Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starlets of that era, particularly those with 4-KE engines,

such as the models in the US, have electronic distributors,

but these had the ignitor built in. I believe these are identical

to those fitted to 5Ks.

I have fitted one to my 4K.

I'm not sure if they had models with external ignitors for these cars.

The wrecker yard in Malaysia where I got it from also had ones

with external ignitors, but the owner told me he was reluctant

to sell me those because their electronic coils which they were

mounted on were hard to replace if they failed. Probably

different impedance.

Mine came with a Hanshin coil.

I forgot to buy a spare coil from him at that time which would

have cost just M$10. He no longer stocks them, and the last

time I passed by, he had moved his yard.

He said the coils for those built-in ignitors were more readily

available. I think any of those resistorless Hanshin electonic coils

or the Hitachi C1Z-500, which I can get in the spare parts shops here,

are usable. Costs around M$50 for new one.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who is interested, I have just received one of these from the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-TOYOTA...=item5d247955ad

It is an external ignitor dizzy from a 4K equipped Starlet which I plan to try and run with an ignitor from a 21R.

Crowd was really good to deal with. Postage to Australia $46.50

It's remanufactured with new rotor button, cap etc

Looks a great deal

• 6 months later...
For anyone who is interested, I have just received one of these from the US.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1982-TOYOTA...=item5d247955ad

It is an external ignitor dizzy from a 4K equipped Starlet which I plan to try and run with an ignitor from a 21R.

okay digging up an old thread here, but i noticed that ebay link is still active

anyway i'd really like to put an electric dizzy in my ke55 4k stock engine.

Can I just buy this off ebay (says from 1.3 4kc engine like mine, just for a starlet) and just get a mechanic to put it in for me?? anything else i need to buy (igniter? resistor???)

ive read over the faq, and i ebay searched for toyota liteace distributor and came up with nothing

cheers

What does the ignitor look like Taz?? A fat transistor with two wires?

I'm currently hunting around for electronic options for the 4K. Just the transistorised voltage booster would do, and keep running the points on a lower current.

Seems like there are-

-Kits from electronics people like Jaycar that you assemble.

-Aftermarket boxes that you bolt in. Some seem to be replacing the points with a Hall Effect sensor, others run with points.

-Replacements from other cars that fit, like the Starlet dizzy above.

A lot of the stuff on the web is from years back and is no longer available. Anyone got some recent ideas?

Ok, to help get your head around it a little more - All an ignitor really is is a fast switching, high voltage, earthing relay.

When used on a carby engine (like a 4k) - its needed to earth the coil, when directed to by an electronic pulse from the elec dizzy, as the elec dizzy doesn't earth itself out like the points dizzy does.

When used on and EFI engine - When running ECU controlled ignition the elec dizzy/CAS gives the same sort of electronic pulse to the ECU as above. The ECU can then manipulate the timing and give out another delayed/advanced pulse for the ignitor to fire the coil. The ECU needs to earth the coil to fire it, and if it earthed through the ECU it would be giving the ECU the discharge voltage of the coil....... which will quickly fry your ECU. So all the ignitor does in the case is take the pulse from the ECU and ground the coil directly to an earth - exactly like powering something with a relay from a given trigger.

So what I'm getting at is you just need an ignitor. Doesn't matter what its really from as they all do the same thing. Working out what wires are what in/out of the ignitor would be the next problem though.

My dizzy is sitting in a box with all my other new bits for the KE15. It looks very shiny. So no update sorry. Waiting on finishing my AE86 (soon) so I can move it out of the shed and bring the KE15 in.

My intention is to connect it up the same as outlined in a thread on Toymods where the guy has given a detailed description of retrofitting 21R/22R celica components into 2T, 2TG etc denso dizzies.

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=25842

The starlet electronic dizzy I got is from about the same generation as the 21R/22R Celica's, so I am confident the external ignitor of these will suit.

The dizzy is so cheap and fully overhauled, I reckon it is worth it. After years of hassles with points, I have no intention of ever running them again!

What does the ignitor look like Taz?? A fat transistor with two wires?

I'm currently hunting around for electronic options for the 4K. Just the transistorised voltage booster would do, and keep running the points on a lower current.

Universal High Energy Ignition Kit looks like it would be better suited for a simple upgrade if you are happy to retain your points.

FYI I've been running a similar kit for 5-6 years or more with the same set of points.

• 2 weeks later...

Reconditioned electronic dizzy from a starlet listed above is on sale for $35 USD for the next 24 hours only!

12 of them still available

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...em=400043890093

I just bought it, with postage of $55 USD to Sydney that came to just under $110 AUD

just need an ignitor now... anyone know where I can find one that'll suit?