Car Acts As If Has Dead Battery, With Charged Battery

p0rt

Ok changed headgasket, all went well, thought battery died in the process somehow.

Turns out this isnt the issue, fully charged the battery with same effect, figured just to be safe ill try battery from GF's laser.

same result, turns very slowly asif a dead battery "ner... ner...ner....ner.."

My battery starts my gf's car, and her battery obviously starts her car.

So the battery isnt the issue.

What on gods green earth, causes a rolla to behave like this.

I'm bewildered, and my mechanic mate is now back in QLD, any ideas? longshots? hopeful's? all accepted info is welcomed in my struggle to defeat the Rolla's personality.

So to clarify: Corolla will not start with fully charged battery, acts like battery has 5% charge and turns once every 2 seconds.

:cool: :hmm: ;) HELP!

Members dont see this ad
Do the rest of the accessories work? Headlights, stereo etc...

I'd be thinking the starter motor is shot, if you jump the car from another running engine, does it start better then?

Yep with jumper leads if kicks over and starts, i jumped it from GF's laser and away we go, which baffles me even more, sorry for not including that in original post

accessories are all working. (has no stereo as of yet) dash lights are up, parkers are up, headlights are up. everything except car f**king starting lol

Which should mean starter motor is OK? .. I'm majorly confused

Edited by p0rt

Yep with jumper leads if kicks over and starts, i jumped it from GF's laser and away we go, which baffles me even more, sorry for not including that in original post

accessories are all working. (has no stereo as of yet) dash lights are up, parkers are up, headlights are up. everything except car f**king starting lol

Which should mean starter motor is OK? .. I'm majorly confused

Sounds like starter motor is strting to die internally. When you jump off a running car you're giving it 14.4 volts as opposed to 12 or so when you crank from a battery, the extra voltage gives it the kick that it needs.

What car is it in exactly?

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

maybe maybe maybe - you've had the head off, have you forgotten to reattach an earth strap?

So, it jump starts fine - starter motor fine etc ... When you jump start, you're attaching donor battery +ve to corolla +ve ... where are you attaching the -ve? Corolla battery -ve terminal, chassis or engine? If engine, then I'd be suspecting earth.

cheers,

Slapper

maybe maybe maybe - you've had the head off, have you forgotten to reattach an earth strap?

So, it jump starts fine - starter motor fine etc ... When you jump start, you're attaching donor battery +ve to corolla +ve ... where are you attaching the -ve? Corolla battery -ve terminal, chassis or engine? If engine, then I'd be suspecting earth.

cheers,

Slapper

Can u explain that too me differently?

The negative terminal on battery earths out to the chassis if thats what ur saying.. not sure if thats a good or bad thing, might flash u guys a few pics, i managed to shift my work hours to tonight to keep toying with the rolla

Ill be back shortly with lots of pics to let u guys mull over

*edit* I'm attaching the negative lead to the negative terminal on battery when i jump start from another car with jumper leads + to +, - to - .. i think thats what ur asking?

-and the terminals are in excellent condition

Edited by p0rt

Cancel the pics, i convinced my local mechie to spare 15mins of his time for, legend even lets me book up on an account:)

Once i source the issue here ill get back to you guys with the solution, that is naturally IF he can find the issue.

Once again thankyou to all who take thier time out to help a fellow rolla owner.

I'm going to fix this rolla up if it kills me, then sell it to one of u blokes, and probably get stuff all for it :cool:

CARS!

-ve post on the battery connects to -ve cable.

-ve cable attaches to chassis.

chassis is attached to engine block via two earth straps if i recall correctly.

starter motor gets -ve connection via its connection to the engine.

Any of these connections can break down - and are most likely to break down when you try to crank the engine. At this point, you're attempting to draw a couple of hundred amps and the weakest link may collapse.

If you're connecting the donor battery to the -ve cable from the battery (probably clamping it over the end of the cable where it attaches to the battery post I guess), then you're just showing that the connections from that cable to the -ve on the starter motor are all good. In which case, if it is a connection issue, it's probably between the -ve battery post and the cable that goes to the chassis. Basically, whatever connections are being bypassed by the jumper cable are probably the problematic ones.

Try jumper lead from Corolla battery -ve terminal straight to the block.

Try disconnecting the earth cable from the corolla battery and verify that you can still start with the jumper cable and donor battery - this shows that it's not the combined effect of two batteries that's making everything good.

Try running a jumper lead from your Corolla battery -ve terminal to the chassis, or even straight to the earth cable that you've just disconnected. This will hopefully work and show that your Corolla battery +ve connections are good and the -ve connection is what's having problems.

Essentially, what you're trying to do - given that it sounds like the Corolla battery is quite capable of starting your car - which of the connections between it and the starter motor are breaking down.

let us know .... :cool:

cheers,

Slapper

Edited by slapper

Runs like a dream when i jump start it, tho admittedly havent put a timing light over it yet, yet it runs smooth as silk when its up and pumping.

Ill begin testing the earths as u described tomorrow slapper, i believe its high time i chucked a full sickie from work, this is cause for it.

I'm quite positive the battery clamps arent the issue, they are in great condition, its either starter motor or the earthing, my mechie is quite sure its the starter, tho I'm still hesitant about ripping the motor half down and then finding out that wasnt the issue!

Will keep you guys posted

Raining atm, so hoping sun comes out tomorrow.

Motor wil run fine with 25+o timing at idle.......

...will start like an absolute bitch though!!! :)

I've had a 4K at at least 40 degrees out (can't remember if it was advance or retard) and it absolutely purred at idle.

Took 10 minutes to start the bloody thing though