Supercharged 4k...

luke.t.

Hey all i was considering buying a new rolla then i thought f@$k that i already have a descent enough one so why not make it better....... i was gunna go down the 4age road but its pretty damn common.....

I'm planing on re-building a 4k this year with all the bells and whistles......

My question is what is involved with doing a blow through supercharged set-up for example lowering the compression, choice of carby, lumpy cam not lumpy and fuel set-up?????? and how hard would it be. Also to those out there who have done it what sort of price am i looking at????

Members dont see this ad

If your going the blow thru route id definatly go for a 4k or 7K efi setup.

I'm in the process fo doing this exact project, except carb in a draw thru setup.

If your chasing torque, ive been told to stick with the factory cam.

what i paid so far;

(keeping in mind I'm making alot of this stuff myself anyway)

SC: $200+100 post

5/16 EFI fuel hose $55

Silicon bends $20

Fuel reg $40

Pulley $45

i'll think of more later

Probably over 500 so far

Edited by SLO-030

Hey all i was considering buying a new rolla then i thought f@$k that i already have a descent enough one so why not make it better....... i was gunna go down the 4age road but its pretty damn common.....

My question is what is involved with doing a blow through supercharged set-up for example lowering the compression, choice of carby, lumpy cam not lumpy and fuel set-up?????? and how hard would it be. Also to those out there who have done it what sort of price am i looking at????

yea sc is win

we should save up for a ute and turbo the 4k in that

Plenty have done it, plenty more have thought about doing it (I did at one point).

If you search on the rollaclub, there's quite a bit of info, the hardest bit is sifting through the oodles of information. As for a "how to" the best thread to start with is Taz_rx's thread on his 400 buck turbo setup.

Hardest bits all revolve around the carby setup, the actual blower installation is fairly straightforaward in my opinion.

If I were you I'd modify an aircon bracket to mount the blower, use a stock carb or Weber downdraft blowthrough with a custom tophat, modify the carb so you have a boost pressure reference line to the fuel bowl and a fuel pump/FPR setup that will handle the pressurised fuel bowl.

As far as cost, you should be paying around 300-400 for an SC12/14 off ebay, 100-200 bucks for a suitable weber + 20 buck adaptor plate. 200 bucks for a decent fuel pump and carby turbo fuel pressure regulator setup. Pulleys and brackets can be as cheap as long as your fabrication skills are competent.

Oh, and a check valve in your brake booster line. 10 bucks.

Edited by philbey

All the fuel setup info you need is in the "how to setup your fuel system" how to in Tech articles>General discussion. I wrote it for turbos, but its identicle for a blow-through SC setup.

Just in regards to SlO-030's comment....

If your chasing torque, ive been told to stick with the factory cam.

To alaborate just a little further - Most SC's will be most efficient in low-mid RPM and peter out a bit in the top end...... just like a stock cam. If you put a big cam in it you'll effectively have "cam lag" at low-mid rpm while still having full boost.

If you want to try and make more top end power, yeah sure change to a bigger cam but also re-evaluate the drive ratio on the charger to suit. :dance:

....and, you don't now how much you can actually enjoy torque until you loose it!

Plenty have done it, plenty more have thought about doing it (I did at one point).

If you search on the rollaclub, there's quite a bit of info, the hardest bit is sifting through the oodles of information. As for a "how to" the best thread to start with is Taz_rx's thread on his 400 buck turbo setup.

Hardest bits all revolve around the carby setup, the actual blower installation is fairly straightforaward in my opinion.

If I were you I'd modify an aircon bracket to mount the blower, use a stock carb or Weber downdraft blowthrough with a custom tophat, modify the carb so you have a boost pressure reference line to the fuel bowl and a fuel pump/FPR setup that will handle the pressurised fuel bowl.

As far as cost, you should be paying around 300-400 for an SC12/14 off ebay, 100-200 bucks for a suitable weber + 20 buck adaptor plate. 200 bucks for a decent fuel pump and carby turbo fuel pressure regulator setup. Pulleys and brackets can be as cheap as long as your fabrication skills are competent.

Oh, and a check valve in your brake booster line. 10 bucks.

yeah ive got the basic idea in my head... i was gonig to mod an ac braket and use the additional pulley you get with air-con on the crank to run the sc..... ive already got a descent 32/36 downdrapht weber...... I'm running a low pressure electric pump at the moment so ill proberly just have to fab up a hat that bolts onto the weber.......

so with the carby situation..... because you have more air passin the emulsion tube it will obviosly be drawing more fuel into the system so intern i will need to pressurize the fuel bowl mre to cope??????

also with the boost passing through the carb will i be getting more problems????? eg.. seals... getting to hot or getting to cold???

Edited by luke.t.

Use a 4K or 5K bowl top piston bottom end, 3K or early 4K flat top piston head(is about 18-20cc larger in chamber) to lower comp. I prefer efi to carb with boost but a carb will work well still.

I put a full price list of my budget efi sc/12 setup on my rides thread. Was about $1300 all up, cheap way to double the power!!!!

I`m still a big fan of large cams though it made a big improvement on my car. Sounds like a ported rotary at idle :dance:

stu.

The FAQ needs some revision. No offenece to Jamie but it was obviously written by somebody that had never actually turbo'd a K. EG say a t28 is too big....... I just been running one for the last 6 months.

Oh and I've put over 20psi into a stock 4k befor.

Read......

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=17418

Edited by Taz_Rx