N/a 20v Vs 4agte Vs 4agze Supercharged

Stixy

Hey all, i am nearly at the stage o buying a new engine for my AE71 but have hit a wall.........

What is the supreme???

N/A tuned twin cam 20V

Turbo charged twin cam 16V

Supercharged 4AGZE

I have heard different things from different people but it’s a big can of worms, so I want some Facts...

lets here what you have to say Rolla club......

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all depends on what application its going to used for really

and as a wise man once said a 20v is worth the effort over a 16v :party:

but personally say i'd a turbo 16v, because at the same boost level as a 4agze you will be making more power.

Edited by MYSTIK

Do you want to know which is faster?, which is more reliable? which is more drivable?, Which is going to last longer?

Depends on how any of them are put together

all o the above. i know its hard but i thought that a ew people have had some experiances with this stuff.

PLEASE EXCUSE THE MISSING F'S EVERYWHERE MY F KEY WORKS WHEN IT WANTS TO.

P.S i like your thinking travis

Edited by Stixy

If you went 4AGZE then 90% of the stuff you need to do the conversion will suit 20v 16v so if you don't like a GZE then you can turbo it or pull the motor out and give a 20v a go ect ect.

If it were me id go for a GZE 1st up as at the end of the day 1.6L in NA form might not impress.

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/phil.bradsh...0into%20RWD.htm

Maybe give that a read and see where your thoughts go.

Edited by Budowski

i finished my GZE conversion about 2 months ago (in an ae82) and it was the best thing i ever did. i have driven a blacktop 20V aw11 mr2 and it was ghey. even the owner preferred the stock 16V. and a bonus is, if you go GZE and want more power all you need to do is put a turbo on and happy times.

why not a turbo 20v?

because of the high compression that it has out of the box, and you have to fabricate a new air box for the quads.more aftermarket parts available for a 16V 4age. but it can be done, its just more piss farting around for the same result.

Edited by damo101

because of the high compression that it has out of the box, and you have to fabricate a new air box for the quads.more aftermarket parts available for a 16V 4age. but it can be done, its just more piss farting around for the same result.

because its rwd your better off going 4agze or 4agte. the dizzy on the 20v is just to much screwing around can be swapped for cas but in the end a 16v head can make more power :party:

ae92 GZE has the beefiest rods (same as the smallport motor), good compression ratio 8.9:1, CAS instead of dizzy, no TVIS.

what you want is lots of torque and a good top end, so IMHO turbo is the best answer. get a well suited turbo which will build boost almost straight away and you will be grinning from ear to ear.

Edited by Jono

I'm doing a 20 valve into AE71 at the moment. When it is finished I can tell you if it is worth it or not.

At this stage I am reluctant to continue with it due to increased cost over the 16 valve, however I am too committed funds wise and with parts now not to go ahead with it. I am not sure if I had my time again that I would go 20 valve. Too much stuffing round with the dizzy and water cooling issues.

20 Valve conversion in my mind - without labour costs as I have done most myself - will run into $3K plus.

16 Valve 4AGE can be had for $1500 as a package with ECU, gearbox, etc out of a RWD Sprinter so you bolt straight in. Way cheaper.

20 Valve will be revvier and make a bit more power than 16 Valve. But if you can't bare to spend more than $3K on it, don't even start with it.

4AGZE actually aren't that exciting out of the box and make about as much power as a 20 Valve standard.