Gilmer Drive Belt

Ah, this is where the call was from. I was a little surprised someone called me about this.

Yes, mine did sell..

Bloke bought it for his 4k in his Mini Cooper.

Good luck with it though, they do look the goods. Harun's engine just looks amazing, the Gilmer belt kit seemed to of even made it look that 110% better.

Members dont see this ad
Ah, this is where the call was from. I was a little surprised someone called me about this.

Yes, mine did sell..

Bloke bought it for his 4k in his Mini Cooper.

Good luck with it though, they do look the goods. Harun's engine just looks amazing, the Gilmer belt kit seemed to of even made it look that 110% better.

Cheers fellas,

I have worked the bad boy...

Full bottom end balance, new endurotec 60thou oversize pistons.

Hot head with 10:1 comp, bigger ports & polished, toyota 4y engine valves an guides, dual valve springs, reground cam

& recurved dizzy.

Will be using 98 octane without the need of leaded subsitute.

Here's a link to an NA 5k with a Gilmer that I had bookmarked:

I assume that Taz has most likely done a proper job ('cause he's that kind of guy), and I'm guessing hasn't had any problems?

Sam.

That other youtube link is Brodie's (reTRD) KP. He was the guy who organised the Endevour group buy.

:) Now here you are talking me up when I actually did something slightly dodge when I fitted my gilmer........ I didn't fit a new front main seal while I was at it (which I think I may have be damaged when removing the stock crank pulley) and I ended up scoring a 0.5mm groove through the soft alloy causing an un-stoppable oil leak.

I actually have my gilmer crank pulley at a machine shop now and am picking it up tomorrow after having a stainless sleeve slipped over the machined down shaft. Will post a pick up on Friday once I get it back.

there's a wonderful thing called a "speedisleeve" which is an interferance fit tube that gets tapped on to the sealing surface and corrects oil leaks due to scoring the surface when fitting. I've used it a couple of times fixing oil leaks on v6 magnas, which is a bit of a lost cause sometimes anyway.

I would assume the gilmer would need to have no slack but wouldn't need to be tight as such, much the same as a timing belt. Timing belts can vary wildly depending on the manufacturer and the engine and the km on it. If tensioned correctly I wouldn't imagine it putting any extra load on the bearings in the alternator or water pump, probably work out to be similar to standard V belt. Having less resistance when turning would have to be a good thing for your engine revving freely too. Similar effect to removing the mechanical fan or lightening the flywheel?

Harun: How hard was it to put 4y valves into a K head? How much bigger are they?

Robert.

Harun: How hard was it to put 4y valves into a K head? How much bigger are they?

Robert.

Robert,

I couldnt tell you as to how hard it was because my machine shop did all the work.From what they told me and what i could see there was alot of meat ground out of the head to make room.But they much larger valves than standard K ones.

was it poisonously expensive?

I've got a pair of 3kb twin aisans and a manifold, and I'm going to be doing a head up in a fairly big way, matching the ports and increasing compression ratio of engine to 11:1, I was putting some serious thought into bigger valves. Its not going to be too crazy rpm wise and I'm just wondering about the air speed and whatnot though.

Robert.

was it poisonously expensive?

I've got a pair of 3kb twin aisans and a manifold, and I'm going to be doing a head up in a fairly big way, matching the ports and increasing compression ratio of engine to 11:1, I was putting some serious thought into bigger valves. Its not going to be too crazy rpm wise and I'm just wondering about the air speed and whatnot though.

Robert.

I paid roughly $900-$1000 dollars in headwork including new parts and match porting my su manifold.

I reckon $530 is a bit much to pay, I got my kit for $200, although it wasn't for a k. Only difference would be maybe a water pump pulley spacer and the belt though? Bought mine at the 'Nats, they wanted $300 I think.

Also, for those who already have a gilmer on their k series, do you know what size the belt is?

• 4 weeks later...
I reckon $530 is a bit much to pay, I got my kit for $200, although it wasn't for a k. Only difference would be maybe a water pump pulley spacer and the belt though? Bought mine at the 'Nats, they wanted $300 I think.

Also, for those who already have a gilmer on their k series, do you know what size the belt is?

considdering they were wanting NZD$700 each for the kits we managed to get the price down as far as we could. and that price did include shipping from NZ to AU with shipping insurence covering to the value of $1950 and was sent via fast post.

but at the end of the day you get what you pay for.....

my stereo isn't grounded properly and it sounds like a supercharger

have u tried not installing your stereo properly?

there's many way you can fix the problem of not having enough wank factor

oh by the way, if it aint broke, don't fix it. :y:

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

You could try contacting endeavour engineering in new Zealand who made them and ask. Don't expect it to be cheap though. I had all the original group but ones for Australia come to me and i posted them out from here.....and that was only 3x including mine.