20v Silvertop 1/4 Mile Times

ae92power

Ok so i have searched the topic of 20v 1/4 mile times quite extensively on google and also here on rollaclub, but i cannot seem to find a comprehensive answer...but ofcourse, if it has already been covered elsewhere please just let me know :D

I was hoping for mainly personal experience of track times, but anyone with a genuine opinion feel free to offer it as well

Any information on the modifications to the engine and car would be appreciated also :D

cheers.

Members dont see this ad
Ok so i have searched the topic of 20v 1/4 mile times quite extensively on google and also here on rollaclub, but i cannot seem to find a comprehensive answer...but ofcourse, if it has already been covered elsewhere please just let me know :D

I was hoping for mainly personal experience of track times, but anyone with a genuine opinion feel free to offer it as well

Any information on the modifications to the engine and car would be appreciated also :D

cheers.

You will find the chassis has as much of an impact on the time as the motor. Not every 20v car is gonna pull even a similar time. Most would be somewhere from 15-18 seconds for stock motors.

Are you asking front wheel or rear wheel drive times?

In my opinion a well set up manual street RWD 20v with good gearing (4.3-4.5:1) and some drag specific suspension tuning could do no better than 15 seconds flat for the 1/4 mile. The limitation being you can't really snap second at top revs with a t50, and the motor wont have the torque to pull 2nd off the line with any great force. You are kind of limited to pulling 6500 revs in first or its a 50-50 shot at getting second.

There is a roughly 500hp+ boosted 20v called 'Backyarder'. Search youtube. That little Front wheeler really hammers. I think its got a Rigoli Performance engine from memory, I may be wrong. Its sub 10 second material when it gets traction.

What car are you talking about?

Edited by LittleRedSpirit

Thanks heaps for the quick replies folks

ok i'll be sure to check out that youtube vid...i've seen most of the others on there and they look to go alright

as for what car it's for, it will be going into an ae92 hatch which currently has a 4afe in. Which btw, i recently took out to willowbank for some laughs and managed to pull a 17.8 :D with zero track experience haha. So in any case i'm hoping for a big improve on the current pb.

Luke-i'm not entirely sure of what you are saying? Are you saying that if i want to do well on the quarter mile i should go with a different engine? And if so, what do you suggest? Just hoping you could clarify :D

Littleredspirit-thanks for that link to those times and all the other info, yeah i'm pretty sure there would have to be more 0-400m runs than that on this forum ay. Anyway, just one more question, is the T50 the standard gearbox that i would find with a silvertop halfcut?

Btw my goal would be for times anywhere below 16 seconds :D

Cheers.

I guess what I was trying to say is that unless you are prepared for some serious engine work a 20 valve is not going to be very quick down the 1/4 mile.

If you want a quarter mile monster you are going to need to build a tough engine and turbo for sure.

It shouldn't be about quarter mile times anyway, revs and handling should be what Corollas are about if you ask me.

I much prefer some tight corners and long stretches in my Corolla rather than a straight flat piece of road :D

Thanks heaps for the quick replies folks

ok i'll be sure to check out that youtube vid...i've seen most of the others on there and they look to go alright

as for what car it's for, it will be going into an ae92 hatch which currently has a 4afe in. Which btw, i recently took out to willowbank for some laughs and managed to pull a 17.8 :D with zero track experience haha. So in any case i'm hoping for a big improve on the current pb.

Luke-i'm not entirely sure of what you are saying? Are you saying that if i want to do well on the quarter mile i should go with a different engine? And if so, what do you suggest? Just hoping you could clarify :D

Littleredspirit-thanks for that link to those times and all the other info, yeah i'm pretty sure there would have to be more 0-400m runs than that on this forum ay. Anyway, just one more question, is the T50 the standard gearbox that i would find with a silvertop halfcut?

Btw my goal would be for times anywhere below 16 seconds :D

Cheers.

A silvertop 20V in an AE92 will struggle to get you into the low 15 second mark (most of them are thrashed by now too). For 14-15 second NA times you'll need a highly worked blacktop 20V, or get a supercharged 4AGZE.

And the T50 is a RWD gearbox, and is therefore irrevelant for a FWD engine :D You'll most likely have a C50 gearbox in the AE92 currently, and the gearbox that will come with the halfcut will be either a C52 or C56 (hopefully C56, as it has better ratios), either one will drop right in in the place of the C50.

It shouldn't be about quarter mile times anyway, revs and handling should be what Corollas are about if you ask me.

THIS....

quarter mile times are about as meaningful as winning god of autosalon or a dyno shoot out.

