R31 Diff In Ke30

ben

I have a KE 30 2 Door with a 5K and have just snapped the UJ's and bent the tailshaft. The Diff is also on it's last legs.

I want to get a R31 diff with the LSD and disc brakes. I intend to get it shortened and the spring mounts from my diff welded on to make it fit.

The info I have been able to gather so far is that they come with either 3.2:1 or 3.75:1 ratio have a factory 4 clutch pack LSD and a disc brakes.

Can anyone confirm that the with from flange to flange is 1480mm?

I believe they have a 28 spline axle and 4x 114.3 PCD.

I wish to use a R31 tailshaft and UJ's and have it shortened to fit and get a front yoke made up to mate it to a KE70 5 Speed Manual.

I think a tailshaft safety loop would also be a good idea.

I just want something that is going to last and be tough enough to handle a bit of abuse without breaking.

Cheer's

Ben

Members dont see this ad
how did you break uni's with a 5K????????

The Stock jap diff and uni's in a KE30 aren't very strong and is the weakest point in the driveline.

The 5K is modified and makes about 80hp at the wheels.

It was the front Uni that sheared off so i was lucky I was only in 1st gear or bad stuff could have happened...

Will definitely fit a tailshaft loop of some description now.

r31 diff is a bit overkill but cheap in the end, ke30 / ke55 is 1355mm wheel mounting

face to wheel mounting face. also its 4 pinion gears in the skylines and 2 pinion gears

in the pintaras, they are the small gears that do the differential action between side gears

sometimes called spider gears. the borg warner lsd found in r31's falcons and commodores

is a cone type lsd not typical clutch pack, its works ok - a bit harsh in engagement motion,

not so great on engagment force and wears out more quickly but is common and cheap

as far as i know.

I broke a ke30 diff with the stock 3k and a manual box, and a brake job in the grass..

i have a commodore diff in mine. With 4 stud pattern and a kaaz lsd. shes nice and tight. Try to get the best meshing gears you can in the setup otherwise she will whine a bit.

Edited by cuzzo

I broke a ke30 diff with the stock 3k and a manual box, and a brake job in the grass..

i have a commodore diff in mine. With 4 stud pattern and a kaaz lsd. shes nice and tight. Try to get the best meshing gears you can in the setup otherwise she will whine a bit.

hey mate

I'm sorry to steal the thunder of the thread starter...

but is the commondore diff the same as the R31 diff? (i assume you talking about the VL which by my understanding is based on an R31)

cause ive got a mate whos looking for a aftermarket LSD for his R31 but hasnt had much luck.

and we all know the stocko r31 lsds arent that crash hot

could you possibly give me (and the thread starter as I'm sure he'll be keen too) some info on said "kaaz lsd" and how/can you get one for the R31 diff

ive had a search around kaaz website but can't find anything about R31, heaps of other nissans though.

The Stock jap diff and uni's in a KE30 aren't very strong and is the weakest point in the driveline.

The 5K is modified and makes about 80hp at the wheels.

It was the front Uni that sheared off so i was lucky I was only in 1st gear or bad stuff could have happened...

Will definitely fit a tailshaft loop of some description now.

Fair enough you broke the diff in a KE30, they are probably the weakest point in the driveline when doing stupid shit. As for breaking unis, i wouldnt say they are "weak" more likely not properly looked after or worn.

^^^^^^

my thoughts too. Have run two different Corolla's in competition (ke35 & ke20) both with modded 5k's and never had uni issues in 15 years. Even diffs you had to be doing something really stupid to break a single spinner. The lockers I used to run were not too bad either - would get at least two years out of one (jap diffs)

Its your money but I wouldn't bother. Maybe try to modify how you drive so parts don't break.

I've got an R31 Diff in my KE30 2 Door.

Had it shortended with brand new 4.11 gears installed which can still be purchased obviously.

I can tell you that with 15" x 7" 20P wheels and 195/50's, I had to lip the rear gaurds so the tyres didnt scrub.

I believe the Skylines have 28 spline axles, whereas the Pintara's or Bluebirds have 25 Splines and not LSD.

I havent actually driven the car, but its a prick to push because its like pushing a car with a locked diff.

R31 Skyline Borg Warner 7.8 inch 28 Spline: Man=3.7, Auto=3.89

R31 Pintara 25 Spline: 4.11

VL Commodore (non turbo) 25 Spline: 3.45 lsd option

VL Commodore Turbo and V8 28 Spline: V8=3.08 (3.45 option), VLT=3.45 all with lsd optionional

VN-VS Commodore 28 Spline: 3.08

Falcons Fairlanes Fairmonts: Too many variants eg. 2.77, 2.92, 3.08, 3.23, 3.27, 3.45

could you possibly give me (and the thread starter as I'm sure he'll be keen too) some info on said "kaaz lsd" and how/can you get one for the R31 diff

ive had a search around kaaz website but can't find anything about R31, heaps of other nissans though.

Kaaz 2way part number DAG3820, Not always listed specifically for Skylines but the diffs are the same as Falcon EB-BA and Commodore VN-VS VT-VZ V6.

You'd be looking at a minimum $1500.