How To Remove Front And Rear Main Seals On 4k.

SLO-030

Members dont see this ad
As the title says, I need to know how to remove the front and rear main seals for my 4k. sure it seems simple as but it just wont come out. Ive removed part of the front seal but not the part that needs to come out :D

Any help appreciated.

A seal puller/ pick would be a good start.

post-3388-1230122063.jpg

Front ones are easy to get out with a screw driver. You'll destroy it, but you're replacing it anyway so who cares.

Yea, ive destroyed the seal already :). just wanted to check before removing them and possibly screwing the timing cover and rear main carrier.

for the love of god please be careful if you are using one of those pullers!!!

you really really do NOT want to put a scratch on the crankshaft or the outer housing because it will leak oil. I would reccomend that you be VERY careful and use a seal pick/screwdriver/seal puller, if that doesn't work, or you can't get a swing on it, I would get the shits and drill a small hole in the face of the seal, then screw a self tapper into it, which will then push the seal out when it reaches the hard surface behind the seal. multiple screws on the one seal if its really stubborn. I did that on a front crank seal on a 3.5lt v6 magna, worked a treat!!

If you put a scratch on the crank its probably not the end of the world, you can buy a speedi sleeve which is an interferance fit sleeve that you tap over the scratch and provides you with a new surface for the seal to run on. If you put a scratch on the outer case, smooth it off as best as you can, clean it, and I'd reccommend aviation sealant around the OUTSIDE of the seal when you install it. These things you find out when fixing other motor mechanic's stuff ups...

Robert.

for the love of god please be careful if you are using one of those pullers!!!

you really really do NOT want to put a scratch on the crankshaft or the outer housing because it will leak oil. I would reccomend that you be VERY careful and use a seal pick/screwdriver/seal puller, if that doesn't work, or you can't get a swing on it, I would get the shits and drill a small hole in the face of the seal, then screw a self tapper into it, which will then push the seal out when it reaches the hard surface behind the seal. multiple screws on the one seal if its really stubborn. I did that on a front crank seal on a 3.5lt v6 magna, worked a treat!!

If you put a scratch on the crank its probably not the end of the world, you can buy a speedi sleeve which is an interferance fit sleeve that you tap over the scratch and provides you with a new surface for the seal to run on. If you put a scratch on the outer case, smooth it off as best as you can, clean it, and I'd reccommend aviation sealant around the OUTSIDE of the seal when you install it. These things you find out when fixing other motor mechanic's stuff ups...

Robert.

Thats the method i use at work, Works great.

Hey guys, Thanks for the info.

I can't see how i could scratch the crank. The timing cover and rear main carrier are both off the engine.

If need be i have a spare timing cover and rear main carrier off my old 3k to practice on or use if i screw up.

Only problem with the 3k timing cover would be the timing marks