Homers New Ke15 Build Up

homers_ke17

• 2 weeks later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo awesome... 10/10 from me! I'm kind of stuck with my KE15 right now, no inspiration coz of -30*c tempeature and lots of snow here in Finland... =(

Great to see that somewhere in world cars can still be modified, here in Finland you can hardly swamp 4K to KE1x, no luck with something like 4AGEZ ^^

It is great to see that all old Toyotas are not scrapped yet, its so hard to find parts nowdays! Rust is too common, EU tries to scrap all old cars and young people just modify new cars, scrapping old ones!

Long life to old Toyotas and all owners of them! :wink:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

So… I was very very fortunate to get this car off Homer in February this year. I promised updates… and it's better late than never ;)

When I picked the car up, he didn't have a name. This just wouldn't do so he has been christened Harvie.

As soon as he got the car home we started rectifying a few issues the car had (and before anyone gets on a soap box, Homer was very upfront and honest about everything before I bought the car) such at the car's tendency to overheat. A new thermo fan and a few other tweaks and the problem was resolved to a point. In the new year the car will be going in to have a new radiator custom made to make the very best of the very tight space and hopefully resolve the overheating issue for good.

There were also some other small changes that needed to be made for the differences in regs between VIC and NSW.

After three long weeks of playing the lovely game with NSW Roads and Maritime Service and getting the car to pass the 'driving' emissions test (second time lucky - thank you E85), and with a few very small structural changes to make my very helpful Engineer happy, he officially became a NSW resident.

The only other issue I have had was I had to evict a very annoying electrical gremlin that was determined to ruin the fun of driving by depriving me of fuel whenever they felt like it. Since then Harvie has been a very enjoyable daily driver.

And because I can't leave things allone, a few weeks ago I installed a front sway bar (after I finally found one, Signature Sway Bars in Sydney still have the template to make them and had it made in 4 weeks). The improvement in the steering and handling is incredible. If any one is looking to do one thing to improve their car, it should be that! I have also changed the front springs to softer ones to accommodate Sydney's wonderful roads.

The plans for the new year are to have the car engineered in QLD… :bash: Then the radiator. The tiny fuel tank's days are numbered as well. I will be replacing it with a custom made tank to try and improve the range. 25 litres does not get you far in North Queensland, which is where the car is now. I'm also going to move the pump and filter inside the tank as part of the fuel system overhaul.

Other than that, who knows what i will try to mess with next :yes:

I couldn't think of a better name! To think how far that car has come. Harvie put his heart and soul into it too.

And now you get to put your sweat and hopefully not too many tears into it.

If I ever get up to cairns to visit the rello's, I'll be keeping a look out for it.