or does it plumb back in?

:lolcry: shits and giggles are great hay! :P

"......what the fugs in that"

"......oh just the standard 4k!" :)

• 2 weeks later...
:P specs???

Is that an SU hiding in there? :P or maybe a fuel pressure reg. i really can't tell from that angle, or does it have some sort of EFI??

also is your exhaust manifold sorta like extracters that collect just befor the turbo?

and while were on exhausts, is that lttle pipe a screamer or does it plumb back in?

:) shits and giggles are great hay! :P

"......what the fugs in that"

"......oh just the standard 4k!" :P

yea its a su... fuel reg is at back of eng bay... yea my manifold is some exctractors cut and flipped around and shortends and a collector made. and yes it is a screamer ;)

specs was a standard 4k.. now is a standard 5k ;)