Are Ke70's Slugs Or Do I Have A Problem?

Johno

Hey all, my brother has just bought a Ke70 with a 1.3l 4kc motor. I don't know if its just me but its really slow.

I took it for a drive and its a slug. It would barley get to 100kms on freeway. If there is a slight hill i have to floor it keep it at the speed limit on the slight incline. If its a big hill i'd be lucky to go 50km/h while everyone else beeps me and flys past at 70km/h

Things to take into account. It hasn't been driven for about 2 months. Its auto and it may have a cooling problem.

Members dont see this ad

yeah a 3-speed auto trans won't help. but do a full service on it: oil, oil filter, air fiter, fuel filter, plugs, perhaps leads, points and get it tuned. should make a huge difference.

but at the end of the day it's a 1.3L, quarter of a century old carby fed 4cyl, its going to be slow by nature.

Edited by Mr Hardware

I'm not sure if the kickdown is dodge or not. It will kick down to second if i'm 50 or below. Another thing i looked at was the throttle, i thought it was not getting full throttle so checked that and its fine :yes:

How would a 4ac compare with a 4kc?

Well i got a heathy 4ac just sitting here with all the bits, goes good too, it came out of my seca. If my brother is going to the hassle to put in a 4ac he may as well put in a 4age. I guess it is drivabe at the momnet but its nothing special. Just thought it would have gone a bit quicker but it is auto.

Convert to manual! We bought an auto early last year and it crawled around OK while my daughter learnt to drive, then we converted it to manual over Xmas and the difference is stunning.

We also modified the vacuum hosing slightly and piled on the advance, seeing we live at 2500ft up! There's a how-to on KE70.com

It went to Benalla and back from Orange at 90kph up hill & down dale, running at 6.4L/100km. She's not allowed to go 100!

if not, dyno run it and see if you're getting stock power.

Edited by altezzaclub

It took me about 2 months to find a corolla that is auto for a good price. My brother only has a auto license, red P's. He wouldn't mind manual but still has to learn. It seems 80% of corolla's are manual. I now know why, Lol.

i bought my manual corolla whilst i only had an auto licence. best move i ever made, forced me to learn the manual and get my manual licence.

I did the same thing, bought me a corona 5 speed on auto licence. Got caught twice by cops but got let off with a warning both times. I knew basics of manual but needed the experience. Best move i made too :yes: