20v Silvertop 1/4 Mile Times

ae92power

I think everyones overlooked the fact that a fwd car makes more power at the wheels with the same engine because its drivetrain drag is reduced compared to a rwd driveline.

If its 90kw atw in fwd its probably going to be 85 kw in rwd.

Also, the 20v power figures werent inflated, IMO. People forget that there are several HP scales accross the world and not all of them quantify a hp the same way. Also, they are a Japan market only engine that was designed to run better fuel than we have here in Australia. Id say that would account for a couple of missing hp on Australian setups featuring this motor. When people rwd them they switch the cooling system in such a way as it heats the intake (myself included) compared to the factory cooling system.

Ill say this. A 20v goes great in a fwd corolla. If I wanted a 20v in a fwd car I'd import a 6 speed AE111 and tune that over any domestic car.

Sorry about taking so long to reply people, but life has been hectic.

But in any case, littleredspirit you have almost hit the nail on the head with my thoughts about the factory power outputs of the 20v motors :)

However I do believe that they must have been a teeny tiny bit inflated...seeing as our 98ron is not that different to the 100ron i believe they were factory tested on

But all in all i agree, and I do hope that like you've said, a 20v goes great in my fwd corolla :hmm:

cheers :bash:

Members dont see this ad
LittleRedSpirit I'm going to disagree with you on some points here.

the original poster wanted info about an 20v in a ae9x chassis i gave him info relevant to the ae8x/9x/10x.

i have personally seen a 20v in fwd format and in its a original chassis pull a maximum of 85kw atw. plus i have seen dyno figures from other 20v's that have been put in ae8x's/9x's and they make around the 70 - 85kw mark

and to put it in to perspective i dynoed my 16v same day as the 20v i got ~75 atw on my engine is old and tired.

i do digress here a bit

ill admit the 20v is a nicer refined engine over the 16v, but they arent the power houses people want them to be.

plus i will still stand by the statement that the factory power figures were inflated, because the engines were usually tested sans ancillaries :hmm:

Thats some good first hand info there, cheers mystik

Well seeing as you seem to know a bit about the power outputs of these things, what sort of gains do you, or any other members out there for that matter, reckon i could make on a silvertop with just a couple of 'bolt on' mods? :bash:

By this I mean, blacktop MAP sensor and ecu, a home made cold air intake with drop in K&N, new plugs, leads, new alloy radiator and cat back exhaust...i'll also just do the general maintenance needed to be done on a 15 year old engine too

And with these things done, does anyone think that I will be able to get into that 15 second bracket??

Cheers everyone :)

LittleRedSpirit I'm going to disagree with you on some points here.

the original poster wanted info about an 20v in a ae9x chassis i gave him info relevant to the ae8x/9x/10x.

i have personally seen a 20v in fwd format and in its a original chassis pull a maximum of 85kw atw. plus i have seen dyno figures from other 20v's that have been put in ae8x's/9x's and they make around the 70 - 85kw mark

and to put it in to perspective i dynoed my 16v same day as the 20v i got ~75 atw on my engine is old and tired.

i do digress here a bit

ill admit the 20v is a nicer refined engine over the 16v, but they arent the power houses people want them to be.

plus i will still stand by the statement that the factory power figures were inflated, because the engines were usually tested sans ancillaries :hmm:

Hmmm. I think youve totally misunderstood my point. Missed it by a mile.

The point isnt the number, the point is that it will put down more power in an 'equivalent' fwd setup. That is a known fact. If you put your 85KW fwd motor in rwd it will put down less than 85kw at the wheels. Thats quite clearly what I'm saying.

Its completely irreleveant how bad someones tired old fwd 20v is. What about all the fresh rwd setups which pump out 100kw at the wheels with the cooling system backwards? Ive heard of three different setups which achieve this, all silvertops. Imagine if they had a blacktop, there might be another pony or two on the chart. Have a look at SamQs dyno sheet. Homemade exhaust, water fittings and inlet manifold good for 100kw atw. Anthony Kellam recently told me of a stock silvertop that he tuned and it pulled 100kw atw.

Peak power is nothing anyhow. If its tuned well it will have good torque and drive very well. Its not often your bouncing off the rev limiter, so peak power shouldnt be your goal on a pure street car. I'm surprised someone like yourself would go claiming so many dyno numbers, when every dyno is different. I reckon if I had my Silvertop on the same dyno same day as your 16v when it pulled 75KW atw, Id have pulled 95kw atw, as my motor actually runs like new and has a very good tune on it, seemingly unlike a lot of the setups youve mentioned. Also, the majority of 20vs are in engine conversions in Australia so its a harder thing to compare power because every setup is going to be a bit individual.

The other point I make is the Blacktops especially don't like to run a stock ecu and our fuel. From all accounts ive heard they just don't run quite right on anything less than 100 octane. The Knock sensor is overactive and probably puts you on the safe timing map for the top end, thus limiting peak power.

If you really want to harness what a 20v can do on out fuel you need a programable ecu, IMO.

if you want drag times:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-5050.html = 17.700

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-6509.html = 17.500

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-17476.html = 16.677

mostly stock or close to.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota--Corolla-Drag-Racing.html = all rolla time slips. not much Aussies but you get a good idea of the cars and the work done

Edited by Reaper_Mobb

if you want drag times:

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-5050.html = 17.700

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-6509.html = 17.500

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota-Corolla-Timeslip-17476.html = 16.677

mostly stock or close to.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Toyota--Corolla-Drag-Racing.html = all rolla time slips. not much Aussies but you get a good idea of the cars and the work done

Yeah cheers for your help mate :P

dragtimes is a great website ay, and i've already checked out like every corolla on there :lolcry:

but unfortunately (well for me haha) there is only one silvertop on there, in an ae86, and he does a 15.8 and reckons he could have done much better with traction

which gives me hope :)

thanks again though mate.

If you guys are interested I had a ke55 with a 20v silvertop and it I raced my brothers ae82 with a 20v silvertop, his front was equal with my door the whole way.

Oh true stuff

Thanks for that Mark :P

I guess what you are trying to say is that a fwd silvertop will be pretty much equal to the rwd equivalent in terms of straight line speed?

Although the ke55 would have been a bit lighter wouldn't it?

Btw how did you find the silvertop powered corollas went compared to other cars mate? As in what sort of cars can one expect to beat in a straight line with the 20v?

Cheers :lolcry:

Oh true stuff

Thanks for that Mark :P

I guess what you are trying to say is that a fwd silvertop will be pretty much equal to the rwd equivalent in terms of straight line speed?

Btw how did you find the silvertop powered corollas went compared to other cars mate? As in what sort of cars can one expect to beat in a straight line with the 20v?

Cheers :lolcry:

A 20v is a drivers engine. Its designed for a pilot who is willing to keep revs up, heel toe, and really work the car. If you want to push your foot down and beat people in a straight line, there are far torquier motors that will give the desired result. A 20v in any rolla is a good handling package, rwd or fwd. Start with bigger more powerful motors to get speed, or boost the 20v, which is an exxy excercise (a bit cheaper to do in fwd as the conventionally available turbo manifolds, inlet and out, will usually work).

A 20v is a drivers engine. Its designed for a pilot who is willing to keep revs up, heel toe, and really work the car. If you want to push your foot down and beat people in a straight line, there are far torquier motors that will give the desired result. A 20v in any rolla is a good handling package, rwd or fwd. Start with bigger more powerful motors to get speed, or boost the 20v, which is an exxy excercise (a bit cheaper to do in fwd as the conventionally available turbo manifolds, inlet and out, will usually work).

Yeah i've sort of gathered that the 20v will often get outdone in a straight line...

But as you say, that sort of motor really needs to be worked to achieve its full potential :P

Also, I do plan on getting the car with the silvertop out to Queensland Raceway for some circuit work, and I am keen as a driver and I certainly don't mind a bit of heel and toeing haha

So I have no qualms there :lolcry:

However, I think I'll stick with the n/a 20v and keep it neat and tidy, rather than going turbo or a bigger displacement motor

I appreciate your help mate, and again, anyone one else who has an opinion, feel free to chip in :)

Cheers.

Oh true stuff

Thanks for that Mark :rolls:

Cheers :P

Well the ae82 being fwd loses less power to the wheels, while the ke55 has a slight weight advantage so it evened out. His car also had aftermarket extractors.

20v in a light car should go good against most 4cyl cars. I remember being a few car lengths ahead of a FTO one night...

Edited by mark1414

• 12 years later...

😀 Me agrada sus aportes yo configure mi 4age Black top en un ae95 awd la verdad es que en cuuarto de milla sale muy bien pero al final pierde potencia, y lo que estoy haciendo es alivianar mi motor para quitarle la carga directa. 

No es turbo x que estoy en esa categoria participando. La verdad lo siento muy estable con la tracción y con seguridad mejorare la potencia. 

Alguien podria ayudarme a como reconocer la serie de mi transmision?  Quiero ver si puedo mejorar los sincronismos de cada marcha. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/24/2022 at 3:20 PM, Supra king rider said:

😀 Me agrada sus aportes yo configure mi 4age Black top en un ae95 awd la verdad es que en cuuarto de milla sale muy bien pero al final pierde potencia, y lo que estoy haciendo es alivianar mi motor para quitarle la carga directa. 

No es turbo x que estoy en esa categoria participando. La verdad lo siento muy estable con la tracción y con seguridad mejorare la potencia. 

Alguien podria ayudarme a como reconocer la serie de mi transmision?  Quiero ver si puedo mejorar los sincronismos de cada marcha. 

Es posible que deba publicar una foto de la caja de cambios o buscar cosas en el catálogo de piezas y confirmar lo que tiene.