United Kingdom & Ireland, Rollaclub Welcomes you

Ratty

Members dont see this ad

I am being a little silly, I am from Ireland and some of my family is out here in OZ atm and they saw my ke20 and are amazed..... In ireland a car older then around 10 years is not allowed on the road.. so seeing a 31 year old car spun them out,

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

New guy here from Ireland, the spirtual home of the ae86!

I have an 86 Daihatsu Charmant, it shares the engine and underpinnings with a ke70 Corolla, Its got a little bit down so far, TRD blue short stroke rears, waiting on coilovers for the front, ssr mk2r front wheels hoshino impuls out back, got a set of twin ke25 carbs on an intake manifold, welded diff, lowered but not enough, ae86 drivers seat, janspeed exhaust, usual crap really,

Site looks great been snoopin around it the last few days,

Ill post up pics soon. :jamie: :hmm:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi fellow Rollas.

I've been driving nothing but Corollas since June 1980.

My first was a company car, a 1600cc 3 door fastback in black with frameless windows - quite a posemobile and very much 'not me' as up till then I'd had old British bangers. After three and a half years I left the company and the MD let me have the car for 500 GBPounds (book price 2200) I drove it around for another 9 years after which, with 223,000 on the clock it had started to rust under the engine. A car enthusiast friend commented "That's what happens when your engine doesn't leak oil!".

A friend spotted an identical 1980 model but in pale metallic blue at a reasonable price at a local dealer's which I bought. It only lasted 11 months before it was written off in a smash - I was stationary at the back of a traffic queue and a Jaguar just ploughed into me - the driver was talking on his cellphone at the time. My car was still drivable after the impact but the Jag wasn't.

A quick hunt and I found a 1988 metallic grey 5 door 1300cc Corolla hatchback which I liked and drove for 7 years before it was written off in a minor crunch. It did have 212,000 on the clock and was still on the original clutch.

A red 1991 identical model was my next Corolla which I had for only 3 years before it became unreliable due to a seriously overheated engine when I had a total loss of coolant while climbing a long hill (split radiator). Even before getting any work done on the engine, it still got me home "under my own steam"!

Just when I needed a replacement, a friend spotted a third identical Corolla (1990 this time), again in metallic grey, sitting at the side of the road with a For Sale notice in the window. He took me to see it and after a test drive I bought it for 950 GBPounds. Although 13 years old, it had a genuine 20,000 miles on the clock and a full service history! I'm still driving it today, 9 years on and it's still only done about 106,000 miles. But I've had to spend money on it to keep it going the last couple of years so I decided that it was time for something a little newer. I figure that if a 1990 Corolla is still running well after 22 years, if I buy a nearly new one, and it lasts 22 years, I'll be into my 80s by then and probably won't need a car. So I went mad on Saturday last week and bought an 18 month old Auris Hybrid (which we all know is really a Corolla) which I'm collecting tomorrow.

Does anybody want to buy a 22 year old Corolla? I'm putting it in the ads section if you're interested.