Parrot's Sprinter & Levin Shed

parrot

• 4 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad

while they are nice*.....and by nice i mean f@$kEN NICE!!!!!

there's still no word yet on when the 86 will be kciked out of the shed and the 15 moved in for its refurbishment (which will hopefully take much less time than the 86!!!!)

Edited by dfunkt

Err yes....

Well the last few bits should arrive from Japan next week.

Brakelines, after the braided line disaster as above

Seat rails specifically for the recaro's

Once the seats are in, I can put the drivers door back on, then the front guards. Bit too squishy in the shed to put them on now.

It has taken so long, I can't remember what I have torqued up and what I haven't. Picked up a fancy whiteboard out of a rubbish skip which is now up on the wall. As I go now, I make notes so I know what I have done! But have to go back systematically through the whole car.

• 1 month later...

Well some reasonable progress at last! Amazing what you can get done with a free day to get stuck into it.

Brakelines are in and seal. Just put rubber ones in in the end.

Recaro LX's are in and are fan bloody tastic. Got some purpose built rails from Japan. Had a good look at modifying the AE86 rails but decided not to arse around with them. Even better, after buying the pair of seats for $250, I sold the supra rails on ebay for $50.

Best of all, the drivers door went on first go! Thought I was going to be adjusting and fiddling all afternoon, but no. Been dreading that job.

Also fitted the adjustable panhard rod, which with the car on stands will almost certainly be adjusted wrong, but just having it on the car is a psychological lift. Plus the short stroke bilsteins for the rear. Stock stroke Koni reds out for now.

Now thinking about putting a bit of oil in the top of the bores for a while before I try turning the engine over by hand. Can then check the timing and whatnot as I had the dizzy out at some stage to give one to a mate in need.

On the parts front, have picked up a NOS genuine Levin badge for the boot on the TE27, a NOS grille with brand new badge also for the TE27, plus at long last, the elusive interior roof panel for the factory sunroof on the AE86, plus a clock surround. I chucked out my warped sunroof panel about 15 years ago thinking I would just get another from somewhere.....

Edited by parrot

On the parts front, have picked up a NOS genuine Levin badge for the boot on the TE27, a NOS grille with brand new badge also for the TE27, plus at long last, the elusive interior roof panel for the factory sunroof on the AE86, plus a clock surround. I chucked out my warped sunroof panel about 15 years ago thinking I would just get another from somewhere.....

OMG I so thought it was you that bought that NOS KE25 grill of ebay!!!! You out bid me by $2.50 lol!!! ahh well hehehe

good that it went to a fellow rollaclub member though :D

Ha! Sorry Tally. Was a bit early in the morning for me too, but I wasn't missing it. Wife was wondering why I was sleeping on the couch. Didn't want her waking on the alarm and coming down as I hit the bid button!

Only so much she needs to know, which explains why I have a post office box.....

• 1 month later...

Some more work done on the AE86.

Got all my mintex 1144 brake pads in. Rears went straight in, but the fronts were a bit of a pain. Would not go in although they looked the same. Finally noticed the scalloping on the trailing edge of the pad was slightly shorter on the mintex pads. Bit of a hit with the bench grinder and in they went.

Jumped in the drivers seat for a bit of an imaginary fang the other day, brushing the clutch pedal as I did. Seized solid. Hmmm. Picked up a master and slave real cheap on US ebay, but when it got here, the flange for the LHD master is different.... Oh well. Pulled the old one off to rebuild with the new parts. Long soak in WD40 and finally managed to blow the old piston out. Interestingly, there was only a small amount of rust around the firewall end of the bore. Cleaned up beautifully, reassemble with the new bits after a repaint of the master cylinder and it's as good as new. Repainted a bit of the firewall where some clutch fluid had bubbled the paint, fun trying to get the paint can in around brake master and inlet manifold but managed to keep paint off everything else. Should have done that when all that stuff was out of the car, but am glad it is done. It's the little things like this that take up so much time.

Engine turns over freely after popping a bit of oil on top of the pistons. Hadn't run for about 4 years, so was slightly worried, but no resistance at all. May be alright there.

Finally put the passenger side guard back on today, now almost looks like a car. Only panel left to put back is the driver side guard, although it is a white one as the old one had some rust in it, so will need to get around to spraying it. May look on AE86DC for an original red one as can't really be fagged spraying it.

So what is left? Other than the guard, put the inside sunroof panel in which will likely mean pulling the sunroof out, bleed the hydraulics, check the dizzy positioning, get the car off the axle stands and tighten the various bushes. Then the big one. Connect the battery and see if it catches fire.

The other thing I need to do is address the front inserts. Springs aren't captive at the moment and thinking about some SW20 KYB AGX front inserts with the T3 tube spacer. Aus to US dollar is pretty damn good so might be the way to go.

Edited by parrot