Edited by Axentrik

AE92 with a 20v will probably be fun but not overly quick, by memory a 20v puts out 125kw so about 90 to 95fwkw in a car that ways 1200kg ??? 20v into 890kg ke30 =fun+. 20v turbo in a ke 30 yahoo, its simple math 90kw 1200kg v 200kw 900kg, i'll get arguements everywhere but you can't have enough power

AE92 with a 20v will probably be fun but not overly quick, by memory a 20v puts out 125kw so about 90 to 95fwkw in a car that ways 1200kg ??? 20v into 890kg ke30 =fun+. 20v turbo in a ke 30 yahoo, its simple math 90kw 1200kg v 200kw 900kg, i'll get arguements everywhere but you can't have enough power

90-95kw at the wheels is very good for a 20v, especially a silvertop. In practice, most put out 75-85kw, or only slightly more than a healthy smallport 16v. Take the factory flywheel figures for the 20Vs with a big grain of salt.

And AE92s are between 1000kg and 1100kg, not 1200 (unless you're taking kerb mass, in which case the KE30 will be more than 890kg for sure).

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

90-95kw at the wheels is very good for a 20v, especially a silvertop. In practice, most put out 75-85kw, or only slightly more than a healthy smallport 16v. Take the factory flywheel figures for the 20Vs with a big grain of salt.

And AE92s are between 1000kg and 1100kg, not 1200 (unless you're taking kerb mass, in which case the KE30 will be more than 890kg for sure).

I think we're getting of topic, someone said that 1/4 mile times mean nothing but if you raced a ke70 20v with 85kw against a ke70 20v turbo with 200kw i know which is going to win, anywhere any track

as hiro said ST 20v vary between 75 - 85kw atw on a good day :D plus 90% of people know that the power numbers for the ST/BT were inflated from the factory

Oh and the kerb weight for the ae9x vary's between 1060kg and 1090kg, i have based that upon the sx/gti/sx seca :D

I have heard of a BT running a 13.9 in an ae9x, but as to how believable that is who knows?

I guess what I was trying to say is that unless you are prepared for some serious engine work a 20 valve is not going to be very quick down the 1/4 mile.

If you want a quarter mile monster you are going to need to build a tough engine and turbo for sure.

I much prefer some tight corners and long stretches in my Corolla rather than a straight flat piece of road :D

Ah i see i see. Thanks for clearing that up Luke :D anyway, yeah i know that if i want wicked 1/4 times i'll have to go turbo anddd tough. But in actual fact i couldn't agree with you more about the corners buddy, infact I plan on getting out to Queensland Raceway for the saturday arvo sprints once the silvertop is in. I just want the quarter mile time as a reference for how quick it will be in a straight line. As i said, i'm not out to destroy the quarter, anything in the high 15s would be plenty good enough for me. But in any case thanks for your input mate :D

as hiro said ST 20v vary between 75 - 85kw atw on a good day :wink: plus 90% of people know that the power numbers for the ST/BT were inflated from the factory

Oh and the kerb weight for the ae9x vary's between 1060kg and 1090kg, i have based that upon the sx/gti/sx seca :wink:

I have heard of a BT running a 13.9 in an ae9x, but as to how believable that is who knows?

I think everyones overlooked the fact that a fwd car makes more power at the wheels with the same engine because its drivetrain drag is reduced compared to a rwd driveline.

If its 90kw atw in fwd its probably going to be 85 kw in rwd.

Also, the 20v power figures werent inflated, IMO. People forget that there are several HP scales accross the world and not all of them quantify a hp the same way. Also, they are a Japan market only engine that was designed to run better fuel than we have here in Australia. Id say that would account for a couple of missing hp on Australian setups featuring this motor. When people rwd them they switch the cooling system in such a way as it heats the intake (myself included) compared to the factory cooling system.

Ill say this. A 20v goes great in a fwd corolla. If I wanted a 20v in a fwd car I'd import a 6 speed AE111 and tune that over any domestic car.

I think everyones overlooked the fact that a fwd car makes more power at the wheels with the same engine because its drivetrain drag is reduced compared to a rwd driveline.

If its 90kw atw in fwd its probably going to be 85 kw in rwd.

Also, the 20v power figures werent inflated, IMO. People forget that there are several HP scales accross the world and not all of them quantify a hp the same way. Also, they are a Japan market only engine that was designed to run better fuel than we have here in Australia. Id say that would account for a couple of missing hp on Australian setups featuring this motor. When people rwd them they switch the cooling system in such a way as it heats the intake (myself included) compared to the factory cooling system.

Ill say this. A 20v goes great in a fwd corolla. If I wanted a 20v in a fwd car I'd import a 6 speed AE111 and tune that over any domestic car.

LittleRedSpirit I'm going to disagree with you on some points here.

the original poster wanted info about an 20v in a ae9x chassis i gave him info relevant to the ae8x/9x/10x.

i have personally seen a 20v in fwd format and in its a original chassis pull a maximum of 85kw atw. plus i have seen dyno figures from other 20v's that have been put in ae8x's/9x's and they make around the 70 - 85kw mark

and to put it in to perspective i dynoed my 16v same day as the 20v i got ~75 atw on my engine is old and tired.

i do digress here a bit

ill admit the 20v is a nicer refined engine over the 16v, but they arent the power houses people want them to be.

plus i will still stand by the statement that the factory power figures were inflated, because the engines were usually tested sans ancillaries :wink: